Is the 5.0 pin box changeable? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Is the 5.0 pin box changeable?

Just a thought, here.

I live full time in a 40' 5th wheel that is essentially stationary - in 3 weeks I'm changing locations for the first time in 4 years. It has the MorRyde cushioned pin box that eases some of the shock transmitted between truck & trailer.

I currently use a bumper pull Aframe trailer for my camping and trips (4K miles & up per year average). The Escape would be replacing the Aframe. My thought was that since I rarely move the big one and I would be frequently moving the Escape, maybe the pin boxes could be swapped so the Escape could have the cushioned pin box.

Being so much lighter I have no idea if the cushioned pin box would be advantageous with the Escape but since I have it already it wouldn't cost me much more than time to swap them if it was possible.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you should consult with the manufacturer of the trailer as well as the hitch for a better answer as I'm not aware of any owner here using that hitch setup that could help you.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The pin box is bolted on so it can be removed, adjusted up or down. I would not see any advantage to changing it though as I tow mine with a 1/2 ton and I think it rides good.
Attached Thumbnails
0921F2A8-FFB8-49A0-A76E-59D266B6F41F.jpg   D9F75CF2-FEE6-4999-8508-AAA4F7D6B5E8.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The pin weight on a 5.0 is going to be under 1000 lbs, light weight is supposed to be in the 650 lb range. Pretty sure your 40 footer is considerably more and probably needs the cushioned box. Just guessing here as my 5.0 is the only 5th wheel experience I have😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The pin box, like most, is in two parts. The upper part is welded to the trailer's structure, and so would be a lot of work to change. The lower part is bolted to the upper part so that it can be adjusted vertically (between only two positions in the recently used model, shown by Chotch).

The replacement pinboxes sold to the public are normally just the lower part, designed to bolt into one of the common upper parts. Escape currently appears to be using the Lippert 1716 pin box (the Atwood AB-34 was used in the past, on the original 5.0), so if your MORryde fits that, then you can use it by just unbolting the standard lower part and bolting in the MORryde.

Lippert guides to pin boxes:
QR___035___Pinbox_Identification_Guide.pdf
QR___015___Pinbox_Measurement_Guide1.pdf

MORryde Pin Box Identification Guide
According to this, if you MorRyde fits a Lippert 1716 (and thus I believe fits an Escape 5.0TA) it will be MORryde's model RPB72-1716.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The MORryde design is intended to cushion horizontal shocks - not vertical - so the pin weight doesn't really matter to its application; it's not like the air ride boxes. Still, the Escape 5.0TA is so light in total mass compared to the trailers for which this hardware is designed that the rubber in the MORryde box is probably too stiff to be useful with the Escape. With an excessively stiff spring, MORryde's box will behave essentially like a solid steel box, providing no benefit.

The rubber shear spring in a MORryde box is replaceable, and a softer spring should be used to suit a lighter trailer. Their Pin Box Fit Chart says
Quote:
What is the GVWR of the trailer? MORryde has a specific rubber spring for different weight ratings
Unfortunately, it appears that each model of pin box has the spring to suit the capacity of the pin box, so it may not be possible to put a softer spring in a given model, and the softest spring they use may still be twice as stiff as ideal for a 5.0TA, but it might be worth asking them about it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
It sounds like it might not be worth the effort but it is something I'll check into since it is just a time thing. Just something for me to consider when I get my 5.0 if I don't like how things go with it compared to my big rig. I've only had the cushioned box so I can't compare either, but people report a big change when they have changed. As stated, with the lite Escape it may not need or be able to benefit.

Tags
pin box