Needs help deciding - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Needs help deciding

Hi everyone.
I camped in many countries, but now retired, I will camp in the US. In a trailer. That is new to me and my spouse. We are considering buying a 19' pulled by what? That is the big question. We live in Colorado, and we have icy snowy winter. Our eyes are on Toyota, either a Tundra 4x4 or an FJ. What's your input? Thanks,

Paulo in Loveland

I would have liked a Land Rover 110 with its turbo diesel engine, but they are not available in the US . Darn!
64paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #2

I Tow a 19 with a V6 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box mileage on hills is about 9 MPG and you need to shift to 4 to maintain road speed. It doesn't bother me to mosey along but it might if I lived in a very hilly area. Wear and tear on a vehicle that could tow it vs a vehicle that should tow it is really where your choices lay. Cpaharley can answer about towing a 19 with an FJ over the hills. If I had my druthers I would take a Hilux :} Diesel oh wait they do not allow them in this country yet !!

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Towed our 19' with an FJ for about 7500 km last year, much of it up and down mountain passes. We use a Weight Distribution Hitch, which really helps to improve the ride in the FJ while towing. My assessment is that the 19' and the FJ are well suited for each other. I think the 19' is at about the limit of the FJ for mountain towing. If I was to ever upsize to a 21', the FJ would be fine towing in non-mountainous conditions, but for steep mountain grades, it might be preferable to upsize the tow vehicle somewhat.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
We tow our 2013 Escape 19 with a 2012 Tundra, regular cab, RWD, long bed, 5.8L V8 with the towing package (work truck model no frills). Our son lives in Lafayette, CO and our daughter lives in Seattle, WA. Last September we traveled west through CO and up to WA, down to Moab, UT and up and over to Custer State Park, SD and then home to N. Indiana with multiple stops along the way. We towed using the towing mode and the transmission stayed in overdrive for most of the trip. Overall we averaged 15 mpg driving around 55 mph. We did not use a WDH
hitch or sway control. The trailer was stable in 40 mph + crosswinds. We use a extra long ball adapter (3/4" rise)so we can lower the tail gate. We did not buy this truck specifically for towing the Escape 19 but it works very well.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We have now spent 105 comfortable nights, in all kinds of weather, in our 19.
The (not turbo) Ford Flex AWD has pulled the trailer back and forth over the continental divide numerous times. Total distance in excess of 14000kM
Our last trip was through the 8 western states.
Total distance 7910kM or 4915 miles.
Total fuel burnt 283 gal CDN or 340 gal USA or 1287 Liters
Average speed 55-60 miles per hour
Towing more than 95% of the time
Fuel consumption works out to 16.27L/100kM or 14.45 miles per US Gal or 17.3 miles per CDN Gal.
Weight of the trailer during the trip was about 3500 pounds. Car was lightly loaded with only two people on board.
We use a standard WDH. Handling was perfect.
Only the steepest hills slowed us down and only because I did not want to exceed 3600 RPM.
We had one day of severe head winds.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: N/A
Thanks for the info, every one. It will help us make a decision. Paulo & Donna
64paulo is offline   Reply With Quote