Must Have Tailgate Clearance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Must Have Tailgate Clearance

Hi: I am looking for a WDH setup that allows for tailgate clearance. I carry a dog box in the back of my Toyota Tundra and the dogs will need to be aired, etc., requiring use of the tailgate. Am looking at the Fastway e2, or maybe another hitch that would work here? Would an extended shank solve this issue? E-trailer sells a couple that provide for 15" long and 4" drop. I'm getting the lift on the trailer.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
Hi: I am looking for a WDH setup that allows for tailgate clearance. I carry a dog box in the back of my Toyota Tundra and the dogs will need to be aired, etc., requiring use of the tailgate. Am looking at the Fastway e2, or maybe another hitch that would work here? Would an extended shank solve this issue? E-trailer sells a couple that provide for 15" long and 4" drop. I'm getting the lift on the trailer.
An extended shank can impact your maximum tongue weight your truck can safely handle so you might want to look into that issue.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21
On my RAM, the only thing that my tailgate hit was the electric tongue Jack. I rotated the motor “top,” which was an easy fix. The E2 is pretty far away on my vehicle though; and the tailgate can’t hit the hitch.

Not sure how low the tailgate is on a Tundra. More than likely, there are people here that own Tundras, and could verify the distance.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:48 AM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I have a 2015 Tundra CrewMax towing our 2020 21NE.
We have the Fastway E2 hitch purchased with our 21.

I could not open the tailgate while hitched to the trailer when we first got the trailer.

BUT I was able to remedy that problem with thanks to the gals from Adventures in Nomadness.

You should have no difficulty in doing this modification and does not change the performance of the Lippert electric jack.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
To anyone considering the electric tongue jack, we received our trailer in Sept 2021 and the post on our jack does not have the extra holes. Had we known this was the case, we would have opted for the manual jack. We were surprised when we tried to turn the head and discovered there are only 2 holes in the post, not four as described in the Adventures in Nomadness video. So, now we can't open our tailgate without hitting the head of the electric jack. Live and learn.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
To anyone considering the electric tongue jack, we received our trailer in Sept 2021 and the post on our jack does not have the extra holes. Had we known this was the case, we would have opted for the manual jack. We were surprised when we tried to turn the head and discovered there are only 2 holes in the post, not four as described in the Adventures in Nomadness video. So, now we can't open our tailgate without hitting the head of the electric jack. Live and learn.
One can drill and tap the necessary hole needed. Make sure you place a a rag or towel down inside the pipe to catch the metal shavings when the drill bit goes thru . Also helps if you put a small magnet inside the towel. Just a thought for you so you get the clearance you need.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thank you for the suggestion. We'll give it a try. :-)
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. We'll give it a try. :-)
Just take your time don’t force to the drill bit n use oil to help

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
My husband also used Ronda and Angie's solution - worked like a charm!
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 E19
Easy fix for no holes..........

F-150 Raptor and E2 Fastaway with lifted E19

I had to drill / tap new holes to rotate mine for tailgate clearance.

Use the powerhead as a template - rotate it where you want it and drill / tap thru the existing powerhead holes (no threads to mess up in powerhead) . Do one at a time. After drilling and tapping the first one, screw the bolt in to hold it all in alignment while you drill and tap the 2nd one.

Pull the head back off after doing both holes and make sure everything is cleaned up (shavings).

Took me about 30 minutes but I had to remove 1 propane tank and the regulator (easy) to have room to drill/tap the 2nd (back) hole.

Well worth it - WONDERFUL!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
A slightly longer shank, and I mean an inch or two, will make no noticeable difference in the handling of the trailer. I'm assuming you have a standard 2 inch receiver on your truck. The shanks are interchangeable between brands, as the hole spacing on the vertical 2 inch bar that the hitch head mounts to is the same, 2 inch square with 3/4 holes spaced 1-1/4 inch center to center. You can use an equalizer shank on a Blue Ox hitch head or a Reese shank on a Curt hitch head.

I had an Equalizer hitch on one trailer and then when I got the Bigfoot, I installed a Blue Ox hitch (both trailers have the same coupler welded to the tongue so the tongue jack is the exact same distance back from the ball) and the Blue Ox shank extended an inch further out, giving me enough clearance for the tailgate to clear the tongue jack.

The only difference in shanks is the weight rating of them, and with an Escape trailer, any shank will be sufficient.

Charles

Old 02-19-2023, 11:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 E19
Another possible option

Some (very few) powered jacks also allow for a "sideways" orientation mounting option (they all should!) that may allow the necessary clearance.

Get the standard manual jack from ETI, then change it out

Example - Bulldog #500187 (see the mounting plate in the pic and the installation PDF)

https://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...-jack-3500-lbs
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 05:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My F250 tailgate hit my manual jack with a standard 2" hitch, I got a longer ball mount, I think it's 14" outside length, and it clears perfectly. I don't use or need a WDH with our E21. Ah, it's a CURT 45260 Class 3 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 1-Inch Hole, 2-In Drop, 3/4-Inch Rise

I used the same thing with my Tacoma for our Casita.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Some (very few) powered jacks also allow for a "sideways" orientation mounting option (they all should!) that may allow the necessary clearance.

Get the standard manual jack from ETI, then change it out

Example - Bulldog #500187 (see the mounting plate in the pic and the installation PDF)

https://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...-jack-3500-lbs
FWIW we installed that exact Bulldog electric tongue jack last year and so far it has been fantastic. Mounted it sideways for better clearance on 4Runner rear hatch and better fit against propane cover.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post415983
Old 02-21-2023, 10:33 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
A slightly longer shank, and I mean an inch or two, will make no noticeable difference in the handling of the trailer. I'm assuming you have a standard 2 inch receiver on your truck. The shanks are interchangeable between brands, as the hole spacing on the vertical 2 inch bar that the hitch head mounts to is the same, 2 inch square with 3/4 holes spaced 1-1/4 inch center to center. You can use an equalizer shank on a Blue Ox hitch head or a Reese shank on a Curt hitch head.

I had an Equalizer hitch on one trailer and then when I got the Bigfoot, I installed a Blue Ox hitch (both trailers have the same coupler welded to the tongue so the tongue jack is the exact same distance back from the ball) and the Blue Ox shank extended an inch further out, giving me enough clearance for the tailgate to clear the tongue jack.

The only difference in shanks is the weight rating of them, and with an Escape trailer, any shank will be sufficient.

Charles
The power jack on our 21C had already been rotated sideways when we got it. But with the Fastway E2 WDH our 2013 Expedition liftgate hit the jack. So with seller Shawn's help, we got a longer shank (14" I think, without going out to measure), and the liftgate clears nicely. As far as I can tell (nothing to compare it with, really) it tows just fine.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 - 21C
Another option

At the Escape rally at Fort Casey last spring, I learned a relatively inexpensive, but very easy option for getting more tailgate clearance. Trailer Valet has a basic manual jack that has a special socket you put on your favorite battery operated drill. Then you attach it to the crank fitting, and raise and lower the jack however you want. It is way faster than the commercial electronic jacks, too. The tail gate on my F-350 clears easily now, and I don't have to get a really long shank, which was what I was doing prior to seeing the light.
dcgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrout View Post
At the Escape rally at Fort Casey last spring, I learned a relatively inexpensive, but very easy option for getting more tailgate clearance. Trailer Valet has a basic manual jack that has a special socket you put on your favorite battery operated drill. Then you attach it to the crank fitting, and raise and lower the jack however you want. It is way faster than the commercial electronic jacks, too. The tail gate on my F-350 clears easily now, and I don't have to get a really long shank, which was what I was doing prior to seeing the light.

Great find. Thank you for sharing. I looked on the website and it wasn't immediately clear which one to get. Could you clarify? I was looking here .
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2022 - 21C
Trailer Valet

You will need either the JX 2K model or the JX 5K.
dcgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post

I'm guessing at some point, trailer makers are going to have to have a longer "nose", if truck manufacturers keep designing taller & taller Bed walls. I love my II Gen Tacoma, as I can get at things standing on the ground, through the side opening window on the topper. At my age(knees & hips) not climbing up into it to get stuff.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 05:05 PM   #20

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Would something like this work?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...0aAgrSEALw_wcB

Or is it a bad idea since you would then be relying on two hitch pins instead of one?