Need Denver? area Andersen hitch installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Trying to put this information into a post is likely to create some conflicting "opinions" but here goes.

I went through hundreds of posts when getting my rig set up and I could not find a consensus on what works best. This isn't either as I would recommend mounting one inch forward, so there might be a better universal brackets than I used or holes may need to be drilled in the frame.

Prior to 2019 Trademaster's in Chilliwack installed many hitches behind the rear axle in short bed trucks because of the clearance issue. It appears early 2019 they quit doing this (I'd venture as a lawsuit protection). They now mount standard location which I believe puts it an inch or two in front of the axle. This creates two issues.
1) shorter turn angle
2) tailgate clearance - when hitched there is very little clearance for the tailgate to be opened, so when hitching the tailgate needs to be raised once king pin is in the box. This tailgate problem is not only on the short box F150, it exists on all the F150 box sizes.

There is much info on the forum that the 800 lbs 5th wheel hitch weight a couple inches behind the axle has less effect than the 500 - 600 lbs placed behind the hitch behind the rear bumper.

In the past the owner of ETI said the minimum for cab clearance needs to be 30 inches.

We mounted RAIL MOUNT ANDERSEN ULTIMATE with the center of the Kingpin approximately 35 inches behind the cab, this has worked out just fine for us. I would also state that this would be the absolute maximum as the back of the Kingpin mount back comes to within one inch of the tailgate. This has not been a problem for us, but if I were to do it again I would move it ahead 1" and only 1 inch.

We did not need to drill any holes in the frame. Reese Universal Base Rails and Installation Kit (etrailer # RP30035). Our holes matched up, but moving the hitch one inch forward may call for different Universal Mounting Brackets or drilling holes in the frame.

Our trailer tows perfectly, we have plenty of turn angle, I haven't measured, but we never come close to jack knifing the trailer. I can both hitch up and get into the truck bed with the tailgate down (can walk between with tailgate down).

I know most people struggle with this decision as I did, hopefully this helps. I know most 5.0TA owners mount with in the "normal" mount locations and do well with it, I have not heard of a 5.0TA owner who regretted getting the 5.0TA because of their hitch location.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Trying to put this information into a post is likely to create some conflicting "opinions" but here goes.

We mounted RAIL MOUNT ANDERSEN ULTIMATE with the center of the Kingpin approximately 35 inches behind the cab, this has worked out just fine for us. I would also state that this would be the absolute maximum as the back of the Kingpin mount back comes to within one inch of the tailgate. This has not been a problem for us, but if I were to do it again I would move it ahead 1" and only 1 inch.

We did not need to drill any holes in the frame. Reese Universal Base Rails and Installation Kit (etrailer # RP30035). Our holes matched up, but moving the hitch one inch forward may call for different Universal Mounting Brackets or drilling holes in the frame.
Ronn,

I have been looking for a rail kit that I can install in my F150 so that the hitch is behind the axle and doesn't require drilling or welding onto the frame to install.
This may be the rail kit I have been looking for.

A couple of questions:
Did you install the kit yourself and did you need to deviate from the normal installation to get the offset from the axle that you got?

Is it the kingpin on the trailer that is 35" behind the cab or is it the ball on the Andersen hitch?

Do you have the kingpin adapter turned toward the trailer of toward the truck cab?

How are the rails and bases holding up for you? Would you still choose this kit over the custom kits?

Thanks,
Kevin
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Very good questions Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Ronn,

I have been looking for a rail kit that I can install in my F150 so that the hitch is behind the axle and doesn't require drilling or welding onto the frame to install.
This may be the rail kit I have been looking for.

A couple of questions:
Did you install the kit yourself and did you need to deviate from the normal installation to get the offset from the axle that you got?
Before retirement I had a fleet of 14 vehicles and we used a mechanic in a small two person shop. For the rail (hitch) installation he allowed me to work with him in his shop. Having a lift made it a lot easier than having to lay under the vehicle. So he did most of the work and I helped.

We did not do the "custom" brackets designed for the F150, they are designed to be mounted closer to the cab than I wanted. We ordered the "Universal Kit" from etrailer (Reece Universal Base Rails and Installation Kit #RP30035). We also ordered another set of just brackets and hardware in case we needed to create a more custom installation. That bracket kit was "Husky Universal Mounting Bracked Kit #HT31563 - this kit is only brackets and hardware, not the rails. We did not need to use any of the parts in the Husky kit and returned them for a full refund.

I wanted the center of the rails to be at least 32 inches and not more than 35 inches behind the cab and the Reese kit worked for that without drilling holes. If I were to redo it I would want to have the center 34" behind the cab. The Husky brackets may make that without drilling holes, otherwise I would drill holes to accomplish that distance. The reason I would want to be at 34" is because my tailgate is very close to hitting the back of the Kingpin (about an inch). This hasn't happened and we have been in many different configurations, but I think an additional inch would be best.

Is it the kingpin on the trailer that is 35" behind the cab or is it the ball on the Andersen hitch?
When we where working on this we based our measurements on the center of the rails - not the ball or king pin. I am hoping I got the terminology right here. The ball is 39" behind the cab, bringing the "pin to 35" (coupler is turned to the back). The simple answer for me is that the center of the rails is 35" behind the cab. The Andersen ball is offset 4" to the rear and the coupler brings the pin back to the center of the rails (forward 4"). Somewhat complicated, for me it was I just based the setback of 35" off the center between the rails.

Do you have the kingpin adapter turned toward the trailer of toward the truck cab?
the kingpin adapter is turned toward the trailer. My understanding is if it is turned the other way (toward the truck) your kingpin will come into contact with the bed rails.

How are the rails and bases holding up for you? Would you still choose this kit over the custom kits?
The rails are the same as any 5th wheel hitch rails, so yes, no issues. I would not do the custom F150 kit due to both cab clearance and lack
of room to keep the tailgate down (I can walk between the down tailgate and the trailer when hitched up) If I were doing it today I would order the same universal kit and the extra universal brackets (Husky) with the objective to have the middle between the rails 34" behind the cab. If between the two kits I could not mount at 33 to 34 inches I would drill holes in the frame to accomplish this or I would have someone make me brackets that worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck with Andersen Ultimate IMG_20200604_165224.jpg   Hitched w tailgate down IMG_20200605_095625.jpg   Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Thanks Ronn, This is very helpful information. I'll be looking into ordering the Reese kit for my truck today.

Kevin
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #25

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post

I went through hundreds of posts when getting my rig set up and I could not find a consensus on what works best. This isn't either as I would recommend mounting one inch forward, so there might be a better universal brackets than I used or holes may need to be drilled in the frame.

Prior to 2019 Trademaster's in Chilliwack installed many hitches behind the rear axle in short bed trucks because of the clearance issue. It appears early 2019 they quit doing this (I'd venture as a lawsuit protection). They now mount standard location which I believe puts it an inch or two in front of the axle. This creates two issues.
1) shorter turn angle
2) tailgate clearance - when hitched there is very little clearance for the tailgate to be opened, so when hitching the tailgate needs to be raised once king pin is in the box. This tailgate problem is not only on the short box F150, it exists on all the F150 box sizes.

There is much info on the forum that the 800 lbs 5th wheel hitch weight a couple inches behind the axle has less effect than the 500 - 600 lbs placed behind the hitch behind the rear bumper.

In the past the owner of ETI said the minimum for cab clearance needs to be 30 inches.

Our trailer tows perfectly, we have plenty of turn angle, I haven't measured, but we never come close to jack knifing the trailer. I can both hitch up and get into the truck bed with the tailgate down (can walk between with tailgate down).

I know most people struggle with this decision as I did, hopefully this helps. I know most 5.0TA owners mount with in the "normal" mount locations and do well with it, I have not heard of a 5.0TA owner who regretted getting the 5.0TA because of their hitch location.

GREAT INFORMATION!

Thank You!!
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2022
Rear of bed to rear rail distance?

Thanks for the great information. Would you mind measuring the distance from the rear edge of the truck bed (not the tailgate) to the back of the rear rail sometime? I have a different truck and I think that would be a more useful measurement for me than from cab to center of rails. (This is how the installation instructions for the Reese rails tell you where to place the rear rail with the custom brackets).

Thanks!
lojoma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2022
Never mind, I found this info in another of your posts. Thanks.
lojoma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I never have to lower and raise the tailgate to hitch my 5.0TA, even if approaching at an angle. This is my solution. Saddle toolbox is in front of standard hitch position (slightly in front of axle), 6.5-foot bed.
Attached Thumbnails
05DEAFE6-6AB4-432B-8FE4-0B4D90F7207B.jpg