Learning to Tow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Learning to Tow

Reading threads about driving this morning got me thinking and I just went out into the cold and drove our new (to us) Highlander for the first time since we purchased it. After all, the first step in towing is to feel comfortable in the tow vehicle. It's been a long time since I drove a Suburban.

I usually let Terry do the driving -- but when we got our airstream we both learned to tow it and back it up (although I'm a far superior direction giver) and my most challenging tow was through Bar Harbor at peak tourist time. However as time went on he did most of the driving. And the less driving I do the more apprehensive I get. Anyway, I think the Highlander and I are going to get along just fine. By the time we pick up the Escape in late May or June I'm hoping to feel totally comfortable with it so that I'll be able to tow the Escape
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ruthe - you will do just fine -- as you say it is just a matter of practice and getting used to it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IMHO anytime two people always travel together, pulling a travel trailer, it's important that both people know and can do everything (driving, hooking up, unhooking, etc). It doesn't mean you have to do it, just that you can. For instance, what happens if the only driver breaks a leg or arm and can't drive while the couple is out on a trip? While under stress is NOT the best time to try and drive (or hookup) for the very first time. Ocassionally take turns at one another's "jobs" will increase your enjoyment... truly. Knowledge and skill is power!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft, birthing date September 3, 2014
I have never towed, my only experience was when I was a teenager and my uncle had me pull a horse trailer though a gate he was unlocking and opening. At least Rob has pulled a few trailers, not travel trailers, just hauling trailers. I may have to rent a uhaul just to get some practice.

Xterra
Escape 19 (09/03/14)
Nilotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I agree Donna, but it's easy to fall into familiar roles. When the kids were young, I'd be the one slathering peanut butter on bread, balancing it all on my lap and Terry was thrilled he didn't have to do it and I wasn't dying to drive. And the more I wouldn't drive, the less I wanted to drive. Well, this time around we'll both be paying attention to the Escape orientation and there won't be kids needing attention. Meanwhile, it's not like I don't drive! I regularly drive alone (with two screaming cats) several hours to our place in the Finger Lakes -- i'm just making sure I adjust to the larger vehicle. I completely agree that knowledge and skill is power.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hey Donna D,
Didn't I hear something about you teaching a lady's only trailering clinic at Bandon next year?
I'll be sure to send Norma
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Old Bag doesn't have a driver's license. Can attend the clinic?

baglo
Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Ruth, our situation sounds similar to ours. Lisa was, and still is, more than willing to let me do all the driving. She is a good driver though. Until recently she had never towed anything. This one one reason I bought the Andersen WDH earlier this year, so there would be less of a 'trailer' feel to the ride, and she has since pulled a fair bit. I have worked with her a bit on reversing, but she much prefers to just hand over the wheel when it comes to that, and I have learned (somewhat) when not to push things.

Heck, she was even passing on a two lane highway. Once she gets going with something, there is no stopping her.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote