New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

For those still interested in diesel engines for their tow vehicles, news from the lead-up to the 2018 Detroit Auto Show:
The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Gets an I6 Diesel and 450 Lbs of Weight Savings
I was surprised by this, as I did not see any of the usual widespread rumours and "spy" info. More detail will follow, but this will complete the selection of 3.0 litre six-cylinder diesel engines in the full-sized pickups of the former Big Three automakers. This one is an inline, rather than vee, engine.

There's lots of information about the rest of the truck, and much of it is likely to trigger spirited discussion, but only the diesel engine looked particularly surprising and/or newsworthy to me.

Logically all of this will all apply to the GMC Sierra as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

The official General Motors release:
Introducing the All-New 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good for them. Another option and another choice. That's always good.

Just a general observation however - not trying to start a fight: I've seen quite a bit of effort from truck makers ever since I started paying attention to it decades ago. Much of it, in my personal opinion, can be summarized as following the leader - trying to knock the F150 off it's perch. If Ford stayed static that might work, but they're not sitting on their laurels. Good luck guys, you'll need it.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've seen quite a bit of effort from truck makers ever since I started paying attention to it decades ago. Much of it, in my personal opinion, can be summarized as following the leader - trying to knock the F150 off it's perch.
GM developed a diesel for their light pickups (the 4.5 Duramax) a decade ago, before economic conditions scrubbed a lot of projects. They've decided to put this new engine (which is a new design, not the 4.5) in production for 2019 with a new generation of the truck; that's one model year (and likely less than one calendar year) after Ford's comparable engine introduction, which means that the new GM engine project was approved several years ago, and the design was complete before the first F-150 diesel prototype as reported. No one is following anyone here; two major competitors in the market are doing similar things, which is not surprising.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't mean following the leader by copying them. I mean it in the sense of being a step behind. There's a reason the F150 has been on top for over 4 decades. Chevy is also going to have to figure out a way to introduce their aluminum body without embarassment, although their redesigned 2019 body and shedding of a few hundred pounds does buy them some time.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't mean following the leader by copying them. I mean it in the sense of being a step behind
I don't think bringing out the a similar feature in the same year is "a step behind".

Quote:
Chevy is also going to have to figure out a way to introduce their aluminum body without embarassment, although their redesigned 2019 body and shedding of a few hundred pounds does buy them some time.
A lot of us thought the same thing when the ads about tearing aluminum pickup boxes came out - it seemed like short-sighted marketing. I think GM's 2019 body makes sense, using aluminum where it makes most sense... all of the "swinging parts", as one article described it (hood, doors, tailgate). Eventually they may want to change the box interior, but they can alway do composite again instead of aluminum.

And this is where we see the "spirited discussion" of features other than the most notable - the surprise diesel.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought the straight 6 and 8 diesel motors were more robust, like the big rigs. The V-4 and v-6 were made to fit the smaller space in the smaller trucks. The one nice thing they mention in the article is a 10 speed auto and I assume most diesels have a more robust alternator and charging system thus more power available for the trailer.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think bringing out the a similar feature in the same year is "a step behind".

A lot of us thought the same thing when the ads about tearing aluminum pickup boxes came out - it seemed like short-sighted marketing. I think GM's 2019 body makes sense, using aluminum where it makes most sense... all of the "swinging parts", as one article described it (hood, doors, tailgate). Eventually they may want to change the box interior, but they can alway do composite again instead of aluminum.

And this is where we see the "spirited discussion" of features other than the most notable - the surprise diesel.
Seems like with a composite bed you're left wondering if a 5th wheel hitch will hold. The buyer of our 19' Scamp girded his Toyota up with an extra steel plate, and it looked fine to us. But all things being equal....
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought the straight 6 and 8 diesel motors were more robust, like the big rigs. The V-4 and v-6 were made to fit the smaller space in the smaller trucks. The one nice thing they mention in the article is a 10 speed auto and I assume most diesels have a more robust alternator and charging system thus more power available for the trailer.
And if it is the same 10 speed transmission they are putting in the Camaro, it’s development was a joint venture with Ford. Ford chose to put it in the F150 to increase fuel economy, GM chose to introduce it in the Camaro, but I have no idea why. I believe the older 6-speed in the F150 was also a joint effort of Ford and GM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
According to the E-Mail I received , Ram Is upgrading their 1/2 ton truck . Stronger frame , better payload capacity , more aluminum body parts some small interior upgrades , safety upgrades , slight increase in fuel economy with more information to come .
It seems non of the Big 3 are sitting on their hands.

I own a Ram , but the Ford , GMC and Ram all have appeal for me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Looked at all the big 3....

Always glad to see another diesel offering, longevity and efficiency with nary a downshift! Although I'm not sure that applies to a 10 speed, probably at least three of those speeds are overdrives.....And it amazes me that even in a 3/4T truck, you can't buy a manual transmission these days. I believe Ram still offers one, but they are alone. Another thing, it seems if you want a light (beige?!) interior, you are out of luck in any of the big 3 in a 1/2T and up. The closest thing to a light colored interior is a dull brown, other than that it's dark grey or black....and they get hot here in TX!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
According to the E-Mail I received , Ram Is upgrading their 1/2 ton truck . Stronger frame , better payload capacity , more aluminum body parts some small interior upgrades , safety upgrades , slight increase in fuel economy with more information to come .
It seems non of the Big 3 are sitting on their hands.

I own a Ram , but the Ford , GMC and Ram all have appeal for me.
I own a Ford, would have considered a GM, but the Ram was off the table for me, but only because I have owned three Chrysler vehicles and every one of them was a POS. The first was a 1971 Challenger, the second was an Omni, and the third, a Caravan. The Omni and the Caravan were primarily driven by my wife. The Omni was absolutely the worst vehicle I have ever owned, bar none including a Fiat that I can say nothing good about. Perhaps Ram trucks are OK, maybe even good, but I am “gun shy” because of my previous experiences with Chrysler. After those three, I vowed I would never own another Chrysler product.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
On the flip side Carl, I am on my second Dodge product ever, and I am in the process of replacing a light switch. The only thing above and beyond normal maintenance spent in 7 years ownership combined. Not saying I am typical, just maybe the industry has moved on from the bad old days.

The more competition the better in the diesel market. I assume the 3l size is a regulation compliance displacement?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If I am going to spend the money to buy a diesel truck then I will buy a 3/4 or one ton truck with a real diesel engine , a Cummins diesel.
The assumption that this new class of small diesel engines will turn
500,000 miles without a hitch , may not be based in reality.
YMMV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The assumption that this new class of small diesel engines will turn 500,000 miles without a hitch , may not be based in reality.
YMMV
Depends. I've traveled all over the world, and have seen numerous small diesel trucks - particularly in South America and the Middle East. They're known for their durability, which I guess is more important in some countries because of the lack of infrastructure and easy to find parts. Of course, trucks sold in North America are alot more complicated - but the engine isn't really all that different.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
On the flip side Carl, I am on my second Dodge product ever, and I am in the process of replacing a light switch. The only thing above and beyond normal maintenance spent in 7 years ownership combined. Not saying I am typical, just maybe the industry has moved on from the bad old days.
I fully understand those thoughts, but if you had owned three Fords and all three were horrible, would you be inclined to purchase another one even if their quality was purported to have vastly improved if you had also owned several Chevrolets and none of them had been lemons. Chrysler left a bad taste in my mouth that is still there. It took three of them to get me to this point. On the other hand, it only took one Scamp, another product which I would never own another. Bad experiences have that effect on me. Sort of like I don’t want to have another rotator cuff surgery........
Old 01-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Depends. I've traveled all over the world, and have seen numerous small diesel trucks - particularly in South America and the Middle East. They're known for their durability, which I guess is more important in some countries because of the lack of infrastructure and easy to find parts. Of course, trucks sold in North America are alot more complicated - but the engine isn't really all that different.
the diesel fuel injection on modern clean diesel motors is WAY more complex than the vintage mechanical injector pumps used in the 80s/90s and likely still used in much of the 3rd world.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the diesel fuel injection on modern clean diesel motors is WAY more complex than the vintage mechanical injector pumps used in the 80s/90s and likely still used in much of the 3rd world.
Yes, but we aren't talking 80's or 90's. They have modern engines. For example, the Rangers sold in South America today have a number of engine choices, including the 2.2 L diesel Duratorq TDCi Puma, in either manual or automatic, and the larger 3.2 L diesel Duratorq TDCi Puma, also in manual or automatic. These engines have a modern injection system, similar to diesels in the US. Of course, it often comes down to the difference in emissions standards.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Well, whatever you buy for your next tow vehicle, you now have to keep location tracking in mind:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5671ab2445f
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #20

For those concerned with who might be chasing whom, I'll note that in 2017 GM outsold Ford in the full-size pickup truck category, by 94,112 to 89,385. These two manufacturers are essentially tied in the market.

(from Pickup Truck Sales Breakdown: December 2017)