Is Anyone Else Towing With An E350 PSD? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Is Anyone Else Towing With An E350 PSD?

I'm pulling our E19 with a Ford E350 Econoline van with a 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. No problem with power but using the cruise control, it shifts too soon. I'm contemplating having a chip installed to help with shift points and provide a good towing tune. I'd like to hear from someone with the E350 7.3 as to what your using and how it's performing. The van is different from the F350 PSD in that it doesn't have an intercooler. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bladesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:05 AM   #2

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Your towing setup is a rare bird, and my dream setup. I had a 2002 f250 crew 4wd with a 7.3l a long time ago. I had a 40hp towing tune on that truck and it made a big difference. I've been looking for a e250 or e350 7.3 to convert to a adventure wagon with a Ujoint offroad 4wd conversion kit. I think it would be a perfect combo to my Escape 21.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Most vehicles recommend against using cruise control while towing. You do have an one of a kind TV, it maybe the exception.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I never use cruise while towing, it is IMHO unsafe....
Old 06-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesong View Post
I'm pulling our E19 with a Ford E350 Econoline van with a 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. No problem with power but using the cruise control, it shifts too soon.
By "shifts too soon", do you mean that it shifts up and then is unable to maintain the set speed? As long at it maintains the set speed, it seems to me that it's working properly, but if it shifts up then loses speed that's an issue.

Quote:
I'm contemplating having a chip installed to help with shift points and provide a good towing tune.
Does the transmission have a tow/haul mode control?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I never use cruise while towing, it is IMHO unsafe....
Why? There is certainly a safety issue with drivers who don't pay attention while on cruise control, but that is unsafe regardless of whether or not a trailer is attached.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #7

I checked the owner's manual for an arbitrary year of E-350 (2002, because it was mentioned that the 7.3 L Power Stroke diesel was available that year). The section about the cruise control doesn't say anything about towing, but the towing section says:
Quote:
When towing a trailer:
• Turn off the speed control. The speed control may shut off automatically when you are towing on long, steep grades.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have been towing with cruise control ever since I got rid of my Highlander in 2014. It would always keep shifting with our 17B- even on flat ground. The Yukon 5.3/6 speed was good, yet with both the Expedition and Transit 250 the amount of torque is such that they hardly ever downshift- even on some grade. They both have the 3.5 EcoBoost/10 speed transmission.

Only time I won't tow with cruise is in the rain.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I never tow with cruise control because, in traffic, I keep having to override what it is doing. I'm a lot more comfortable driving the car.
Maybe, if I lived in Texas...
Old 06-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why? There is certainly a safety issue with drivers who don't pay attention while on cruise control, but that is unsafe regardless of whether or not a trailer is attached.
I like to feel the effort the attached trailer is exerting on the tow vehicle, something that is eliminated when using tow mode. In addition some manufacturers do not not recommend to using both together.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #11

If I have the cruise on 65 it will shift into passing gear at 63 on the slightest hill. It can pull it ok but I'm not comfortable with those rpms. My brother has an excursion with a 7.3 PSD and he pulls a large trailer. He had a chip installed and when he puts on the cruise it won't downshift till around 50 mph. I assure you, many diesel owners do this. The van is different in that it has no intercooler. So it needs a different tune. Everything on mine is stock and I was wondering if anyone had experience with E350 PSD tunes.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i tow with an F250 pickup with that same 7.3 PSD and probably the same 4R100 4 speed automatic with overdrive transmission. I use the OD disable button at the bottom of a grade so it stays in 3rd when climbing, as that engine's happy place is 2000 RPM. if you shift out of OD/4th *before* the grade starts, and before you're hard on the throttle, the torque converter lockup will stay engaged which results in better power delivery.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i tow with an F250 pickup with that same 7.3 PSD and probably the same 4R100 4 speed automatic with overdrive transmission. I use the OD disable button at the bottom of a grade so it stays in 3rd when climbing, as that engine's happy place is 2000 RPM. if you shift out of OD/4th *before* the grade starts, and before you're hard on the throttle, the torque converter lockup will stay engaged which results in better power delivery.
Thanks. I don't have a tach currently. Everything is stock except for transmission cooler.At what speed do you kick it out of OD?
Old 06-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. I don't have a tach currently. Everything is stock except for transmission cooler.At what speed do you kick it out of OD?
your e350 might have a different final drive ratio, but with my F250 non-OD is good to at least 65 or even 70 MPH, and quite happy at 60 MPH

if you want to nerd out, pick up a 'ELM327' ODBC-II Bluetooth dongle, and install TorquePro on your phone, and configure up a Torque display that shows a tach, transmission temp, current gear, and the transmission lockup clutch. and leave that running while driving around towing... a few days of that, and you'll know your engine/trans status by ear.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I never tow with cruise control because, in traffic, I keep having to override what it is doing. I'm a lot more comfortable driving the car.
Maybe, if I lived in Texas...
Yesterday I did most of the 2 hour drive from Eugene to Portland on I-5 in somewhat crowded traffic on cruise control. I hooked up with two tanker trucks (from the same company) who were obviously traveling together. I followed along behind the pair at 62mph indicated the whole way. The +/- buttons allowed met to adjust the speed to match them exactly - I'm sure they were on cruise too. We had smooth sailing in the right lane most all the way with the occasional pass of a slower rig. When I saw the lead rig change lanes I could pick a spot to move over and let the tailing rig in front of me. It was an enjoyable drive the whole way up. Only had to reset the speed a couple of times as most speed changes were to speed up when passing the slower rigs.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #16
Site Team

I avoided using cruise control and 6th gear on the Tacoma pulling the Casita 16 (and the E21 on its home voyage). the f250 cruise works just fine on the interstates. nudge it up and down with the steering wheel buttons to stay the same safe distance behind the rig in front of me. in California on the long rural stretches of I5, or another major open 4-lane, I cruise 62 or so in spite of the 55 limit for trailers, and most of the big rigs are doing the same.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
your e350 might have a different final drive ratio, but with my F250 non-OD is good to at least 65 or even 70 MPH, and quite happy at 60 MPH

if you want to nerd out, pick up a 'ELM327' ODBC-II Bluetooth dongle, and install TorquePro on your phone, and configure up a Torque display that shows a tach, transmission temp, current gear, and the transmission lockup clutch. and leave that running while driving around towing... a few days of that, and you'll know your engine/trans status by ear.
Thanks I'll give that a try