It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Its too bad you can't/aren't able to show off the rig in Osoyoos, it would be a highlight for many I'm sure. Including me.
I know, we really wanted to be there Bruce so we could see a ton of Escapes in one place. But, we are going to get nice 5 week vacation picking her up. The dates just didn't line up. We've already marked down the Osoyoos Rally for 2016.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
You might consider getting an actual topper for the truck, as that will enable you to carry even more stuff. Plus it's nice when you don't have the trailer and want to camp for a night, you can sleep in the back with a small mattress. I've camped many nights with my pickup and topper, going places where no man could go with a trailer (though a woman maybe could).
I got a fiberglass tonneau cover for my tow. I wanted to keep more of the pickup look plus a shell makes the rig look so darn big. It was manufactured by ARE, is molded the same as the hood, and painted to match the truck. This one has one of the heavier locks that I have seen but if anyone wants in, they will just have to make a little more racket. Also had the box sprayed with Line-x to keep cargo from sliding around. The truck bed spray and the tonneau inner cover lining matched so it makes for a pretty neat looking cargo area. Tonneau cover was $1500 and the bed spray was $500. The truck paint and the wheels match the ones on the trailer. Now I am toying with the idea of having matching trim on the truck like Alf did with his. I wonder if ETI did that for him. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't want a cap (topper) on a pickup unless the sides opened up as big hatches, or the entire contents were in slide-outs. Without one of those, it would be like having a van with the side doors welded shut.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
This is a photo of my current truck. My first shell did not have side hatches. I would never go back. I cannot stress how useful and convienient the bed of the truck becomes. An important feature is a T handle so you can open with one hand.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Let's see if this works
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8129.jpg   IMG_8130.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Let's see if this works
As a work truck, that looks like a great arrangement.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 17b
I had a similar deal, except I built two long drawers under a piece of plywood that covered the entire bed of the truck. The drawers went the entire length, so lots of storage, and you could sleep on the piece of plywood (with mattress). It was easy to reach things through the side windows as everything was a bit elevated. I would never have a truck w/o a topper on it and a similar arrangement. It was good for about anything. Not saying you should do that, but I like to get away without hauling much and it was perfect for a few nights way out in the backcountry.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Let's see if this works
Nice shell... but I'm more impressed by the three falcons that it is set up to carry! I've seen lots of dog boxes (for sled dog teams), but that's the first bird box.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
For a work truck, I like my van. I have my ladders with me at all times and have hauled 20 foot lumber up there. But the ladders sure hurt my gas mileage. Putting the tonneau cover on the pickup chopped my option for hauling tall things, but it is hard for one vehicle to be perfect for everything. The van is set up for work and the pickup is set up for play. And I hope to use the pickup a lot more than the van in these next years. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Wow! Excellent choice. Can't wait to see it and get the full scoop on mileage, towing, etc. when you get here to Bandera for the rally in April. Congratulations in a big way.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Reace was driving one last year in Osoyoos with the new 5.0 TA.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #32

Yes, the F-150 is becoming a popular choice... so much for "mid-sized tow vehicles".

Reace's F-150 is similar - same cab and box, but the previous generation and 30% larger version of the same engine.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
I can't help but feel your excitement with you Bryan! I have almost the same truck on order except I stuck with the 3.5. I am so impressed with the ecoboost that when they announced the weight saving on the 2015, I could only imagine how much better it's going to be!

I am hoping to pick it up in Detroit...do the factory tour thing...maybe learn a thing or two...then an awesome road trip home with a buddy.

Two weeks after that, we too will be off to Bandera!

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I can't help but feel your excitement with you Bryan! I have almost the same truck on order except I stuck with the 3.5. I am so impressed with the ecoboost that when they announced the weight saving on the 2015, I could only imagine how much better it's going to be!

I am hoping to pick it up in Detroit...do the factory tour thing...maybe learn a thing or two...then an awesome road trip home with a buddy.

Two weeks after that, we too will be off to Bandera!

Reace
Thank you Reace, and congrats on your purchase! We went back and forth on the 3.5L vs the 2.7L, but in the end, the slight gains in fuel economy and the 'turbo-diesel' like design won out. I remember you telling me during my visit how the 3.5L passed so effortlessly.

The factory tour sounds great. Ours comes out of the new F150 line in Kansas City.

I think we're going to be the first to pull an Escape with the 2.7. I test drove one (not the one I got - that was not delivered to the dealer yet) and was amazed at the power and acceleration for such a small displacement. We can't wait to show it off at the Bandera Rally. See you guys there!

Robert
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think we're going to be the first to pull an Escape with the 2.7. I test drove one (not the one I got - that was not delivered to the dealer yet) and was amazed at the power and acceleration for such a small displacement.
Ah, turbocharging. More air means more fuel, more bang, and more go. I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle, but now that modern engine management systems and direct fuel injection have made boosting a gasoline engine much more practical, I can see the appeal. My daily driver car is direct-injected (Mazda SkyActiv), but not turbo.

Current engines with advanced direct injection technology and turbocharging include Ford (EcoBoost), Volkswagen (TFSI), GM (SISDI, some Ecotec), Mazda (DISI), Hyundai (DGI Turbo), and BMW. Lots more have the direct injection technology, but are not currently using it to improve turbocharging, and most of those with turbos don't apply it to engines large enough to be of interest to those towing travel trailers. Ford pretty much as this segment to itself... other than of course the diesels, which are all direct-injection turbos.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Don't know anything about the turbo technology. But i do know that our ISUZU twin turbo 2.5 litre pick-up truck does the job in an excellent way!

It easily tows the 5.0 classic over the mountains in Switzerland and Italy and it does so with great milage. Average of 11 Km's to the litre. I'm not complaining.

So i expect you will not be disappointed in you F150 2.7.

I do love the American "there's no substitute for cubic inches" but only on classic cars.

Have fun!
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
It easily tows the 5.0 classic over the mountains in Switzerland and Italy and it does so with great milage. Average of 11 Km's to the litre. I'm not complaining.
Wow Severinus! That's 25+ MPG. Incredible mileage. If we get anything in the 18 MPG range when towing I'll be thrilled.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Yep it is, but it does so while doing 90Km/PH which is the max speed overhere.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Yep it is, but it does so while doing 90Km/PH which is the max speed overhere.
Hmm. 56 MPH. I could do that, if the wife tied a battery to my backside and gave me a jolt every time I exceeded it. On second thought, I'd probably die of electrocution about 30 miles out.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #40

Trailer: not yet
2015 19, 2015 F150 2.7L Ecoboost Crew Cab

With those new purchases, your tag line could be "Go first class...or stay home!"

Nice choices. You are going to have a blast picking up your trailer in your new ride. Hoping for great weather for you!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote