Interpreting my F150 build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Interpreting my F150 build

I just bought this truck from a local used car dealer. It's a 2018 F150 XLT 4WD Supercab. I spent about a month looking for just the right 2017 or 2018 to haul or soon to be 5.0TA and finally found this one. The dealer says he has several Canadian sources and he's had great luck importing them. I got the truck December 31st (as a way of saying good riddance to 2020 I suppose). No issues, the truck is great shape.

My question relates to the build. I've attached the a copy of the window sticker. I think I've managed to interpret, with help from Google, all of the options. What I'm puzzled by is the lack of any mention of tow packages. I've got the trailer hitch, trailer back up assist and 36 gallon gas tank, along with a tonneau cover that looks like a Ford installed option but I don't see any of these on the window sticker. Are Canadian options packages different or did I just misinterpret something?
Attached Thumbnails
window_sticker.jpg   truck.jpg  
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW Google translates your window sticker entry "ENSEMBLE DE REMORQUAGE" as "TOWING KIT" (= 'tow package' ?)

https://translate.google.com/?sl=aut...E&op=translate

And yes, model content, option package bundling, and option package content often differ in details between Ford CA and Ford USA (as it does for many manufacturers serving both markets, even though vehicles may be assembled in one common factory for both markets).
Old 01-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't read the window sticker. My XLT series came with a tow package and has a built in "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller" as part of the package. Does yours?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #4

Ah, thanks! I must have missed a line.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can't read the window sticker. My XLT series came with a tow package and has a built in "Integrated Trailer Break Controller" as part of the package. Does yours?
FWIW the 2018 US F-150 XLT Order Guide says the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller was included with the optional "Max Trailer Tow Package" (option code 53C) but had to be ordered as a separate stand-alone option if one got the optional "(non-Max) Trailer Tow Package" (option code 53B). Both include the Trailer Backup Assist.

That may or may not have been the case in Canada (?), I don't have access to Canadian Order Guides.

Edit - I see that the OP's window sticker stand-alone entry "comm freins remorque integree" translates as "comm integrated trailer brakes" and "reservoir carburant 136L (36G)" as "136L (36 gallon) fuel tank"

That just leaves the tonneau cover, which could well have been a genuine Ford item (accessory) but dealer-installed so not listed on the window sticker.

BTW, Nice Truck!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

I saw the brake controller and the 36 gallon tank. Interesting that these items have no price. And they don’t see to be logically next to related items.

Thanks, really nice truck, especially for an ETI 5.0
Old 01-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
My 2016 F150 was built in Dearborn,Michigan for export to Canada. It lists "trailer Tow package" line item under "functional at the top of build sheet. I assume this is NOT the max tow package. I bought the truck in Florida last June.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I ordered the Ford tonneau cover with my built to order 2018 F150 & it appeared on the truck, but not on the window sticker. 1st level tow package that did not include the integrated controller - it had to be added & did appear on the window sticker.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

Thanks, all these clues are helping me get it figured out.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
I just bought this truck from a local used car dealer. It's a 2018 F150 XLT 4WD Supercab. I spent about a month looking for just the right 2017 or 2018 to haul or soon to be 5.0TA and finally found this one. The dealer says he has several Canadian sources and he's had great luck importing them. I got the truck December 31st (as a way of saying good riddance to 2020 I suppose). No issues, the truck is great shape.

My question relates to the build. I've attached the a copy of the window sticker. I think I've managed to interpret, with help from Google, all of the options. What I'm puzzled by is the lack of any mention of tow packages. I've got the trailer hitch, trailer back up assist and 36 gallon gas tank, along with a tonneau cover that looks like a Ford installed option but I don't see any of these on the window sticker. Are Canadian options packages different or did I just misinterpret something?
If it means anything, my first F-150 was a 2012 3.5L EcoBoost bought off the lot because I needed a truck quickly. It had a receiver but the brake control module had to be added. I towed a Scamp 19 with it for two years and then my 5.0TA back from Chilliwack. I had no problem either trailer, so I’m not sure if the Max Tow Package which it did not have is really necessary to tow a 5.0TA. And I did not have the Max Tow Package on my 2015 2.7L and it handled my 5.0TA, no problem.

But I believe that the VIN number can be decoded to tell you what packages and special equipment is on your truck. If you have a smart phone, get the Ford Pass app.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
...But I believe that the VIN number can be decoded to tell you what packages and special equipment is on your truck. If you have a smart phone, get the Ford Pass app.
A vehicle VIN, in itself, does not include codes revealing all options and packages. The VIN does, however, allow any cooperative dealer for that brand to print-out the build sheet for that specific vehicle which does reveal all such information. Dealers can access that readily via their computer links to the manufacturer's service database.

The Ford Pass app may allow an owner to retrieve that info for their owned vehicle?

IME most dealers are 'cooperative' with regard to providing that information print-out free of charge when approached in-person with the subject vehicle present (rather than by phone or email).

Attached, FYI, is a PDF of both the 'VIN Decode' (page 1) and the 'Build Sheet' (pages 2-4) for my F150 illustrating the difference in information between the two. In this case the Build Sheet was retrieved from Ford's ETIS database via a personal subscription.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F150 VIN Decode vs Build Sheet.pdf (635.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
A vehicle VIN, in itself, does not include codes revealing all options and packages. The VIN does, however, allow any cooperative dealer for that brand to print-out the build sheet for that specific vehicle which does reveal all such information. Dealers can access that readily via their computer links to the manufacturer's service database.

The Ford Pass app may allow an owner to retrieve that info for their owned vehicle?

IME most dealers are 'cooperative' with regard to providing that information print-out when approached in-person with the subject vehicle present (rather than by phone or email).
Vin and $8.00 will get you the build sheet online. No dealer intervention necessary. Google is your friend here, or go to F150forum.com
Old 01-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Vin and $8.00 will get you the build sheet online. No dealer intervention necessary. Google is your friend here, or go to F150forum.com
That's how I got my French window sticker. The only term I haven't been able to interpret so far is "blindages" for $120 CAD. Google tells me this means "shields" but I didn't have any luck with the F150 order guide. The only thing I could come up with is the hood deflector but I don' think that's it. Maybe skid plates? Too cold for me to climb underneath to look, but $120 seems too cheap.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
That's how I got my French window sticker. The only term I haven't been able to interpret so far is "blindages" for $120 CAD. Google tells me this means "shields" but I didn't have any luck with the F150 order guide. The only thing I could come up with is the hood deflector but I don' think that's it. Maybe skid plates? Too cold for me to climb underneath to look, but $120 seems too cheap.
truck window sticker.pdf here it is
Old 01-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
My iTranslate app translates “blindages” from Canadian French as “blinds” in English. Would that make sense?
ColoradoSwany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #16

Maybe the window deflectors? Otherwise, no clue.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ford uses "blindages" in it's online material in French (from fr.ford.ca) to describe various underbody shields, such as on the fuel tank and transfer case. These are not really substantial enough to be skid plates; they protect those components from damage due to debris such as bouncing gravel. CA$120 seems reasonable for a couple of those; it wouldn't be enough to pay for a skid plate, even if Ford offered it.

As an example, I found an old F-150 brochure online which included
Quote:
Blindages (FX4; différentiel avant, boîte de transfert et
réservoir de carburant)
... meaning that the FX4 off-road package includes shields for the front differential, transfer case, and fuel tank.

"Blindages" could also mean mud flaps (which shield the body). In brochures, I see it listed without further description as an exterior feature, particularly for 4X4 trucks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #18

F150 build - what's my payload?

Thanks for all the help deciphering my 2018 US built/Canadian stickered F150. New question has popped up. The window sticker (and the white door sticker) says I'm good for 6500# towing, which makes sense when I look at the options. But I'm confused by the payload. According to the Ford chart for 2018 trucks, I should be good for 1800#. But the yellow/red sticker on my door says 1176#. Am I reading this wrong? Or does Canada calculate this differently?
Attached Thumbnails
White sticker.jpg   Yellow Red sticker.png  
Old 01-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks for all the help deciphering my 2018 US built/Canadian stickered F150. New question has popped up. The window sticker (and the white door sticker) says I'm good for 6500# towing, which makes sense when I look at the options. But I'm confused by the payload. According to the Ford chart for 2018 trucks, I should be good for 1800#. But the yellow/red sticker on my door says 1176#. Am I reading this wrong? Or does Canada calculate this differently?
Hi Rich, payload and tow rating are two different things. I believe some are towing with your payload, you will need to be traveling very very light if you want to stay below your payload number.

You just bought the truck, you may want to talk to the dealer to see if they have any return policy.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Rich,
I can’t tell from either of your photos, but the F-150 with 3.5L EcoBoost tow rating is typically at or around 10,000 lbs. But I’m not sure how much the 4WD configuration affects that. Ford has on-line charts that will tell you. It would definitely be beneficial to have a greater payload capacity than what your sticker indicates. In spite of what ETI published about pinweight (650 lbs), it is much closer to 750 lbs.