Is this your new tow? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
These capacities and the claimed ranges suggest almost twice the energy consumption per distance as a typical battery-electric car, which is not surprising.
Yup. The truck is still an F150 so it does not have the extreme focus on aero drag that most EV's use as one leg of their approach to range. The truck is also heavy.

But overall a solid offering. I can see fleets jumping on this for low cost of fuel, low maintenance.

One challenge fleets have with BEV is that they need to work hand in hand with utilities. It's one thing to plug in a single BEV at your house at night. It's a whole 'nother situation if you are plugging in 50 or 100 trucks to charge at a single facility. And these are just pickups. My company is now selling BEV Class 6 and Class 8 trucks. These have (literally) around an order of magnitude more energy on board. Charging infrastructure is not trivial.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
One challenge fleets have with BEV is that they need to work hand in hand with utilities. It's one thing to plug in a single BEV at your house at night. It's a whole 'nother situation if you are plugging in 50 or 100 trucks to charge at a single facility. And these are just pickups. My company is now selling BEV Class 6 and Class 8 trucks. These have (literally) around an order of magnitude more energy on board. Charging infrastructure is not trivial.
Good point. The battery-electric bus fleet in Edmonton was introduced in coordination with a new bus garage (which was being built anyway), and the charging infrastructure added substantially to the garage cost, although a small fraction of the bus cost. By the way, this garage also needed a stronger floor and bigger hoists to handle the extra weight of the buses, compared to the diesels. These buses (Proterra 40-ft with the biggest battery) have about 675 kWh battery capacity (roughly four times the capacity of the long-range F-150 Lightning).

Fortunately, for the individual owner a decent charging station just has the electrical demand of a clothes dryer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We had a solar array installed late last year. My wife was talking to the neighbor who from all appearances keeps up with the times. She said our next vehicle would be either all electric or a hybrid.
He asked, as to infer that we were stupid, “Where are you going to charge it?”
Then he looked stupid when she said “in the garage” I have one 50 amp service in my shop now and a rec vehicle 30 amp in the Trailer garage. We started generating more electricity than we’re using in March. By November we will have enough in the “bank” to carry our shortfall through the winter. We have the framework to add four additional 390 watt panels if needed. I gotta live another 6 years to break even.
Trying to stay up with the kids I am:
Iowa Dave
There's a State Farm ad running lately where the pizza delivery lass piles the pizzas on the State Farm guy and utters a quote I've been waiting to use:
you're the man, man.

I'm envious. Too many trees around here.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Treeless Iowa Dave

Welcome home, Sun.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm intrigued by the Lightning, but range is of paramount importance to me when we camp out west. And, can't see spending a likely 85K price tag for the Lariat trim.