Larger fuel tank - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I understand that everyone has limited personal endurance before stopping, and that's likely well short of the tow vehicle's range... but we're talking about towing a travel trailer, which means that we can stop for a bathroom break, meal, or rest anywhere that there's a safe parking spot. Those parking spots don't come with fuel dispensers, so range between fuel stations and range between rest stops seem like quite separate issues to me.

Although most roads in North America have a fuel station within the range of even a modestly sized stock tank while towing, that station may be expensive, and it may not be convenient to be forced to stop when a station appears. I have about 500 km (300 miles) of range with the van towing the trailer, which is more than enough for the longest stretch I've seen between fuel stations, but the 800 km (500 mile) range of our motorhome is much more convenient.

If the fuel range and personal range must be tied together, I would want fuel range to be twice as far as personal range, so that I can choose at which rest stops I want to fuel up, not be forced to refuel at every one of them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gas stations in the city of Vancouver are becoming more and more rare. They are being redeveloped into condo and commercial space. And, the more electric vehicles that are adopted, the fewer gas stations.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’d like to add about 10 gallons to the Ranger’s 18.8 gallons. It’s the thing I like least about it. Some of the places we like to go, it can be a long way between gas stations. There is a project in the works to do a 35 gallon tank for it, but I think the drawbacks will keep me from it when it becomes available.
You probably mean this one,

https://rogue-offroad.com/LRA-Ford-F...-_p_11525.html

Only issue I have with it is that it appears (and that is the prototype we are looking at) is METAL rather than plastic.

I wonder who at Ford thought 18 gallons was a good idea, unless they are in cahoots with the aftermarket folks.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Yes that is the one in development. It is plastic, but so is the factory tank. The aftermarket tank hangs lower. There is room forward Ford could have used for a larger tank, but then it would extend under the cab / passenger space. I had hoped for something 25 - 30 gallons and not a reduction in clearance under the truck for this tank. It’s not a compromise I’ll make. I’ll just strap a couple of jugs down in the bed. Not ideal for a variety of reasons, but the best plan I have come up with. I am still open to options as I find them. The transfer tanks I have found are too large, and aftermarket tanks have other issues for me. I’ll probably find the right thing for me eventually. In the meantime, I’m going traveling.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
There are “sidekick” tanks that install to the inner side of the truck bed (don’t know if it would interfere with a truck bed cover or not). They aren’t tied into the fuel system. They have a shaker siphon hose for filling the truck’s gas tank. A company called Titan sells a 15 gallon sidekick tank. If we decide on a Ford Ranger as our TV, we might consider it - or more likely just go with the fuel cans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7BBFE76D-500E-4D2B-9527-0A820937BD2B.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	58748
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had the same problem with my 17 & RAV4. While it was never a problem on an Alaskan trip, I did have some close calls between fuel stops in Wyoming!

I really appreciate the 36 gallon fuel tank in my F 150, and am perfectly willing to not depend on an empty fuel tank as a reason to make a stop for a break.
Jon...I don’t want to drift too far from the subject but I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the Rav and 17B were when the highway took a different track and I had a 30mph direct crosswind. I was ready for a white knuckled battle but the combination handled extremely well.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I am familiar with the Titan SideKick. When I researched them, I decided I did not want one. I’m sure there are folks who like them.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
They’re nice but one needs to make sure u balance yer truck bed load so yer not heavy on one side n then have to rebalance when it is empty.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
There are “sidekick” tanks that install to the inner side of the truck bed (don’t know if it would interfere with a truck bed cover or not). They aren’t tied into the fuel system. They have a shaker siphon hose for filling the truck’s gas tank. A company called Titan sells a 15 gallon sidekick tank. If we decide on a Ford Ranger as our TV, we might consider it - or more likely just go with the fuel cans.

Attachment 58748
I found this tank - the Titan Sidekick - and mentioned it in another discussion of fuel capacity and range. I'm not sure that it would fit in a Ranger; that would need to be checked, but unfortunately Titan doesn't provide dimensional specifications. The applications listed by Titan include the Colorado/Canyon but not the Ranger, or even the F-150; the Tundra is also not listed.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I found this tank - the Titan Sidekick - and mentioned it in another discussion of fuel capacity and range. I'm not sure that it would fit in a Ranger; that would need to be checked, but unfortunately Titan doesn't provide dimensional specifications. The applications listed by Titan include the Colorado/Canyon but not the Ranger, or even the F-150; the Tundra is also not listed.
I first saw the Titan sidekick tank installed in a Ranger on a couple YouTube videos, so it does fit for sure (if anybody is interested).

https://youtu.be/DprJ-1FYC9Y
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0
If you want a cheaper interim solution, you could always carry some extra 5-gallon tanks in the bed of the truck and transfer the fuel manually. I did that for years and found that this product is really helpful to have in that situation, it helps make those roadside transfers fast and clean:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenTap-S...SPXL/304946561

Side note, eventually I changed my truck to a Silverado diesel and now I get 17 mpg towing, and so my range is about 400 miles. I only like to travel 350 miles in a day, so those midday fill-ups are a thing of the past for me!
Old 10-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
I first saw the Titan sidekick tank installed in a Ranger on a couple YouTube videos, so it does fit for sure (if anybody is interested).

https://youtu.be/DprJ-1FYC9Y
Old 10-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 - 19’ -- Our ‘Red Wagon ESCAPE’
Send a message via Yahoo to IBOACRES
I also have a F-150 36 gallon tank, and absolutely love it. For me it's not the extended mileage between re-fills. I as a rule, stop for fuel somewhere around 3/4 of a tank. 8-9-10 gallons, rest my eyes, stretch the legs. If there's a wide spread power failure while traveling, 27 to 36 gallons can get one pretty darn far along the highway.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOACRES View Post
For me it's not the extended mileage between re-fills.
It certainly is with me, especially out west where gas stations can be few and far between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOACRES View Post
If there's a wide spread power failure while traveling, 27 to 36 gallons can get one pretty darn far along the highway.
Power failure? Never thought of that, but it'd get me out of Texas if there's another statewide debacle like during the big freeze.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
One of the first things I did with my 1-ton dually was to upgrade the puny 32? gallon tank with a 55 gallon. A quick stop at a wide spot takes care of my bladder when official rest stops are few & far between. In the meantime I never have to hassle with finding a towing-compatible station while towing; and fill ups, tho rather costly, are quite often only every other towing day.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L View Post
I have a Tundra as my tow vehicle. It has a stock 26-gal tank. I'm thinking of going to a larger fuel tank; I think one one that seem to be popular is by TransferFlow, it is about 46-gal capacity and cost about $1,850 plus installation.

Anyone else done this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Larry L
I've got a 26 gal tank and debated doing this as well. After a FL to Colorado trip we voted it down. We learned to refill at 1/2 tank instead of 1/4 tank when in the long rural sections. That way you have no worries of running dry and it worked out very well. Exception would be on an Alaskan trip, but decided on that trip to have a couple of gerry cans as gas insurance. At most we will do 1-2 Alaska trips and that would only be necessary in parts of that state. Everywhere else we found it unnecessary, so far.
Our truck has a 1746lb payload which is much more important to us.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
I have a Tundra with the 26. I drove from Wisconsin to Chugiak, Alaska last fall and carried a couple 5-gallon gas cans as a precaution. Did not need either. If you fill up where you can, even along the Al-Can, the smaller tank is no problem.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just replaced my 2007 Tundra Double Cab with a 2019 Tundra Crew Max Limited, which has the larger 38 gallon tank. While I appreciate the extra distance allowed, there are a couple of minor drawbacks: 1) the payload capacity of the Tundra is diminished modestly, 2) if I let it go below 1/2 tank before filling, I'm forced to use a different credit card because of dollar limits that Visa/MasterCard have on gasoline purchases ($75, at least here in California). Of course, that's a function of California's ridiculous high gas prices, not a problem for the rest of the nation.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
..... 2) if I let it go below 1/2 tank before filling, I'm forced to use a different credit card because of dollar limits that Visa/MasterCard have on gasoline purchases ($75, at least here in California).....
FWIW this article from 2008 says the blame for that is on the filling station operator, not the credit card company

$75 limit on credit card charges at gas pump causes frustration
Old 10-06-2021, 01:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I just replaced my 2007 Tundra Double Cab with a 2019 Tundra Crew Max Limited, which has the larger 38 gallon tank. While I appreciate the extra distance allowed, there are a couple of minor drawbacks: 1) the payload capacity of the Tundra is diminished modestly, 2) if I let it go below 1/2 tank before filling, I'm forced to use a different credit card because of dollar limits that Visa/MasterCard have on gasoline purchases ($75, at least here in California). Of course, that's a function of California's ridiculous high gas prices, not a problem for the rest of the nation.
Most of the stations here have the $75 limit, at least on a debit card. I just hang it up, print the receipt and put the card in a second time for another $75. No problem. Could go on and on with the $75.

I can carry 130 gal in my tanks.