Is the V6 tacoma enough truck for the 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I ordered those Firestone air bags last week...

my Tacoma has 6400 tow capacity ,and 650 tongue weight . But i have had 350 lbs on the ball and have got a lot of sag . I hope the air bags resolves this

I had Firestone bags on my 2014 Tacoma. They worked well and will definitely level your truck. One suggestion: route the fill nipples to inside the side compartments in the bed. That is a convenient location to add or bleed air to the bags. I used a Zepher Mt. Bike pump. After they are installed, on flat ground, measure the height of your receiver hitch from the ground with no load in the bed or the hitch. Then after everything is loaded and hooked up, fill the airbags to achieve the same hitch height. I only needed 25 to 30 psi per side to be level.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Yea, Eric, I'm not sure either. For all I know, it could be a old wives tale promulgated by transmission people in service departments. I would think it logical if the manufacturer rated a vehicle to to 5,000 lbs, the manufacturer already had calculated a safety margin in the rating. So I find some of the things I have been told shall I say......contradictory.
I'm on my third Tacoma. A 2016 TRD Sport 4x4. All my trucks have been very reliable and tough. (Pulled 23 laurel hedges out of the ground by the roots with my 2001 Taco!)

All TRD models have the "Tow Package" included and come with an auxiliary tranny oil cooler. (Also oversized alternators, batteries, sway bars and wire harness for electric brake control.) These trucks are super tough. The transmissions simply do not fail unless abused. (Like towing in "overdrive") I fully recommend them for towing anything up to 5400 GVW. (1000 lbs below capacity)
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just checked out the new 2017 Toyota at the dealer, I'm surprised there is no brake controller with the tow package. I was thinking of trading the Ram while it's value is still high. Also the payload would be decreased with a cap to less than 1000#. Eight speed in Ram vs 6 in the Taco? Mileage is similar not towing. Might have to wait until more info is available. Do like the standard shift option.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I'm on my third Tacoma. A 2016 TRD Sport 4x4. All my trucks have been very reliable and tough. (Pulled 23 laurel hedges out of the ground by the roots with my 2001 Taco!)

All TRD models have the "Tow Package" included and come with an auxiliary tranny oil cooler. (Also oversized alternators, batteries, sway bars and wire harness for electric brake control.) These trucks are super tough. The transmissions simply do not fail unless abused. (Like towing in "overdrive") I fully recommend them for towing anything up to 5400 GVW. (1000 lbs below capacity)
I was wondering also where you mounted your brake controller. I also have a 2017 TRD Sport Tacoma and have yet to mount the P3 controller. I also was wondering how the original mirrors work for towing. Our Escape 19 is still down south so I have not towed with it yet. I was looking at the "Tyger" towing mirrors for Tacomas, but they don't make ones for the 2016-2017 Tacomas yet.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just checked out the new 2017 Toyota at the dealer, I'm surprised there is no brake controller with the tow package. I was thinking of trading the Ram while it's value is still high. Also the payload would be decreased with a cap to less than 1000#. Eight speed in Ram vs 6 in the Taco? Mileage is similar not towing. Might have to wait until more info is available. Do like the standard shift option.
The Tacoma is wired so one can install their own brake controller. Just as lightweight fiberglass trailers are a small segment of the overall market, Tacoma owners that use their trucks for towing, are a small (but significant) segment of Tacoma owners.

On a road trip to Colorado last month at average speeds of 70 mph, I averaged 20.4 mpg with my 2016 TRD Sport.

The Ram is a good truck. However, it does not have the reliability or resale value of the Tacoma. You can't go wrong either way.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I was wondering also where you mounted your brake controller. I also have a 2017 TRD Sport Tacoma and have yet to mount the P3 controller. I also was wondering how the original mirrors work for towing. Our Escape 19 is still down south so I have not towed with it yet. I was looking at the "Tyger" towing mirrors for Tacomas, but they don't make ones for the 2016-2017 Tacomas yet.
There is a photo of where I installed my P3 here. A tight fit, but it works.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If I was looking at for a small pickup , I would definitely look at the GM Colorado / Canyon . The reviews & tests that I've read in some leading auto magazines comparing the GM truck to the Tacoma give the edge to GM . They sight the GM for better styling / design , braking , handling , steering , suspension , payload capacity ,transmission , engine ,Etc. After viewing their findings and the trucks , I would have to agree with their findings. That does not mean that the Tacoma is not a good vehicle but only that other manufacturers have upped the standard.
There is no right or wrong choice but I personally prefer the GM
truck.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I installed my P3 in the same place. the little pocket can easily be removed and the back cut out with a utility knife to run the harness through.

Quote:
I went with the Aero mirrors recommended by others on this forum. On my 2014 SR5 I had after market tow mirrors that are the same as offered on RAM trucks. They flip up and are very stable. I confirmed they would fit on the 2016 as well even though the web site does not say so. However they are not compatible with the blindspot monitoring on my 2016 Sport. I was not willing to give that up. If you do not have that feature, then these are a good option. They are plug and play for adjustable, turn signals. And there are heated versions as well since you are in Alaska. https://www.1aauto.com/2005-14-toyot...QtBBoCoozw_wcB
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Here's another option for mounting a P3. I was concerned I would bang my knees, but so far that hasn't been a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2461.jpg  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I was looking at the pocket in the console where the cell phone charger is, on the upper left side of the opening. May take up a little room, but it would be easy to see and reach. My wife just piles up junk in these areas anyway. All I would keep there would be a cell phone anyway.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I was looking at for a small pickup , I would definitely look at the GM Colorado / Canyon . The reviews & tests that I've read in some leading auto magazines comparing the GM truck to the Tacoma give the edge to GM . They sight the GM for better styling / design , braking , handling , steering , suspension , payload capacity ,transmission , engine ,Etc. After viewing their findings and the trucks , I would have to agree with their findings. That does not mean that the Tacoma is not a good vehicle but only that other manufacturers have upped the standard.
There is no right or wrong choice but I personally prefer the GM
truck.
I'm agree with everything you said Steve. We also compared the Tacoma with the Colorado/Canyon and chose the Canyon for all the reasons you stated. I'm quite tall 6' 3" and found the Canyon much easier to get in and out of than the Tacoma. But there is one thing that the Tacoma excells at and that is off road performance, they leave the rest in the dust, literally. Also they hold their resale value better than any truck I've seen. Time will only tell on the resale value of my Canyon.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I'm agree with everything you said Steve. We also compared the Tacoma with the Colorado/Canyon and chose the Canyon for all the reasons you stated. I'm quite tall 6' 3" and found the Canyon much easier to get in and out of than the Tacoma. But there is one thing that the Tacoma excells at and that is off road performance, they leave the rest in the dust, literally. Also they hold their resale value better than any truck I've seen. Time will only tell on the resale value of my Canyon.
The segment of people at least in my area that offroad is rather minor .
Most trucks never see anything but paved roads so I am not sure if off road capabilities are a real asset to the average truck owner.
I have never owned a Toyota so I have never been concerned with their resale value. Resale value is often based on scarcity or perception and not on anything tangible and I have never purchased a vehicle based on projected resale value at some future date.
When I traded in my 2011 Ram in on my 2014 Ram , I got close to 90% of my original purchase price .
I hope your Canyon works well for you
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The segment of people at least in my area that offroad is rather minor .
Most trucks never see anything but paved roads so I am not sure if off road capabilities are a real asset to the average truck owner. ...
I agree that it depends upon where you live. Here in Washington, off-road capability is an important consideration. Some of the best fishing holes, hikes, and scenery are up old logging roads in our extensive national forests. The way I like to camp is to set up a base camp with my trailer, then explore the more remote areas. In fact that is why I prefer trailer camping to a motor home. I want my tow to do more than just get my trailer from campground to campground. It is all a matter of priorities so one should get the equipment to match ones activities. ...and yes, Tacoma's are not known for their headroom!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Off road the Toyota trucks are awesome. In longevity they can't be beat. In another thread I related how the ranchers around Tatla Lake BC went almost exclusively to Tundras (80% according to one local) because they pulled live loads and went 500,000 km without anything but regular service. We have had similar experiences with our Toyota cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #55

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I got my air rides today. If anyone's interested i found a good price of 230 bucks
Firestone Rear Air Spring - Chevy/GMC | AW Direct
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
And to monitor it we purchased a Ultragauge MX and added the transmission info for the 2012/2015 Tacoma's to it. So we have the Torque Converter temp. the Trans pan temp and the Torque converter lock along with the usual things that are monitored. If anyone wants it I can post the information needed to set up the additional 3 gauges.

Edit, this is Hubby
Could you please post or PM the information to set up the Ultragauge?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Is the V6 tacoma enough truck for the 21

For relevance I should have added that the Tundras were the old smaller models, similar in size and capability to the current Tacomas. And ours tows our 21 easily along with a boat on top, canopy, OB and electric motors, etc.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #58

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Could you please post or PM the information to set up the Ultragauge?
I sent a note with the info.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The new 3.6 motor uses the Atkinson method which produces less torque than the older 4.0 motor, according to everything I have read. I had the 4.0 in my FJ and it was fine towing the 19, however the 21 was too heavy for the rear end.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The new 3.6 motor uses the Atkinson method which produces less torque than the older 4.0 motor, according to everything I have read. I had the 4.0 in my FJ and it was fine towing the 19, however the 21 was too heavy for the rear end.

Actually that is not quite correct. The new motor automatically switches between Atkinson cycle and Otto cycle depending on torque requirements. It has two sets of valves to accomplish this trick. So what this means is that one has plenty of torque when accelerating hard, or with a load.

I'm getting 3-4 mpg better mileage when not loaded in my 2016 over my 2014 Taco. (20.4 mpg @ 70 MPH) But when I'm towing, the 2016 is about the same. (15 - 17 mpg @ 60 mph on the flat. Drops to about 13 mpg in hill country.). The 2016 - 2017 Tacoma's have a button labeled ETC (Electronic Transmission Control) It changes the shift points so that the engine spends more time in the Otto cycle mode. The combination of being able to manually select gears 1 - 5 & the ETC button gives me all the torque I need for towing. Admittedly my trailer is a 19' so it would be interesting to hear from someone using the new Tacoma pulling a 21'.

I would recommend the TRD Sport for towing. The larger wheels and highway tuned suspension improves handling. Less body lean in the curves, and it feels more solid in cross winds than my 2014 SR5 did.
- Bremerton, WA