Is 650 lb Tongue Weight for 21C Too Much? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If you want to get picky…there may be a tongue weight limit printed on the trailer info sticker in the closet as there is on my 2018 - 19. I am at that limit.
Hmmm, my new-to-me 2012 19' has the same 180kg tongue load statement on the closet sticker. I weighed my tongue and got 525 lb with half a tank of fresh water (behind the axles) and practically empty gray & black tanks (in front of axles).

I'm not sure I could achieve the 400 lb target even with an empty trailer! The cargo box contains two 6V Trojans, and there are two 20 lb LP tanks (one is half empty). I think those items contribute quite a bit to the tongue weight.

I really haven't added much weight up front. Some leveling blocks and two water hoses in the box, the front cupboards contain towels and other lightweight stuff, and I have maybe 20 lbs of wood pellets under one dinette seat. Outdoor grills, charcoal, 1 lb LP tanks, detachable power cable, and 75' of extension cords are all under the rear bed.

I suppose my Sherline could be inaccurate (reading higher than actual).
Old 05-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If you want to get picky…there may be a tongue weight limit printed on the trailer info sticker in the closet as there is on my 2018 - 19. I am at that limit.
Thanks! Our Escape has a metal shelving unit in the closet, where we keep our clothes, and I had quite forgotten there was a sticker in there!

The sticker says that tongue-weight limit for our 21C is 699. So if the Sherline scale is right, we're within the range. The sticker outside just says that the tongue weight should be within 10 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight. I've yet to weigh ours, so can't be sure, but from what others say here, c. 650 might not be too bad.

BTW, the closet sticker lists all the appliance model numbers, too. That could be useful; I'm printing out a photo to keep with the manuals.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:06 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
The load it is rated to carry is 400 lbs. That isn't the maximum tongue weight.
The sticker says "Tongue load range," but gives only one number. So I assume that's the maximum. If not, what does "rated to carry" mean?
Old 05-14-2023, 03:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 21NE
MrLynn. I am wrong. The 400 lbs could not be the maximum tongue weight of my escape so I assumed it was the load it could carry. Ignore what I said. I will remove or edit what I posted.

I have no idea what the 400 lbs is. A 5,000 lb trailer should have at least 10% to 13% of 5000 lbs on the tongue to help minimize sway. That is 500 lbs to 650 lbs.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
MrLynn. I am wrong. The 400 lbs could not be the maximum tongue weight of my escape so I assumed it was the load it could carry. Ignore what I said. I will remove or edit what I posted.

I have no idea what the 400 lbs is. A 5,000 lb trailer should have at least 10% to 13% of 5000 lbs on the tongue to help minimize sway. That is 500 lbs to 650 lbs.
Bob, you posed a question, so you don't need to edit or remove it.

And it's a good question, too. The '699 pounds' on my sticker makes sense (it's about 14% of the GVWR of 5,000), but '400' on your E19 doesn't, as the GVWR is also 5,000. Unless they're really talking about tongue-cargo limits? Your batteries up front could affect those (our batteries are in the very back).

Anyone out there know?
Old 05-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always recommended that each owner acquire a Tonge Weight scale to accurately measure the weight, not what is posted inside the closet. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-5...44032086&psc=1
Old 05-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always recommended that each owner acquire a Tonge Weight scale to accurately measure the weight, not what is posted inside the closet. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-5...44032086&psc=1
Did that. Now trying to understand it all (see first post).
Old 05-15-2023, 06:40 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Get the 1000 pound one

If buying or borrowing a Sherline, try to get the one that goes to 1000 pounds. It would probably measure the 400 to 700 pound result more accurately than one rated to 2000 or 5000.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Tongue weight can be figured out on a commercial scale.
Any place that sells produce by weight. I went to the locale landscape supply place when they weren’t busy and asked if I could get three different weights.
I put 5 dollars in their coffee kitty.

Hooked up the trailer with it packed.
Drove just the tow vehicle on the scale and got the weight, Drove forward and got the weight of both. .unhooked the trailer and got the tow vehicle weight a second time.

With a little bit of subtraction , I now know the tongue weight and the GVW of the trailer
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:42 PM   #30
Site Team

Update: Correct tw is 525+

UPDATE:

Finally got round to weighing the tongue with the Sherline scale in the correct position (ball housing). With the 'garage' (under-bed storage) pretty loaded with stuff, just 2 gallons water in black tank, 0 in grey tank, fresh 1/3rd (behind axle0, one full propane bottle, tongue now weighs c. 525 lbs. That's more reasonable than the 650.

Of course with the 'fridge full, and full tanks, we'd have more weight, and the trailer was not quite level, so there might be more on the hitch. But I'm more comfortable knowing we're somewhere in the ballpark, since the max is said to be 699.

Belated thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:03 AM   #31

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
UPDATE: Finally got round to weighing the tongue with the Sherline scale in the correct position (ball housing).

the trailer was not quite level, so there might be more on the hitch.
One thing I have noticed is that just a little out of level makes a difference on the tongue weight. The reason is dual torsion axles. As the levelness changes, the fulcrum moves more toward one or the other axles.

I have to remember to shake the trailer tongue after loading the Sherline ball scale to get accurate weight readings.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #32
Site Team

New UPDATE:

Just weighed again, with trailer more level. Came out to c. 425 lbs, with one propane tank full and one nearly empty, and E2 WDH bars not in box (and not attached). Black and gray tanks empty; fresh with 3 lights. Add 20 for propane, dunno how the bars figure in, say 450 lbs. Bike rack on rear with no bikes yet (weighs maybe 40 lbs; 2 bikes might add 60 or so.

Is a 450-pound tongue too low for an E21C?

Just the reverse of my original question!
Old 06-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ours weighs 4360 ready for a three week trip with 10
Gallons of water for the road. The tongue weight is 500 Lbs. So I’m at 87 percent of stated tow capacity, and also 87% of trailer weight recommended maximum. Ideal percentage is 12 to 15 percent in book I read. (That my dad wrote on a 10 cent notepad 60 years ago.) others may have a different opinion, the above is mine. YMMV.

Iowa Born
Iowa Bred
When I die I’ll be
Iowa Dead
Iowa Dave