Latch pin trouble - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Latch pin trouble

After picking up our new 19', we hit the road for Wisconsin and then the Mississippi Rally. At a campsite in SD, I had trouble getting the hitch pin to line up and inserted.
I had to unhitch so I could raise the trailer front to get it level. However, I left the car and ball in place so when I wanted to leave the next morning I could just lower, latch and go. But, when I lowered the hitch to the ball the lever and collar went down as expected, but the pin did not line up. I tried moving the car forward and reverse to get it working but had major trouble. I finally hit it with a hammer and seemed to get enough alignment to insert the pin.
This seemed wrong to me. As the latch seemed to go down as it should I was wondering why the pin did not align.
Any word of wisdom or suggestions for solving this?
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If the latch and yoke are all the way down, you should be able to easily remove or insert the latch pin. If you pull the pin, you should be able to sight through the hole to the other side. Perhaps there is something inside obstructing it or it's defective in some other way. But you're right, it's not normal, and the pin shouldn't be hammered in.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had to replace our coupler at 20 months as yoke was opening with pin in place. You have a RAM coupler which is an Atwood knockoff made in China. I had to replace mine with the genuine item; no further problems for last 17 months.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If the latch and yoke are all the way down,.
That might not be the situation. I find, when hooking up, that it's much better to have the ball very slightly too far forward. As you lower the front of the coupler slides down the front of the ball staying as far away from the yoke as possible. In your case, things could have changed position a tiny amount and the ball could have been in contact with the yoke causing it not to completely latch. Theoretically you can crank it up and then lower it and it'll be exactly in the same position but that might not have been the situation in your case.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I find, when hooking up, that it's much better to have the ball very slightly too far forward. As you lower the front of the coupler slides down the front of the ball staying as far away from the yoke as possible.
Yep, I do the same thing, and for the same reason. It just slides into place that way.

You raise a good point, which is why I mentioned "if" it's all the way down.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
This is a coupler latch pin.
Practically every time I hitch up, I have to pull forward slightly to get the latch all the way in place. I can never seem to get into the exact position where I want to be as my car does not ever move a tad when I need it to. So you were doing the right thing to try to get hooked up completely by moving forward.

So just try moving the tug a tad bit forward when you can't get the pin in. The latch should then go all the way into place, hopefully. Make sure it is pulled back far enough in the first place before trying to get the ball in place.

Can't be sure that this will work for you but you can give it a try.

We dispensed with that pin provided and we have a locking latch pin. I don't like any of the locking pins but they suffice.

I and many use hitch pin to refer to the pin that holds the ball mount in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
After picking up our new 19', we hit the road for Wisconsin and then the Mississippi Rally. At a campsite in SD, I had trouble getting the hitch pin to line up and inserted.
I had to unhitch so I could raise the trailer front to get it level. However, I left the car and ball in place so when I wanted to leave the next morning I could just lower, latch and go. But, when I lowered the hitch to the ball the lever and collar went down as expected, but the pin did not line up. I tried moving the car forward and reverse to get it working but had major trouble. I finally hit it with a hammer and seemed to get enough alignment to insert the pin.
This seemed wrong to me. As the latch seemed to go down as it should I was wondering why the pin did not align.
Any word of wisdom or suggestions for solving this?
Thanks.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Mine also got to the point that I couldn't get the pin through after securing ball. Took over to a local trailer place and they slightly enlarged the hole with a drill. Problem solved.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I was terribly confused until I got a few posts into this thread. I could not understand how the Hitch Pin, which holds the ball mount in the receiver, could have the effect described.

Once I realized it was the Latch Pin, it all made sense.

Maybe a mod could change the title for those searching, and then delete this picky redundant post of mine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You coulda just read post #2. [emoji23] [emoji23]
Old 09-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You coulda just read post #2. [emoji23] [emoji23]
You expect me to understand your convoluted drivel?

You must be related to my wife, what with telling me I don't pay good enough attention.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We had a similar problem after a couple of years with our 21. We had to futz with the lever to get the latch pin in our out, and the small tabs at the bottom of the latch no longer engaged with the deck of the hitch so I sometimes had to use a screwdriver to raise the latch after I had gotten the pin out. We had the trailer in to Escape after the rally for some other work and they fixed the hitch with some precise percussive instrument they have. Since then it works really well.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
You expect me to understand your convoluted drivel?

You must be related to my wife, what with telling me I don't pay good enough attention.
Hi: Jim Bennett... I'm to poor to "Pay attention"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We had the trailer in to Escape after the rally for some other work and they fixed the hitch with some precise percussive instrument they have.

Does that mean they used their hammer? Nothing like a good whack!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
What, you mean you pay attention to your wife telling you that you're not paying attention.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Does that mean they used their hammer? Nothing like a good whack!
Did a similar adjustment to my 15B a few weeks ago. So far the heavy hammer solution has worked. Although I am prepared to give it a few more whacks.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What, you mean you pay attention to your wife telling you that you're not paying attention.

Ron
Hard to ignore with the accompanying cut upside the head. [emoji15]
Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I was terribly confused until I got a few posts into this thread. I could not understand how the Hitch Pin, which holds the ball mount in the receiver, could have the effect described.

Maybe a mod could change the title for those searching, and then delete this picky redundant post of mine.
I skipped the thread because I thought it was about a 5.0 and then later wondered how someone with a 19' was answering and what the heck were they talking about. . Yep, looked like some kind of convoluted drivel.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #18

Trailer: None now
Ours when we picked it up was a pain to latch and unlatch. I had to play with moving slightly back and forwards to get the latch to either engage or the ball to release.
Something else I had noticed was I did not have to jack the trailer up to install or remove the E2 sway bars, I could easily move them into place by hand with no force needed.
I figured Escape had installed it so it must be correct. But I also noticed my truck did not change measurements at all with sway bars installed. I had a nose up stance, not enough to have everyone thinking I had brights on but it could be better.
So I started over. I checked and the hitch ball was set to 19 1/2 inches. That was good so then I checked the spacer rivet. It had 4 washers to set the angle , trucks are supposed to start with 6.
So I added two more washers and checked measurements, getting close. Added 1 more washer and now my measurements are within what the manual says are acceptable. And now the trailer is much easier to latch and unlatch. I'm not sure why changing the angle of the hitch ball would affect that but it did. Before it was slightly towards the truck, now it tilts slightly away from the truck. And I have to jack the trailer up to install the sway bars now. I haven't taken it out other than to drive around locally but it seems to be ok.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote