Leveling blocks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
Leveling blocks

I've ordered a 5.0 and need to get a second set of leveling blocks. I am curious about the curved leveling systems, one is by Anderson. Has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleta View Post
I've ordered a 5.0 and need to get a second set of leveling blocks. I am curious about the curved leveling systems, one is by Anderson. Has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks for sharing your expertise.
They work very well, but you have to remove approximately 1-inch at the tip for them to fit between the wheels. I cut mine with a chop saw and then rounded the edges of the cut using a 12-inch sanding disc on a ShopSmith. Some people have complained that the can slide. I have never had that problem but some have cut shallow groves in the underside and say that it helps prevent sliding when backing on to them.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Yes I have a pair along with the larger Anderson tire changer block. They are a good system especially if you have to correct a significant imbalance. They are adjustable as you drive back on them. Word of caution: on the Tandem Axel you will need to angle cut the leveler down on the one that is placed between the two wheels. They are too big for the distance between the tires on the 5 TA . To be honest I often don’t use this one as it can get wedged between the two tires while installing. My preferred option is 1 Anderson on the back tire and if needed a standard camco flat yellow block on the front tire.

Hope this helps. In summary a high quality levelling system but one that needs some attention when levelling a 5 TA.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Yes I have a pair along with the larger Anderson tire changer block. They are a good system especially if you have to correct a significant imbalance. They are adjustable as you drive back on them. Word of caution: on the Tandem Axel you will need to angle cut the leveler down on the one that is placed between the two wheels. They are too big for the distance between the tires on the 5 TA . To be honest I often don’t use this one as it can get wedged between the two tires while installing. My preferred option is 1 Anderson on the back tire and if needed a standard camco flat yellow block on the front tire.

Hope this helps. In summary a high quality levelling system but one that needs some attention when levelling a 5 TA.
Mark, why don’t you just trim one or both of them as many have done. That would eliminate getting the stuck between the two wheels. I use my Anderson levellers almost exclusively. Only time I don’t use them is when I only need to raise one side or the other a small amount.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
Anderson chocks are assume! Cut the center one down. Watched my dad over the years leveling their camper. This is a no brainier.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Mark, why don’t you just trim one or both of them as many have done. That would eliminate getting the stuck between the two wheels. I use my Anderson levellers almost exclusively. Only time I don’t use them is when I only need to raise one side or the other a small amount.
I did trim the second one down when I got it. It works but I often don’t need it. One does the job.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21'
I liked the idea so much, I just made my own out of wood
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I don't have the Anderson but the more heavier duty version, can't remember what the brand is. Yes I like them and no I don't like them. I've had times where they work no problems and other times like using them on pine straw it seems to slide and makes it tough to drive on them. Also had the problem of the one in between getting stuck and yes it is cut down as far as they recommend you cut it, one time it was a PAIN IN THE %^&&%%$ to get out..
I still most of time start off with these an if they slide I then try the blocks since we carry both.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I don't have the Anderson but the more heavier duty version, can't remember what the brand is. Yes I like them and no I don't like them. I've had times where they work no problems and other times like using them on pine straw it seems to slide and makes it tough to drive on them. Also had the problem of the one in between getting stuck and yes it is cut down as far as they recommend you cut it, one time it was a PAIN IN THE %^&&%%$ to get out..
I still most of time start off with these an if they slide I then try the blocks since we carry both.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Hi Steve this is exactly my experience as well. You can only cut the block down so far.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
I have the Anderson curved blocks and love them! Most situations that is all I need and they are so easy. I do carry a couple of the square leveling block kits that you get at Walmart. They are good as a backup to the andersons but also are good to use under landing gear and back stabilizers so you don't have to crank them down so far. Get the optional flat top blocks as they make it a lot easier to use since without them you are trying to put the stabilizer between the lego pieces.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I tried the Anderson levelers and they like to drove me nuts! As soon as I had it level I had to go past that point to insert the other blocks and then let it center. Leveling took forever. I went back to stacks of 2 X 10s about ten inches long with one edge beveled at a 45 degree angle. They are inexpensive and you don't have to mess around.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
I did trim the second one down when I got it. It works but I often don’t need it. One does the job.
It is my understanding that it is much better for both wheels to be raised when leveling rather than just one. I do know that Andersen recommends using two on tandem axle trailers. Perhaps someone with technical knowledge can chime in.
Brian, perhaps?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
It is my understanding that it is much better for both wheels to be raised when leveling rather than just one. I do know that Andersen recommends using two on tandem axle trailers. Perhaps someone with technical knowledge can chime in.
Brian, perhaps?
I agree, with the tandem axle, both wheels should be chocked and supported to prevent frame stress.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Brian, perhaps?
From a safety point of view both wheels engaged with the ground, or through chocks to the ground is more stable and less likely to slip off than one wheel, and for that reason two chocks make sense. However from a structural load perspective, each individual wheel and the frame will see loads several times greater traveling down the road over bumps and hollows at varying speeds than sitting static while camped. and one wheel can easily hold the trailer without structural issues. Therefore it would primarily be a safety issue.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #15

So I’ve done a lengthy search through my email archives and found a response from Andersen from a few years ago when I first considered/researched their levelers. Their response (which follows) was copied directly from that message:

“We recommend a leveler on each axle to help level the trailer. When only using one leveler it does not properly distribute the weight on the one side needing leveled. You can cause extra stress on the axles by trying to compensate the lift on the one axle being lifted. When using two axles with two camper levelers you are getting the proper lift for each tire to level the trailer on the one side.”

I am not qualified to debate the issue, as I lack the technical expertise on wheel or axle stress in various situations or conditions. All I can say is that proverbially speaking, this is directly from the horse’s mouth, and in this case, the horse that manufactures the product in question. I always use both levelers. Everyone is free to make the choice to only use one. If the Andersen response is in fact correct, it’s not my trailer’s components that will be stressed.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
So I’ve done a lengthy search through my email archives and found a response from Andersen from a few years ago when I first considered/researched their levelers. Their response (which follows) was copied directly from that message:

“We recommend a leveler on each axle to help level the trailer. When only using one leveler it does not properly distribute the weight on the one side needing leveled. You can cause extra stress on the axles by trying to compensate the lift on the one axle being lifted. When using two axles with two camper levelers you are getting the proper lift for each tire to level the trailer on the one side.”

I am not qualified to debate the issue, as I lack the technical expertise on wheel or axle stress in various situations or conditions. All I can say is that proverbially speaking, this is directly from the horse’s mouth, and in this case, the horse that manufactures the product in question. I always use both levelers. Everyone is free to make the choice to only use one. If the Andersen response is in fact correct, it’s not my trailer’s components that will be stressed.
Agreed. The only time I use one is to lift the other wheel off the ground to adjust the brakes or some other such maintenance.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
I tried the Anderson levelers and they like to drove me nuts! As soon as I had it level I had to go past that point to insert the other blocks and then let it center. Leveling took forever. I went back to stacks of 2 X 10s about ten inches long with one edge beveled at a 45 degree angle. They are inexpensive and you don't have to mess around.
I get the trailer level, and kick the wedge under the front of each til its in snug, and then release the TV brakes and it stays right where it is.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I liked the idea so much, I just made my own out of wood
Yes, I have always made my own, 2x6 pressure treat is all that is needed.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
How do you chock your wheels when they are up on these boards?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
I use them exclusively and I would wholeheartedly recommend them too. As someone stated, one of the levelers needs to be shortened.

2-Pack Camper Leveler, Chock Kit | Andersen 3604 x2 | Less Than 5 Minutes to Level Your Camper or Trailer | Levelers for RV | Simply Drive On. Chock. Done. | Faster and Easier Than RV Leveling Blocks! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYQ1Z8S..._BzOvEbWMX0GD6

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote