I'm a noob - e2 vs Equalizer with Sway Control Bar - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: None yet
I'm a noob - e2 vs Equalizer with Sway Control Bar

I have more a less decided on ordering 21C and pretty much everything has been decided except for one thing - the hitch option.

I've watched many Youtube videos and also this forum but I still can't get a clear idea which is "better".

So for those who have experienced using both, which is easier to use? e2 is $900 and Equalizer with bar is $600, but does higher cost equate to a better product in this case?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Are you talking about the Fastway E2? I see them for sale in the 600/6000 lb capacity variant on ETrailer for $500.

I used to use a 600/6000 Equal-i-zer. Looking at the Fastway, they look to be about the same design and work the same. It doesn't look to me like there would be much to recommend one over the other in terms of use.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
I recommend calling Fastway directly. I have found their technical support helpful. From my conversation with them I recall the main difference between the E2 and Equalizer hitches is that the Equalizer has 4 points of sway control and the E2 has 2.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
I have more a less decided on ordering 21C and pretty much everything has been decided except for one thing - the hitch option.

I've watched many Youtube videos and also this forum but I still can't get a clear idea which is "better".

So for those who have experienced using both, which is easier to use? e2 is $900 and Equalizer with bar is $600, but does higher cost equate to a better product in this case?
I purchased the e2 fast way from ETI for an e19. The 900can cost from ETI includes the “setup” whereas direct from fastway is 673can + shipping (it weighs 77lbs!). I am glad I have the e2 as it is easy to setup on the trailer and makes for a solid towing experience..recommend!
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
In my opinion the equalizer is the best in class hitch from a technical standpoint...I've used one on a prior trailer. Having said that I bought the fastway e-2 for my escape and it works just fine for a trailer of this size and weight. You can't go wrong either way, whatever is most convenient to obtain and cost would be my decision points.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If I had a 19 or 21 NE I would use Fastway E2 with it's extra sway control as the tongue weight can get a bit light in certain circumstances. A 21C is almost impossible to have too little tongue weight and the Pro Series or "Equalizer" as ETI calls it works great and is easier to use and maintain.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Be aware the "Equalizer" from Escape is not the same as the "Equal-i-zer" that is similar to the Fastway E2 (but with 4 pt. sway control). The "Equal-i-zer" is not offered by Escape, and I think the Escape "Equalizer" is the Pro Series.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Are you talking about the Fastway E2? I see them for sale in the 600/6000 lb capacity variant on ETrailer for $500.

I used to use a 600/6000 Equal-i-zer. Looking at the Fastway, they look to be about the same design and work the same. It doesn't look to me like there would be much to recommend one over the other in terms of use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA;402844...
From my conversation with them I recall the main difference between the E2 and Equalizer hitches is that the Equalizer has 4 points of sway control and the E2 has 2.
The Equal-i-zer and E2 use the same design of trailer-end brackets with the spring bars sliding in them for friction (to provide sway control), but different heads. The E2 has a conventional WD head; the Equal-i-zer head clamps the spring bar sockets to add friction there as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
Be aware the "Equalizer" from Escape is not the same as the "Equal-i-zer" that is similar to the Fastway E2 (but with 4 pt. sway control). The "Equal-i-zer" is not offered by Escape, and I think the Escape "Equalizer" is the Pro Series.
Great point. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting. FWIW I recently purchased, installed and setup the genuine Equal-i-zer 600/6000# model with 4 point integrated sway control and I can’t begin to tell you the difference it makes in towing. Over 800 miles with it since the installation and the trailer rides rock solid. Highly recommend.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37061ET.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post399274
Old 11-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
One additional comment on the advantage of a E2 (or Equalizer) hitch. The porpoising of the trailer/TV is nearly eliminated with such a hitch. The "towing experience" is improved significantly.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
One additional comment on the advantage of a E2 (or Equalizer) hitch. The porpoising of the trailer/TV is nearly eliminated with such a hitch. The "towing experience" is improved significantly.
Escape sells an E2 made by Fastway and a stupidly named "Equalizer" which is a Pro Series with 600" bars.

For anyone ordering a Pro Series be aware that less is more. A model with 10,000 lb. bars may be less money because people with Hella Heavy Stickies need 'em. With an Escape 600 lb. bars are better(and is what ETI sells) as the 10K bars are just too stiff.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
With an Escape 600 lb. bars are better(and is what ETI sells) as the 10K bars are just too stiff.
And, the Pro Series also prevents sway and porpoising ( like those mentioned in this thread), but if you are convinced that spending more than you need to is of value, then spend more.
Very few people have towed the same trailer with each of the WD Hitches to make a proper comparison.