Jeep Gladiator tow 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking at 21 Escape
Jeep Gladiator tow 21

Hello everyone. New to The Forum and I am close to pulling the trigger on ordering a21. I'm also looking at the Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max tow package as a tow vehicle. After doing some research online I'm having second thoughts about it because of possible payload issues.

I did a search for the Gladiator on the Forum and did not come up with anyone towing a 21. Is anyone out there towing a 21 with a Jeep Gladiator?
Barefootserpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Not me, but a quick search on the specs tells me that vehicle is plenty capable both in towing and payload. What makes you think you'd have payload issues? Will you be carrying a bunch of extra heavy stuff in the back?
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Gladiator is intended to be roughly comparable to the Colorado/Canyon and Ranger in towing capacity. I would check all the specs before trying it, but my guess is that if you don't need a lot of passenger and cargo capacity it would work. 21' owners seem more likely to use a full-sized pickup, but on the other hand the even heavier 5.0TA has been towed with a Colorado/Canyon.

I think many people would want more power than you can get in a Gladiator, but that's not the same as needing it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0
By the way, it can be very tricky and confusing to find all the right numbers online or even from the dealers. Here's my trick when shopping for tow vehicles: find the exact model and trim you want at any dealer. Then call up that dealer, and have the salesman go out to the vehicle, and take a picture of the sticker on the doorjamb and send it to you. It has the most reliable numbers, that you can then use to calculate your pertinent capacities...it also will tell you the code for the axle ratio, which let's you confirm whether it really is the Max Tow package. As you continue to shop, make sure to do this same thing for any vehicle you might buy, even if you think it's the same as the other one...in other words, you can't trust the online ads, but you can trust that sticker!
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Not a 21 but gsbfree is towing a new 19 with a Gladiator. His reports may be helpful or you can try a PM to discuss.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post338633
Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
By the way, it can be very tricky and confusing to find all the right numbers online or even from the dealers. Here's my trick when shopping for tow vehicles: find the exact model and trim you want at any dealer. Then call up that dealer, and have the salesman go out to the vehicle, and take a picture of the sticker on the doorjamb and send it to you. It has the most reliable numbers, that you can then use to calculate your pertinent capacities...it also will tell you the code for the axle ratio, which let's you confirm whether it really is the Max Tow package.
...in other words, you can't trust the online ads, but you can trust that sticker!
Dealers are generally useless as towing or technical information sources, but if they'll get that sticker image for you that would certainly be useful. The sticker isn't enough, of course, because it won't give towing capacity - you still need something like the owner's manual. Fortunately, most manufacturers now offer the manuals online.

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator manual has GCWR, frontal area, gross trailer weight, and maximum tongue weight ratings for fifteen different Gladiator configurations; the only ones with sufficient trailer weight capacity for an Escape 21 are
  • Sport, Sport S, or Overland; all only with Tow Package or Max Tow Package
  • Mojave with automatic
  • Rubicon with automatic
All are only with the automatic transmission. Maximum trailer weight among these choices varies from 6,000 pounds to 7,650 pounds so any are fine in that respect. In all cases maximum tongue weight is listed as 10% of the allowed trailer weight; most Escapes run higher than 10%, but the resulting limits of 600 pounds and up for these packages are suitable.

6,000 pound trailer weight packages may run into GCWR constraints if there is enough load (of passengers and cargo) in the Gladiator. With high tongue weights and high cargo load in the box rear axle weight rating may be an issue... the GAWR is on the sticker but the empty axle load is not known so this is harder to check out. GVWR is on the sticker, and may limit the payload (of passengers, cargo, and tongue weight) even with a trailer well within the trailer weight limit.

Good news and expected news on the braking subject:
Quote:
This vehicle has an aftermarket brake controller connector under the dash to the left of the brake pedal. This will be a four pin connector and will be gray in color.
 Trailer brakes are recommended for trailers over 1,000 lbs (453 kg) and required for trailers in excess of 2,000 lbs (907 kg).
The wiring provisions are unclear:
Quote:
The Trailer Tow Package may include a four- and seven-pin wiring harness.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Looking at 21 Escape
All very good information thank you
Barefootserpent is offline   Reply With Quote