kingpin height? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
kingpin height?

Hi Guys,

Can anyone enlighten me? I have seen the answer here somewhere but i seem not able to find it again.

I would like to know what the height of the kingpin/coupler should be in order to have the 5.0 level.

I need to fabricate somesort of kingpin rest with wheels. Space in my storage shed is limited and i need to push the 5.0 in the shed so i was thinking of making a kingpin rest with rollers to make pushing more easy.

Any info will be appriciated.

Kind regards,

Seef and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've not seen it posted, at least not for the TA, might need to drop ETI a note.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anyone enlighten me? I have seen the answer here somewhere but i seem not able to find it again.

I would like to know what the height of the kingpin/coupler should be in order to have the 5.0 level.

I need to fabricate somesort of kingpin rest with wheels. Space in my storage shed is limited and i need to push the 5.0 in the shed so i was thinking of making a kingpin rest with rollers to make pushing more easy.

Any info will be appriciated.

Kind regards,

Seef and Yvonne
Hi: Seef... I would think that any kind of tripod king pin rest on wheels would have to be adjustable, as all trailers are adjusted to the truck height.
Reace emailed me to ask the plate height of my hitch from the ground up and I determined mine is 46"/116.5cm. I'm sure Reace will set the axle heights accordingly, on our new 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would hesitate to try a rolling unpowered support for the pinbox, on the basis of stability. When the subject of moving a 5.0 while unhitched from the truck was discussed earlier (Fifth wheel parking experts), it seemed that it might be a better idea to make a dolly which would support the trailer at the front of the lower frame, where the landing gear legs are, rather than up at the height of the pinbox. A dolly for the pin would probably need to be large and massive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

@padlin, the trailer i need to move will be a 5.0 Single Axle/Classic/Old Skool

@Alf, i did not know the axles got adjusted according to hitch height, hmm, i don't have a TV yet and since 5th wheels are not all too common overhere there's no easy way to measuring orasking someone.
I'm hoping normally hitch height will be more or less equal on most vehicles or that there will be somesort of "ballpark" regarding the trailer versus hitch height.

@brian, thanks for pointing that thread out to me it has some usefull info.

It seems most solutions have somesort of dolly under the kingpin since the jacks are considered not fit for lateral movement.

It seems i need to polish up the trusty welding torch.

Have fun!

Seef and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote