New RAV4 for 2018 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
New RAV4 for 2018

Just received my copy of Club Toyota magazine and for 2018 Toyota will be selling RAV4 Trail in Canada ( may be Adventure nameplate in US ). It has 3,500 lb tow capacity and Trailer Sway Control. Tow prep package includes upgraded radiator and supplemental engine oil and transmission fluid coolers.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Adventure model looks to be a great fit for a smaller trailer. Has all the things you look for in a tow. I still think it's marginal for a 2nd Generation 17B, depending on how it's equipped. Those could come close to or exceed 3500 lbs when loaded.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

Have to admit, I'd likely move up to a Highlander if I were purchasing.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm waiting for a real world report on towing with the new Rav4 Adventure. But I like what I've seen so far. Just wish it was a V6.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Why the Highlander?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Why the Highlander?
Just a guess, but probably the extra 1500 lbs of towing capacity.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Why the Highlander?
Could be Pilot, or Highlander.
I'm very happy with my Toyota for all the usual reasons, quality, service, resale.
But, I'd look at the Pilot, even if it is huge compared to my RAV4.
4Runner, Tacoma, etc would have to have an escalator optional before my wife would consider it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm waiting for a real world report on towing with the new Rav4 Adventure. But I like what I've seen so far. Just wish it was a V6.
I'd also ask where the full-size spare is.
And, magazine article says all new RAV4s have a 2.5 liter four-cylinder engine.
My RAV4 V6 has a 3.5 liter engine.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Having towed a 17B many, many miles with a V6 RAV4, I don't think I'd be interested in doing the same with a 4 banger, no matter what the tow ratings. Now, that V6 made the RAV4 a tiger! I was not impressed with the same engine in a Highlander...
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Pipe dream: a smaller, quality SUV, with a Ford 2.7L EcoBoost V6 engine.....
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The 2018 rav4 sounds like a good commuter vehicle as well as a good tow vehicle for a Scamp 13 or other small , lightweight trailer .
The Highlander may be more appropriate for an Escape 17A.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Glenn, planning to trade in your 17B for a Scamp 13 anytime soon?

Accurate tag lines are very appreciated.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd also ask where the full-size spare is.
And, magazine article says all new RAV4s have a 2.5 liter four-cylinder engine.
My RAV4 V6 has a 3.5 liter engine.
That's why I'm skeptical that it would be any better than my Forester. But I'd like to see a review. What I'd really like, which has been rumored but not announced, is a 5 passenger, smaller Honda Pilot.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
That's why I'm skeptical that it would be any better than my Forester. But I'd like to see a review. What I'd really like, which has been rumored but not announced, is a 5 passenger, smaller Honda Pilot.
It would be bizarre for Honda to reduce the overall size of the Pilot, for four reasons:
  • The current Pilot is relatively new (first model year 2016) so any major change will be at least a couple more years.
  • The Pilot is the largest Honda-branded SUV, so if they made it smaller they would need an additional model above it.
  • The CR-V is smaller than a Pilot, so a smaller Pilot would squeeze into CR-V territory, which is already sandwiched between the even smaller HR-V and the Pilot.
  • Car models very rarely get smaller; the normal pattern is to make them bigger with every generation, and fill in under them with new models. The CR-V grew, the Pilot grew as well, and eventually the HR-V was introduced at a size similar to the original CR-V; at Toyota, the RAV4 grew and grew and got just as big as the original Highlander, and the Highlander grew as well to stay above the RAV4, and eventually the C-HR was introduced at a size similar to the original RAV4. That's a more normal pattern.
Since this vehicle has become relatively large, it is plausible that Honda will do two lengths at the next update of the Pilot - a 5-passenger short-wheelbase and a 7-passenger long-wheelbase. The short version would be just as tall, just as wide, and almost as heavy, but with less interior space and inferior towing stability. Having two lengths has been relatively common in SUVs; GM currently does this, and other companies have in the past.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

Honda Aims To Squeeze Another SUV Between CR-V And Pilot In 2018

https://www.thetorquereport.com/hond...er-pilot-2018/

Who knows? Automakers do come out with things that don't make a lot of sense, like a 4 cylinder Rav4 with higher towing capacity.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Could be Pilot, or Highlander.
I'm very happy with my Toyota for all the usual reasons, quality, service, resale.
But, I'd look at the Pilot, even if it is huge compared to my RAV4.
4Runner, Tacoma, etc would have to have an escalator optional before my wife would consider it.
Here is the escalator option for your wife. They make these for the Tacoma and I know CAP-IT sells and installs them. Kind of expensive but pretty cool. They drop lower than a standard running board and extend out further, actually making them useful, versus something that just puts dirt on your pants as you try to exit the vehicle.
Quality AMP Research Powerstep & Truck Running Boards | AMP Research
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Towed my 17b long distances with a 6cyl RAV 4 it was working pretty hard, we always had to be measuring weight etc., - lots of trips to CAT scales the wheelbase was too short in my opinion but everyone has a certain level of comfort. Others think they're great- I kept it a year then changed to a longer wheel base. I'm surprised a 4cylinder could manage it - maybe the wheelbase is longer. I wouldn't consider it. This is just my opinion and comfort level. The highlander or pilot would be great.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The second article contains this:
Quote:
The new short-wheelbase Honda Pilot will enter production in fall 2018 at Honda’s Lincoln, Alabama plant. The move will give Honda another model to capitalize on the ever growing demand for crossovers in the U.S. Hyundai already offers two versions of the Santa Fe...
... which is what I was suggesting. To see how this short- and long-wheelbase scheme can work, have a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (short) and XL (long).

Both articles suggest production starting in a year, and at this close to production there are normally car-spotter photos of pre-production units being tested, so a truly separate model seems unlikely.

Quote:
Automakers do come out with things that don't make a lot of sense, like a 4 cylinder Rav4 with higher towing capacity.
I don't know why a 4 cylinder Rav4 with higher towing capacity doesn't make sense. This vehicle - with the 2.5 L 4-cylinder - has about the same engine power as a typical full-sized North American car or pickup truck of the 1970's (such as my parents' Chevy), when no one would have questioned the ability of these vehicles to tow two or three tons of trailer. Even if you don't want to max out a 3500 pound towing capacity (even though that works for some Escape owners with the same chassis), it's certainly suitable for more than the 1500 pounds that it is rated for without the towing package. Even the hybrid is rated for 1750 pounds, so there's clearly room for more than 1500 pounds of trailer with the regular 2.5 L.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't know why a 4 cylinder Rav4 with higher towing capacity doesn't make sense. This vehicle - with the 2.5 L 4-cylinder - has about the same engine power as a typical full-sized North American car or pickup truck of the 1970's ...when no one would have questioned the ability of these vehicles to tow two or three tons of trailer.
Thank you Brian. I have been thinking of posting something similar for a long time... and then I forget. Comes with being old enough to well remember those vehicles and the days when folks just knew you would be slowing down climbing mountain passes - so we just enjoyed the scenery on the way up. My almost 300HP Highlander, pulling my 21, can climb mountain passes far more easily than my VW Beetle, my Volvo 122s or my Ford Econoline unloaded ever could.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #20

I actually do just fine pulling my 15A with a 4 cylinder Subaru Forester (manual) but that 200 lb tongue weight limitation is annoying. So I'm not writing off the Rav 4 Adventure- just want to make sure it really can do the job. Someone will test one for towing soon enough.