Ideal RAM 1500 configurations for towing Escape 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Thanks Dave & Steve, with configuration for the truck finalized I'll shop around more to get better price.

Steve, the $38K price you paid for $52K MSRP is an extremely good deal! What time of the year did you buy that? I have visited a couple of dealers and called a few more, it's surprising to see how fast trucks are selling these days, so dealers have been pretty firm in pricing. Maybe it's because of location, I live in Seattle area, the most popular vehicle here is Subaru, I didn't think I would want a truck a few years back but now I am, perhaps there are a lot of new demand for truck now. The best quote I got was dropping a $55K MSRP Lamamie to $48K, I wanted to wait a bit and they sold the truck to someone else on the same day.

Jason
dragontale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontale View Post
Thanks Dave & Steve, with configuration for the truck finalized I'll shop around more to get better price.

Steve, the $38K price you paid for $52K MSRP is an extremely good deal! What time of the year did you buy that? I have visited a couple of dealers and called a few more, it's surprising to see how fast trucks are selling these days, so dealers have been pretty firm in pricing. Maybe it's because of location, I live in Seattle area, the most popular vehicle here is Subaru, I didn't think I would want a truck a few years back but now I am, perhaps there are a lot of new demand for truck now. The best quote I got was dropping a $55K MSRP Lamamie to $48K, I wanted to wait a bit and they sold the truck to someone else on the same day.

Jason
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 in April of 2019 . The dealer I bought it from deals in volume and he had over 250 new trucks on his lot
We bought my wife a new car (2019 ) from the same dealer MSRP was $41,000 and we paid $27,200 for the vehicle
We did not get any special deal , the price we paid was the price they quoted on their web site . In other words they don’t haggle over price , the quoted price is the price
The only bad thing is that the dealer is over 100 miles from our home but so far our local dealer has handled any warranty issues / recalls without any problems or objections
We also looked at Ford F150’s which are really nice trucks but a similarly equipped Ford was over $7000 more from a local dealer who has since closed up shop .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Question: In the past, I have heard this discussion among friends in the farming industry. There has been a distinct price and option difference in dealing with urban car/truck dealers and those dealers primarily serving farming communities. I don't remember which way the deals leaned; does anyone have some knowledgeable input on that??
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Jason,

There are two large volume dealers in Idaho: Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith, each of which often have hundreds of Rams. They don't advertise as much as some, but both do huge business.

Then there are scattered dealers that offer free Lifetime Power Train Warranty. I've often considered those, but don't know what the catch is, or if they ever pay on anything. Supposedly all you have to do is every single service called for in the owners' manual, but not necessarily with that dealer, as long as your records are complete.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #25

That's really timely information, Bill. I found Dave Smith on the web and just contacted them. Will check Dennis Dillon next. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 in April of 2019 . The dealer I bought it from deals in volume and he had over 250 new trucks on his lot
We bought my wife a new car (2019 ) from the same dealer MSRP was $41,000 and we paid $27,200 for the vehicle
We did not get any special deal , the price we paid was the price they quoted on their web site . In other words they don’t haggle over price , the quoted price is the price
The only bad thing is that the dealer is over 100 miles from our home but so far our local dealer has handled any warranty issues / recalls without any problems or objections
We also looked at Ford F150’s which are really nice trucks but a similarly equipped Ford was over $7000 more from a local dealer who has since closed up shop .
I looked the both Ford 150 and Ram 1500, I'd be happy to go with either one, but decided to go with Ram. To me Ram 1500 offers a more comfortable ride for local driving, it drives almost the same as my Acura MDX, maybe even smoother. More importantly Ram is priced lower for similar capabilities, the dealers are more willing to help and negotiate the price. I went to the largest Ford dealer in the area, after test drove Ford 150 I asked about price, the sales lady pretty much told me MSRP, take it or leave it.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Question: In the past, I have heard this discussion among friends in the farming industry. There has been a distinct price and option difference in dealing with urban car/truck dealers and those dealers primarily serving farming communities. I don't remember which way the deals leaned; does anyone have some knowledgeable input on that??
I'm sure dealers in both types of area will claim they have the best price. Around here, there is a cluster of dealerships in a town an hour out Edmonton who claim that they have better prices due to low overhead costs out of the city, and yet every year when people came in from around the province for Canadian Final Rodeo and Farmfair each year it was widely reported that many made that trip a shopping trip for trucks at a better price than they could get at home (in rural communities).

My guess is that online shopping has made historical experience with relative pricing nearly irrelevant.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... IDK about "Achilles heal" but I've never had to use "Shanks pony" due to a flat!!! BTW glad to see yer back.
Last year at Niagara Wine Escape there were 4 Ram pickups as TV's. Folks thought it was a Ram fest!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I thought it was Escape/Ram rally!
allenmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
I use ram for my 5.0.....5.7 hemi no other upgrades on the truck........has worked fine for 2 years now
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Turning radius

Recommend using the Escape handout on 5.0 tow vehicle turning radius to evaluate what turning radius you’ll have for your particular truck and hitch arrangement. I have the Ram 1500 quad cab with Anderson Ultimate and it was very tight. It requires me to have the Anderson hitch ball Receiver forward in combination with having the hitch ball in its highest position. This way the hitch clears the side beds. In hindsight, I wish I had ordered the high axel 5.0 to increase bed clearance while keeping trailer absolutely level.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I tow my 2020 5.0 with a 2019 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Crewcab and 5.7 bed. I use a 16K standard 5th wheel hitch. I have the basic Tradesman model with few options but has the tow package with integrated brake controller. Total cargo carrying capacity is 1,560 and trailer towing is 8,600. I personally don't feel you need airbags. I'm not sure if my mirrors are the trailer mirrors or not but I can easily see traffic on both sides of the camper. The truck tows the camper effortlessly and we just finished a 9,000 mile trip. You should consider the EcoDiesel given exceptional gas mileage and range (17 -19 towing and 27 - 29 not towing - both highway). The new Gen 3 diesel in the 2020 models gets even better mileage and more power. Escape told me the 5.0 was designed to be towed by a 1500 series truck. I have plently of turning radius with this set-up.
jhampel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenna View Post
.... In hindsight, I wish I had ordered the high axel 5.0 to increase bed clearance while keeping trailer absolutely level.
Just FYI it's simply a spacer and can be easily added to the standard axle by any competent RV / automotive service facility or even DIY if you have appropriate skills / tools. It's a strictly bolt-on procedure with no axle replacement or re-alignment required (the original axle bracket which determines the alignment is not disturbed). It's exactly how ETI does it at the factory.

See this Dexter webpage, scroll down to item K71-707-02: Frame Spacer Kit, that's the one to fit the Torflex #10 axles used by ETI on late model 5.0TA trailers.

Google with that PN is likely your friend for finding Canadian sources for the kit (at least that works for the US).

Here's a link to Dexter's installation instructions with lots of pictures on US vendor e-trailer's server if curious.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Greetings and congratulations on you 5.0 TA Dragon tale!
We just picked up our 5.0 TA by transfer to Missoula, with a 2020 Ram Crew.
Our setup; Hemi E-torque 4wd, 3.21 E-lock diff, standard fuel tank, tow mirrors, blind spot alert, 12 in infotainment, Andersen Ultimate Connection Gooseneck toolbox version and B&W underbed gooseneck hitch
We had a wonderful trip, mountain driving with ease 5.0 in tow. She towed with ease and rode smoothly ( and level ) With factory off-road suspension (non-air).
I love the e-Torque! Please consider it for extra torque smoothness and gas mileage!
Attached Thumbnails
41B4FAF7-F454-4DC0-8273-FF2EB9FA15CC.jpg   AE5DB536-4D92-480C-AD72-68B86FEE6A21.jpg   75E780E4-1F6E-4447-B72A-EEDC9BC36E4F.jpg   01C63862-5187-4918-8242-27DE46D2DC40.jpg  
Cogswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #34

Payload 1387 pounds
Old 09-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How does blind spot alert work with a trailer in tow?
I believe I have to turn it off on my Highlander.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 PM   #36

A pic of the payload plate
Attached Thumbnails
63CF17C7-2F93-434D-BE39-12486C32712A.jpg  
Old 09-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #37

Blind spot alert in the new Ram calculates Tralee length, alerts you by light and tone that it’s done so, then lights an alert in the outside review mirror if a vehicle is in the calculated combined blind spot.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswheel View Post
Greetings and congratulations on you 5.0 TA Dragon tale!
We just picked up our 5.0 TA by transfer to Missoula, with a 2020 Ram Crew.
Our setup; Hemi E-torque 4wd, 3.21 E-lock diff, standard fuel tank, tow mirrors, blind spot alert, 12 in infotainment, Andersen Ultimate Connection Gooseneck toolbox version and B&W underbed gooseneck hitch
We had a wonderful trip, mountain driving with ease 5.0 in tow. She towed with ease and rode smoothly ( and level ) With factory off-road suspension (non-air).
I love the e-Torque! Please consider it for extra torque smoothness and gas mileage!
Hi Cogswheel,
That's a beautiful setup you got. Do you have a 5'7" bed? What's your turning radius with that, aks can you turn easily without hitting the back of the cab?

Thanks
Jason
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhampel View Post
I tow my 2020 5.0 with a 2019 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Crewcab and 5.7 bed. I use a 16K standard 5th wheel hitch. I have the basic Tradesman model with few options but has the tow package with integrated brake controller. Total cargo carrying capacity is 1,560 and trailer towing is 8,600. I personally don't feel you need airbags. I'm not sure if my mirrors are the trailer mirrors or not but I can easily see traffic on both sides of the camper. The truck tows the camper effortlessly and we just finished a 9,000 mile trip. You should consider the EcoDiesel given exceptional gas mileage and range (17 -19 towing and 27 - 29 not towing - both highway). The new Gen 3 diesel in the 2020 models gets even better mileage and more power. Escape told me the 5.0 was designed to be towed by a 1500 series truck. I have plently of turning radius with this set-up.
Hi Jhampel,
That's great to hear Ram 1500 with 5'7" bed works well for you, that will give me a lot more trucks I can consider. Do you have pictures of your hitch and setup? What's your turning radius?

Thanks
Jason
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #40

Yes we have the 5’7” bed, and turning radius hadn’t been any issue (23.1 ft per web). She tows well, and maneuvering/backing hasn’t been an issue.
My Andersen coupler in forward position gives me best clearance at the tailgate and behind truck (tried it initially in rearward position and things seemed tight) .
Note trailer charges from the in bed towing connector when plugged and running, pretty helpful using front jacks on 5.0; wonder how much Ram etorque system or Ford generators will be helpful Reassurance over time;

Tags
5.0, bed size, ram 1500, towing