Jeep Grand Cherokee / Dodge Durango - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Dodge Durango

We are getting a 19' Escape. Wanting advice from Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango owners. Looking for a tow vehicle. Engine size for towing through mountains?
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
We are getting a 19' Escape. Wanting advice from Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango owners. Looking for a tow vehicle. Engine size for towing through mountains?
Arizona Jack tows a 21' with a Durango with the big engine.

He said he loved it.

Maybe he can chime in.

John.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and we have pulled our 2015 Escape 19 over 12,000 miles including Sierra Nevada/ Donner Pass, Yosemite Tioga Pass, Lassen, Mt Rainier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP and a bunch more and the Grand Cherokee with the V6 has done fine. The Jeep is now 3 years old and we had one wiring defect when delivered but that is the only repair so far. We get about 16 mpg pulling the trailer, and 25 mpg on the highway without it, much better than the V8 would do and we are satisfied with our choice.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

We have a 21 which we tow with a Grand Cherokee Diesel 4wd with tow package. This one is a 2016 since we totalled our 2014. Both handled the Escape 21 just fine. The 2016 has better engine temperature management which is important on the long mountain climbs. It does require the use of a load leveling hitch so you probably want a power jack on the trailer.

We wanted more power than the V6 but not to pay the V8 mileage penalty when not towing since it is my daily driver. With the recent diesel pollution scares, I don't know if it is as good for the environment as I had hoped but we really do like it.

I insist on 4wd or AWD for winter driving and we do some moderate off roading which the Jeep for which the Jeep is also great.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

We tow our 19' with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the tow package and the hemi V8. Tons of power and decent mileage. The only thing that would make this a better tow vehicle is if it had a solid rear axle as most pickup trucks. The independent rear suspension introduces a little sway into the mix but only when there is a cross wind or quick lane changes. I believe that the JGC would be a good tow vehicle up to 21 ' but I would not pull anything longer or heavier.
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
We've got a 2015 diesel Grand Cherokee 4x4. I can't comment on it's towing since we pick up our camper in 18 days-8 hrs-18 min-37 seconds (not that anyone is counting). But I can tell you without a trailer we get about 32mpg on the hi way, running 70 mph. 20-25 mpg mixed around town.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Jeep/Dodge

We put 95000 miles on the 2011 Grand Cherokee, brand new model, 1/2 towing the 19 and 21. Wanted to replace with another identical one but Jeep no longer would do the Hemi in two wheel drive and if I found myself where I needed 4WD, I was lost. I discovered the Durango. It was 2WD with the Hemi and model R/T that has all of the fancy new stuff that I am still trying to learn after almost a year. The Dodge has a slightly longer wheel base that I can feel and a third row seats that disappear. Both vehicles have been excellent in every way. Gas mileage is a little better in the Dodge with the newer trans. 15 to 16 in town, 22 to 23 hi way at felony speeds, 15 to 16 towing. When towing they accelerate to LA merge speeds and cross Western CO mountains at any speed traffic is going. This was my first Jeep and my first Chrysler product but I'm sold and now Nancy has her around town car the Fiat convert. Consumers doesn't care for these, but my experience has been very good.
Jack
P.S. I use a WDH on everything.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We put 95000 miles on the 2011 Grand Cherokee, brand new model, 1/2 towing the 19 and 21. Wanted to replace with another identical one but Jeep no longer would do the Hemi in two wheel drive and if I found myself where I needed 4WD, I was lost. I discovered the Durango. It was 2WD with the Hemi and model R/T that has all of the fancy new stuff that I am still trying to learn after almost a year. The Dodge has a slightly longer wheel base that I can feel and a third row seats that disappear. Both vehicles have been excellent in every way. Gas mileage is a little better in the Dodge with the newer trans. 15 to 16 in town, 22 to 23 hi way at felony speeds, 15 to 16 towing. When towing they accelerate to LA merge speeds and cross Western CO mountains at any speed traffic is going. This was my first Jeep and my first Chrysler product but I'm sold and now Nancy has her around town car the Fiat convert. Consumers doesn't care for these, but my experience has been very good.
Jack
P.S. I use a WDH on everything.
Hi: azjack... Consumers doesn't care for a lot of stuff but they also don't help you pay for it either. YMMV Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We have a 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee V8 with tow package to pull our 21, only had it two weeks, so far so good. We were decided on a Durango and then drove Jeep and it was an ez decision. They may be dropping Durango from line.
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the information. We are looking for deals now.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and we have pulled our 2015 Escape 19 over 12,000 miles including Sierra Nevada/ Donner Pass, Yosemite Tioga Pass, Lassen, Mt Rainier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP and a bunch more and the Grand Cherokee with the V6 has done fine. The Jeep is now 3 years old and we had one wiring defect when delivered but that is the only repair so far. We get about 16 mpg pulling the trailer, and 25 mpg on the highway without it, much better than the V8 would do and we are satisfied with our choice.
Can you keep your speed up while climbing the mountains? V6 sounds great if it will do the job
Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Can you keep your speed up while climbing the mountains? V6 sounds great if it will do the job
If by "keep up your speed" you mean go at the speed limit, not always. We did slow down a little, but never slower than the trucks or others towing trailers and not slow enough that I was concerned. We are quite happy with the performance. We debated whether to get the V6 or V8 and decided on the V6 because of the difference in the fuel consumption. We would make the same decision again to get the V6. The 8 speed transmission really helps.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Do you use sway bars or distributing hitch?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Jeep GC V6

We have a 2015 Jeep GC with the V6. It pulled our 15 for several years then our new 19 from Chilliwack to Washington State and on to Calgary along US Hwy 20 (about 2500 km) on its delivery run last September.

The GC pulled well with out a weight distribution or anti sway. The tow package comes with self leveling rear suspension (not air suspension).

We now have a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel tug but will continue to tow our 19 with the Jeep GC as well.

No warranty or mechanical issues in 65000 km. (Yes we drive a lot).

Kim and Dave
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Do you use sway bars or distributing hitch?
We use a weight distribution hitch always. With the Jeep built in sway control, we have not felt any sway in towing over 12,000 miles. And the Jeep is level whereas it would be slightly nose up without the WDH.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote