Mid Size SUV Owners - WDH Suggestions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, I can't speak for Karen, but after 6 years of hooking up our 17B's WDH and now a few months with the 21's, if the cranking itself is tougher on the 21, I'd be hard pressed to verify it.

If someone does have physical problems then I can more than understand the need for power jack and maybe even some sort of powered drill for the levelers. But for otherwise healthy folks, I'll stick with my considering a power front jack as a non- necessity. Desirable for some but personally I need the exercise.
Both my 15B and 19 have manual jacks. I cannot notice any real difference between the resistance required to operate either of those jacks. Both are relatively easy to operate, and to me also, a power jack would be a waste of power.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Thank you all for the imput. I am really liking this Escape Owners Forum already. It seems like positive feedback on all 3 WDH (Andersen, Pro Series, and Fastway E2). Does anyone know how heavy these WDHs are. I think I read the Andersen was 60 lbs, which seems pretty reasonable.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I went with the top of the line Equalizer Hitch. It is made in the USA and guaranteed for life. I did a significant amount of research. Called all the manufacturers. What was the deciding issue for me was an independent study that measured the force i.e. pounds of sway resistance and the Equaluzer was by far the most. I ordered my hitch on line and took it with me to Escape where Dennis installed it for a fee while I did my orientation. Works very well.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #24
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
I don't have anything else to compare to since our first towing and WDH. I feel the Anderson WDH does a great job of anti-sway but I can't get it to raise the back-end to pre-load height. I think this also has to do with Honda Pilot having a soft springs in the backend. In the end, I just gave up trying to level to the pre-load height, and just accept the fact that the towing is smooth despite the backend being lowered.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
I went with the top of the line Equalizer Hitch. It is made in the USA and guaranteed for life. I did a significant amount of research. Called all the manufacturers. What was the deciding issue for me was an independent study that measured the force i.e. pounds of sway resistance and the Equaluzer was by far the most. I ordered my hitch on line and took it with me to Escape where Dennis installed it for a fee while I did my orientation. Works very well.
Do you mean Equal-i-zer or similar? (If I have it not quite right). Escape uses the term "Equalizer" for their Pro Series, but it is not an Equal-i-zer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #26
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Also, as for jack workout, with the Anderson WDH, it's either a light aerobic 40 to 50 cranks, or you can loosen the WDH nut and tighten using lug wrench .. either way it's aerobic.
I'm not sure how this compares with other WDHs.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Do you mean Equal-i-zer or similar? (If I have it not quite right). Escape uses the term "Equalizer" for their Pro Series, but it is not an Equal-i-zer.
No, I mean Equalizer the company. I'm not with my Escape now otherwise I'd send u a photo. To be clear, I did not consider the Anderson Hitch. I think it is probably the best Hitch, but it is very expensive and can be difficult to Hitch and unhitch if u r not on level ground. This is based on actual experience as a camping friend had a new one and while he admired its engineering he frequently cursed its finicky nature.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
I ordered my hitch on line and took it with me to Escape where Dennis installed it for a fee while I did my orientation. Works very well.
Moaboy can you tell me how much it was cost me to have ETI install a WDH if I don't buy the hitch from them.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Does anyone know how heavy these WDHs are. I think I read the Andersen was 60 lbs, which seems pretty reasonable.
Looks like my ETI supplied Pro Series is about 35 lbs. The homemade handle is right at the balance point so it makes for easy carrying and one-handed removal and insertion which is nice as it avoids touching the greasy ball.

I'm with the "crank it up" to make it easy to install. I use my fingers only, never the supplied bar. Some folks do seem to like using the lever advantage and not bother with taking some of the weight off. I can always tell when my neighbor hooks up from the large clangs.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG   IMGP0021_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Got out the luggage scale. My Pro Series hitch came in at 36.7 lbs and the bars at 13 lbs. each.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
No, I mean Equalizer the company. I'm not with my Escape now otherwise I'd send u a photo.
Do you mean the Provo, Utah company?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here's a picture of Equal-i-zer hitch. Second is picture from ETI site described as Equalizer hitch. There is also Equalizer hitch with sway control, but no picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 5.40.19 PM.png   Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 5.45.21 PM.png  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
power jack on 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Both my 15B and 19 have manual jacks. I cannot notice any real difference between the resistance required to operate either of those jacks. Both are relatively easy to operate, and to me also, a power jack would be a waste of power.
Didn't have it and didn't miss it on my 17B with no WDH. Really like it on the 19 with WDH. Just my experience.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #34

I misspoke, it was the Hensley Hitch my buddy had trouble hitching and unhitching with unless he was on perfectly level ground. Of course, it could have been a function of "operator error" as well. He had a 32 ft trailer and it did a great job, but expensive. I'm very pleased with my Equalizer brand hitch, I think a Hensley would be "overkill" on my 19, but for others it might add more peace of mind.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I think a Hensley would be "overkill" on my 19, but for others it might add more peace of mind.
Over 2 Grand, heavy and unnecessary for a light trailer. That's some awfully expensive peace of mind.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #36

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Here's a picture of Equal-i-zer hitch. Second is picture from ETI site described as Equalizer hitch. There is also Equalizer hitch with sway control, but no picture.
I have a Toyota Highlander and use the hitch illustrated in the second picture. Got it on Craigslist for $175. It came with a sway bar which I also use. Probably a little overkill but couldn't beat the price. I don't have a power jack either, and have no problem.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote