Mid Size SUV Owners - WDH Suggestions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Mid Size SUV Owners - WDH Suggestions

Hi. I am new to this forum. This is my first question of what I am sure will be many as we have a 21 on order. I was hoping to get opinions from mid size SUV owners (Highlander, Santa Fe, or any other with 5000 lbs tow capacity). What Weight Distribution Hitch do you use/recommend? I know the full size truck owners could have good advice for me too, but I tend to think that full size trucks are a different animal when it comes to towing. The ones I am currently considering are the Pro Series, the E2, and the Andersen. I would appreciate any advice or suggestion. Thank you.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wdh

Hi
We have the Anderson for our 2013 Escape 21 towed by the indefatigable 2012 Toyota Highlander. Works well, tows level, more times I hook it up the easier it gets. I have a Power front jack which came with the trailer when we purchased it used this past summer. Makes for less cranking. On the previous Escape a 2010 19 that weighed in at 3680 lbs. we had the Pro Series. It worked very well also. In both cases our tongue weight was between 400 and 450 Lbs according to the Sherline scale. The Anderson is lighter than the pro series. Both work well.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We had the ProSeries on our 17B and it worked well, now we have the E2 on the 21 and it also works great. With the lack of any hint of sway, i think the ProSeries would have been fine on the 21 also. Either was quite easy to hook up for us. And to echo Dave, the Highlander, especially the new '17 is a great tow vehicle for us.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Wdh

Standard Pro Series works great towing my 19 with an FJ Cruiser, rated 5000 lbs.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We tow our 21 with a 2015 Explorer and a 5000# rating. We originally got the Pro Series with Anti-Sway bar, but have since stopped using the Anti-Sway bar. We notice no difference with or without. The Pro Series works great and is easy to use. I added a power jack a couple of months ago, and it makes the process very easy.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Wdh

IMHO if you want to use a WDH you better get a power tongue jack unless you want some serious arm workouts.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Power Jack

You’re right about the power jack. It simplifies things when you need to tighten the threads on the Anderson. I keep my wings in shape doing 12 ounce curls.
Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
No power jack for us and don't feel any need for one...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Youth is wasted on the young

Eric,
Yah, you young whippersnappers will have your day.
Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
with a WDH: get the power jack. no question.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I haven't decided yet which is worse, the noise of the electric jack or the effort required to wind my manual jack. Nothing for me to do, but get older yet.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Electric jack is nice, but keep in mind it will add 15-20lbs to your tongue weight. Not a trivial amount since we're talking about mid-size SUV's.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
Electric jack is nice, but keep in mind it will add 15-20lbs to your tongue weight. Not a trivial amount since we're talking about mid-size SUV's.
I can't verify your #'s, but sounds as if it could be correct....

but filling your fresh water tank will take about the same, or more, off your tongue weight, of course.

I like our Shureline 1,000 lb scale, and the ability to see what is going on

John
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

As I crank up the front jack, crank down the stabilizers, hook up the WDH, I'm getting a portion of those weight bearing exercises my aging bones and joints need on a daily basis. I sure wouldn't call an electric front jack an essential item - but again YMMV.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #15

Werkout

Hi Eric
Next year I’ll run the pencil and you run the breaker bar, my treat. Just kidding, probably wouldn’t have the power unit if it hadn’t come with the rig. To each his own.
Dave
Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I sure wouldn't call an electric front jack an essential item...
I wholeheartedly agree here. It seems there are remotes for everything now...televisions, devices, awnings, fans, etc. Why not steps, jacks and stablilizers? (Although those McRigs already have them.) Soon one won't need to get off the couch to do anything. "Hey, Alexa, hitch up the trailer, please."
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I wholeheartedly agree here. It seems there are remotes for everything now...televisions, devices, awnings, fans, etc. Why not steps, jacks and stablilizers? (Although those McRigs already have them.) Soon one won't need to get off the couch to do anything. "Hey, Alexa, hitch up the trailer, please."
Karen have you ever hooked up (then later unhooked) a loaded 21' ETI trailer with a WDH?

I specify loaded 21' as it weights more than a 15' and i bet cranking is more effort on a 21'... because.... physics.

Just curious.

for those that maybe done know:

steps:
crank trailer up

get tug under the coupler

crank down trailer

connect to tug

crank up trailer to take weight off rear of tug

connect the WDH arms

crank down, raise the trailer foot all the way.

and to unhook.... repeat the same steps, in the opposite way.

In other words... lots of cranking.

As some people get older.... or maybe have back or shoulder injuries... they may really appreciate the ease of using a WDH when you have the power jack.

Yes it can be added later, but it is a bit of a pain to get power to that location.

The cost to have ETI put it in from the get go is pretty low, compared to the whole trailer.

Just info for those who have never used a WDH

John
Old 10-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Hi. I am new to this forum. This is my first question of what I am sure will be many as we have a 21 on order. I was hoping to get opinions from mid size SUV owners (Highlander, Santa Fe, or any other with 5000 lbs tow capacity). What Weight Distribution Hitch do you use/recommend? I know the full size truck owners could have good advice for me too, but I tend to think that full size trucks are a different animal when it comes to towing. The ones I am currently considering are the Pro Series, the E2, and the Andersen. I would appreciate any advice or suggestion. Thank you.
Matt we have the ETI installed Fastway e2 and like it a lot.

We previously owned a Casita with a Kurt WDH

for me the best part of the e2 is that you can back up, even sharp turns, and leave the e2 on.

so it is never a worry at the end of a long day.... getting to the back in campsite.... oh i have to remember to remove the sway bar (if the WDH has a separate sway bar) before backing up!

some say that even with sway bars you can do gentle back ups.... no problems... but i dont want to think about it at all.

so we are happy with the e2.

and...

we tow with a 2011 Acura MDX... and it is safe to tow with, but merging onto a busy freeway (So Cal especially) can be a little hair raising..... planting the gas pedal doesnt exactly cause fast merging.

and we don't go 60 mph over steep mountain ranges... we tend to do 50 mph (45 at worst) in the slow lanes with the trucks....

we are looking at eventually getting a more powerful torque + HP tug.

I know Arizona Jack used to tow with the Dodge Durango with the big engine... and it does have awesome torque and HP... it would be a fantastic tow vehicle - i believe way more power than the ones you listed above.

so if So Cal freeways and mountains are in your plans.... look very carefully at both HP and Torque #'s ... based on our experiences with a 2017 21'....

we have HVAC, dual solar, under foam, thermal windows, but we travel light and only carry about 4-ish days of food.

also get a 1,000 lb sureline scale, and a bunch of Lynx Levelers, and ge sure to load the trailer properly!!!

be safe, and you'll love it

cheers

John in LA.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I specify loaded 21' as it weights more than a 15' and i bet cranking is more effort on a 21'... because.... physics.
Well, I can't speak for Karen, but after 6 years of hooking up our 17B's WDH and now a few months with the 21's, if the cranking itself is tougher on the 21, I'd be hard pressed to verify it.

If someone does have physical problems then I can more than understand the need for power jack and maybe even some sort of powered drill for the levelers. But for otherwise healthy folks, I'll stick with my considering a power front jack as a non- necessity. Desirable for some but personally I need the exercise.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, I can't speak for Karen, but after 6 years of hooking up our 17B's WDH and now a few months with the 21's, if the cranking itself is tougher on the 21, I'd be hard pressed to verify it.

If someone does have physical problems then I can more than understand the need for power jack and maybe even some sort of powered drill for the levelers. But for otherwise healthy folks, I'll stick with my considering a power front jack as a non- necessity. Desirable for some but personally I need the exercise.
should have clarified... my bad.

isnt tongue weight more on a 21' than a 15'?