Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21C, 2021 Model Year
Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with 21C

Hi, I will be taking delivery on a 21C next spring. I plan on towing with a 2014 JGC diesel. I believe (going off memory) my GC is rated at 7200lbs max towing and about 1600lbs payload. I live in the central rockies of Colorado and will be towing over high mountain passes often. Since I live in this area I am familiar an comfortable with long uphills and downhills. Even though this is my first time towing I feel fairly confident with my ability to use the shifters for some breaking and holding RPM's etc. It is my intention to purchase the E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch from EI. I would like to hear some opinions as to if the sway and weight distribution are advised. Thanks!
TomEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hi Tom,

Fellow Coloradan / 21C owner here, and welcome to the club. Your diesel GC will do great up here. I would highly recommend a sway control WDH for the rig, I use one with my Ram 1/2 ton. There are a ton of posts on here on pros / cons of different WHDs. I'm partial to the Andersen version - which ETI does not sell, but you can buy online and install yourself or get installed at a trailer shop.

Good luck - don't hesitate to reach out directly if you have any other questions!
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for your reply regarding the JGC. I do think a pickup would be better, but for now it is the GC. My GC does not have a factory brake controller...do you have a recommendation and/or a good place for that install? I will check out the Anderson option. I have a place in Denver and when I head down that way I might reach out. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Installing a brake controller is fairly easy. Here is some info that steps you through an installation on a 2014 JGC.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...kee-90195.aspx
Old 11-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing that video...seems fairly straight forward.Cheers!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have the Curt Spectrum Brake controller. It has a control module with a remote knob you can mount anywhere. Looks pretty slick but I don't trust it. The lights on the knob don't flash consistently, start up, on, brake...

Many people talk about the Tekonsha P3. I should have got this, they actually make a custom panel to mount in the Tundra. Check for your applications.

Don't buy anything with Bluetooth that works to your phone, have you ever gone canoeing and soaked your phone!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
While not an exact match, we tow a 2019 E19 with a 2013 Cayenne diesel which has very similar dimensions/capacities to your JGC. The diesel and 8sp trans tow the 19 effortlessly regardless of the grade. We have traversed mountain passes throughout the Northwest and Rockies and have never felt uneasy about the combos ability to keep the trailer under control. One behavior we have noticed is that we burn though DEF much faster when towing the 19.
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We owned a Grand Cherokee with the diesel and loved it.
We towed a cargo trailer with a small front end loader/tractor inside through the Rockies of BC to our cabin with no problem. You will do fine.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We have an '08 JGC 3.0l diesel. It tows our Escape 19 just fine. We frankly do not even slow down on those big Colorado passes. We happily sold all our pickup trucks 4 years ago, and enjoy our JGC, AWD plus real 4WD, and not 25 ft long. We owned many pickup trucks from Chevy to Dodge to Ford and mostly we are just happy to have a more compact but still capable vehicle. We have a brake controller plus aftermarket airbag shocks. No problems here
Old 11-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
Hi, I will be taking delivery on a 21C next spring. I plan on towing with a 2014 JGC diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We have an '08 JGC 3.0l diesel. It tows our Escape 19 just fine.
While the 2008 and 2014 Grand Cherokees are different generations (WK1 versus WK2), with different diesel engines (Mercedes OM642 versus VM Motori L630) different transmissions and entirely different suspensions (Chrysler independent front and beam axle rear versus Mercedes all-independent), they are comparable in size and capability. The newer one is larger (especially in the critical wheelbase), and likely even more stable; the newer 8-speed transmission should be a substantial improvement over the older 5-speed. All of that may make up for the larger size and higher weight of the 21' versus the 19' Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
Hi, I will be taking delivery on a 21C next spring. I plan on towing with a 2014 JGC diesel. I believe (going off memory) my GC is rated at 7200lbs max towing and about 1600lbs payload. I live in the central rockies of Colorado and will be towing over high mountain passes often. Since I live in this area I am familiar an comfortable with long uphills and downhills. Even though this is my first time towing I feel fairly confident with my ability to use the shifters for some breaking and holding RPM's etc. It is my intention to purchase the E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch from EI. I would like to hear some opinions as to if the sway and weight distribution are advised. Thanks!
It should tow quite nicely. We tow with a diesel BMW X5 and find that the diesel torque is really nice to have with our 21C. We tow over mountain passes routinely, though at much lower altitude than CO. You might want to take a look at this video for a towing review of the GC in your conditions: https://youtu.be/WRo4uNWCy5E
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We tow our 21C with a 2018 JGC 3.0 diesel. Pulls great, plus in the southeast where it's not mountainous, I get almost 20mpg while towing. Installing the break controller was easy. JGC is prewired. Just get the correct adapter for your controller. I use the Anderson WDH. Plus the self leveling suspension is wonderful. Happy RVing.
Rich30039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #13

Great! Thanks for the reply and sharing your perspective.