New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
rotfl. "At Ford, Quality is First!" or some such corporate doublespeak.
At Ford , Quality is Job #1
As true today as it was back then !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I do! Maybe not so much on this forum, but spend any time at all on a Ford or Chevy or Ram forum and watch the non-stop, back-and-forth bashing. Though much is mean-spirited, some posts are really creative and down-right funny!
Yes, but we aren't on a Chevy or Ford or Ram truck forum. It was opined that some are called "losers" here because of their truck choice. Not so, at least from me.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
"You" have the right to determine which truck I want/buy.... when you make the payments. ROFL.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"You" have the right to determine which truck I want/buy.... when you make the payments. ROFL.
Absolutely. Whatever you drive, you're the only one that has to be happy with it.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
so far considering how opinionated we all are about our trucks everyone has been very nice! like I am with my friends who would never buy a Ford but have begrudging accepted that i like Ford trucks. They have bigger trucks of varies brands very nice trucks -but not what i wanted. yes drive what makes you happy and we can all learn from each other.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I really don't know where you get that Brian. [emoji38]I'd never disparage someone or call them names based on their choice of truck...
Robert, as others have realized it was a observation about common behaviour, not about you.

Sometimes it's subtle; for instance, saying that a particular choice of vehicle is a "no-brainer" certainly implies that anyone making a different choice to suit their own needs is brainless. If any vehicle choice were truly a "no-brainer" there would be only one brand and model of vehicle for each type of application, and that's certainly not true... fortunately!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had one of those small 4 cyl diesels in my Jeep Liberty CRD, thought it was a v-4 but it was a straight 4, it was a nice set up up other than the expensive oil changes. No DEF was used.
That would have been 2005 or 2006, when a 2.8 L VM Motori turbo diesel was offered. It was discontinued because that engine did not have the type of emission control systems which are now used, including selective catalytic reduction which uses DEF, so it could not meet the more demanding emissions standards of 2007. No one used DEF before the changing rules made it necessary.

Standards were tightened again in 2010, and now no diesel can meet them without EGR, DPF, and SCR. Volkswagen said they could do it without SCR, but that was a multi-billion-dollar fraud.

The same R 428 DOHC VM Motori engine evolved to become the A 428 DOHC; GM's version of that is the diesel engine which is available in the Colorado and Canyon (now with suitable emission control systems, of course). A six-cylinder (and higher-revving) version of this engine would make sense as the new Silverado engine, but I have not heard what engine is actually used.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Robert, as others have realized it was a observation about common behaviour, not about you.

Sometimes it's subtle; for instance, saying that a particular choice of vehicle is a "no-brainer" certainly implies that anyone making a different choice to suit their own needs is brainless. If any vehicle choice were truly a "no-brainer" there would be only one brand and model of vehicle for each type of application, and that's certainly not true... fortunately!
Brian, I totally agree it is a common behavior. However, and I don’t mean to be critical because in some cases you are undoubtedly correct, but what someone may see as subtle implication may simply be innocent expression of personal preference. Anytime I have ever used the expression “no-brainer,” I have used it in the context that a given decision was a no-brainer FOR ME and me alone. Until now, I wouldn’t have even thought to expand the phrase to “for me, it was a no-brained.” I believe it is all in one’s perception. Another common behavior is to assume we know exactly what someone else is thinking when they write something. Face to face verbal communication lends itself to immediate clarification of intended meaning, written communication does not. If it did, we wouldn’t need high courts to determine the meaning of language written into Constitutions. I admit that I’ve seen sniping here, but not to a huge degree nor an everyday occurrence. I will also admit that I have been guilty of misinterpreting other member’s posts. But I do think we all need to be careful to be respectful of other members statements and not read “evil intent” into what may simple have been a harmless statement incorrectly perceived. Doing so can promote an “attack dog” mentality that only creates a potential for angry escalation.

That being said, I have found much of the discussion in this thread perplexing, because from my point of view, I research purchase whatever vehicle I want and I really don’t give a rat’s hiney if someone else doesn’t agree with my choice, not do I care if what I drive is the biggest seller, the second biggest seller, or the least seller. Perhaps someone can explain to me why this matters.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Personally I find this forum very informative and more than a little entertaining. I view it just like I view the rest of the internet, I try to separate fact from opinion. Personally before I put down a big chunk of my hard earned money I do a lot of research. In general when I come up with a “no brainer” I’ve been pretty happy with it. I think forums like this are great places to share that. I try to express only info from actual experience that’s relivent to the product. Because I owned a Ranger in 94 doesn’t help anyone looking to buy a 2018 Ranger. If I’m looking to tow a 5000 lb trailer I don’t research a lot of vehicles capable of towing 3 or 4 times that. Doesn’t mean that won’t be exactly what some one else wants. I could not be happier with my 5.0 TA and my F150 EcoBoost. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in my opinion, based on fact and actual experience ,not perception. If you’re not stop reading my posts, really no hard feelings. I have never put down any other brand of either trailer or tow, although it seems , for some, a strong recommendation of 1 product puts down another.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Regarding modern diesel longevity, it CAN be true if they don't undergo catastrophic destruction usually due to High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure sending metal into the engine, which unfortunately was a problem with a lot of engines that used Bosch fuel pumps of a certain vintage and design.

The various emissions equipment pieces like SCR injectors, DEF tank heaters, and DPF (filter and sometimes housing) usually fail first, along with turbos, requiring expensive repairs. The rest of the engine is more reliable because there is no ignition system to fail, and they run at a lower RPM than gas engines, resulting in less wear from friction.

I have 2 main reasons to buy diesel :

#1 is they are more fuel efficient and vehicles offered with a gas or diesel option always have the same fuel tank size even when the gas engine uses more fuel. That results in a much better range in the diesel. Range is important to me.

#2 is the way it drives due to torque. My diesel truck rarely shifts going up hills and is happy just cruising along in the top gear most of the time. This has benefits towing of course, because the engine won't be screaming at 5,000 rpm towing up hills.

Longevity isn't one of my reasons, because I suspect that it will take a lot of maintenance to get to high miles and modern gas engines will easily get to as many miles as I would ever want to drive a vehicle for with less maintenance.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Regarding modern diesel longevity, it CAN be true if they don't undergo catastrophic destruction usually due to High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure sending metal into the engine, which unfortunately was a problem with a lot of engines that used Bosch fuel pumps of a certain vintage and design.

The various emissions equipment pieces like SCR injectors, DEF tank heaters, and DPF (filter and sometimes housing) usually fail first, along with turbos, requiring expensive repairs. The rest of the engine is more reliable because there is no ignition system to fail, and they run at a lower RPM than gas engines, resulting in less wear from friction.

#1 is they are more fuel efficient and vehicles offered with a gas or diesel option always have the same fuel tank size even when the gas engine uses more fuel. That results in a much better range in the diesel. Range is important to me.

#2 is the way it drives due to torque. My diesel truck rarely shifts going up hills and is happy just cruising along in the top gear most of the time. This has benefits towing of course, because the engine won't be screaming at 5,000 rpm towing up hills.

Longevity isn't one of my reasons, because I suspect that it will take a lot of maintenance to get to high miles and modern gas engines will easily get to as many miles as I would ever want to drive a vehicle for with less maintenance.
my personal experience with diesels is pretty outdated I guess. The ones I drove in the Marine Corps had plenty of torque but had a very limited power band. If I remember correctly redline was about 4000 or less. Had to do a lot of shifting to keep it in the torque range 3 gears to get to 30 mph.
Getting back to today my little 2.7 ecoboost rarley exceeds 3000 rpm (it can easily run up to 5000 rpms if you put you foot in it} towing my 5.0 TA thru the hills of Vermont, New Hampshire and New york. Thats with cruise set at 60 mph which it maintains with little effort.
As far as economy the numbers don't look as good when you factor in the higher cost of diesel as well as additives and the premium you pay for the motor up front.
That being said I can't wait to test drive a F150 diesel as well as a Colorado. Might change my perspective but I'm reserving judgment till I actually try them.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
we put about 500,000 miles on one vehicle, our 1987 Volvo 240. 4 cyl 2.3L cast iron block, simple EFI, very robust. vehicle had one transmission rebuild, about 5 alternators, 2 radiators, a few water pumps.... original head gasket. somewhere around 200K miles the air conditioning went out and was never worth fixing. The car was STILL running well *and* looked decent on the outside when we scrapped it, but the interior was getting wet in rainy weather and where my daughter lives (last driver of said car), it rains a LOT, this water in turn was causing all sorts of electrical gremlins as well as turning the inside of the car into a biology experiment.

Sept. 2013, daughter leaving for college in said car.
I had my 3 Volvos. My wife got so fed up with failed visits to service it we had to switch to Hondas and Toyotas. We had 145/245s and curiously all 3 Swedish bricks had odometers that stopped at 600,000 miles. Wonder how much money they saved shaving off 3 digits the leftmost position.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I had my 3 Volvos. My wife got so fed up with failed visits to service it we had to switch to Hondas and Toyotas. We had 145/245s and curiously all 3 Swedish bricks had odometers that stopped at 600,000 miles. Wonder how much money they saved shaving off 3 digits the leftmost position.
Sounds like the cure was worse than the disease ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Oh, man you reminded me of my SAAB stories! After returning to Japanese cars my hands hardly ever get greasy
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Oh, man you reminded me of my SAAB stories! After returning to Japanese cars my hands hardly ever get greasy
Yeah, the radiators were on the firewall and the bonnet (hood) opened backwards. SAAB may have been better at making airplanes. I remember a friend in high school had a 2 stroke SAAB with a separate tank for the oil (no pre-mix). I think it may have been a 3 cylinder engine. Later on their turboed engines were a mechanic's dream/nightmare.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi: Rossue... Had two WoeWoe's in my life. My first one and my last one. '59 544. They might have lasted 11 years in Sweden... but not in Canada!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #57

Quote:
The rest of the engine is more reliable because there is no ignition system to fail, and they run at a lower RPM than gas engines, resulting in less wear from friction.
Decades ago, that would have been a valid factor... if not for the high cost and complexity of diesel injection pumps. In this century, ignition systems have no moving parts and even the plugs last a couple hundred thousand kilometres.

Our old Triumph required regular points adjustments and other tweaking. My 1984 Toyota went 353,000 kilometres with no ignition work (not even an adjustment) other than annual spark plug changes. Our 2004 van only a bit over 200,000 km on it so far, so all it has had was a single plug change... the only one it will need in its life.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #58

Quote:
High power at low speeds (which means high torque) is good, especially for towing. Diesels have lower torque at the same speed than a typical gasoline engine with the same operating speed range. Since diesels run poorly at high speeds they are generally optimized for low engine speed (with some exceptions), but more importantly all diesels for road use are now turbocharged. Diesels handle turbo boost well, and it is that turbo boost that provides that lower-speed torque, as any Ford EcoBoost owner has experienced.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #59

GMC Sierra shown - with composite box and step tailgate

Although the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra are the same truck, this time around the GMC "trim" has some unique features...
The 2019 GMC Sierra Has a Carbon-Fiber Box and a Wacky Two-Piece Tailgate
Here's What You Can Do With GMC's Tailgate-Within-a-Tailgate
Old 03-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that looks very interesting and could help those with clearance issues with the trailer jack...