New SUV tow vehicle for 21ft? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The diesel Durango is the Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 L turbodiesel - you have to give up the longer wheelbase to get the diesel.
I know, but it seems strange that you can get it in their 1/2 ton, as well as the Cherokee, but not in the Durango. That would be a much better engine for towing with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
thanks, Have a great trip
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #23
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Wow, already page 3 in half a day...thanks for the responses!
I forgot to mention I picked these 3, besides resale and reliability, because they are or will most likely be IIHS top safety picks. After accident free driving and, IMO, being a 99.9 percentile good-skilled driver on the road for close to 25 years, I realized it is near impossible to avoid dumb idiots from rear-ending you when stopped at a red light as what happened last year. Driving a safer vehicle around with my baby is a must for us.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #24
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
For what ever it is worth, we tow our 2014 Escape 21 with a 2014 Toyota Highlander, and have no complaints about the towing performance. We have close to 20,000 towing miles on the car, and so far so good. I have always been able to go as fast as I feel comfortable going up hill, and always had no problems going down hill. Almost all of this travel has been west of the Mississippi, and much of it has been in the mountains. The hardest towing has been going across various plains states into big (40-50 mph) head/side winds. But maybe I just think that is the case because no matter what you have to pay a lot of attention when you have a big wind. On long trips the dashboard says we average about 14.5 mpg, but that usually includes some driving without the trailer, and I don't keep exact numbers.

But the 2017 models will be heavier than our 2014 trailer is. I don't know how much heavier, but you should probably think about that. I haven't weighed our trailer, but I did look at the discussion of what other 21s weigh, and given the numbers there decided that a 5000 lb towing capacity would provide me with a reasonable margin of safety.

Also, I think a lot of towing discussions come down to personal preference. We really didn't want a truck, we wanted something that drives more like a car. We wanted a Toyota because we have had very good luck with Toyotas over the past 40 years. We tend to drive 60-65 on the freeway, about 55-60 on the two lane roads. We choose the higher fuel economy and lower price of the Highlander over the greater capacity of the Sequoia. We liked the Lexus GX460, but didn't like the requirement for premium gas, and the side hinges on the rear door. We preferred the interior of the Highlander to the 4Runner. We choose the 2wd drive version of the Highlander because it was less expensive and got better mileage. If I had to do it over again, I wokuld get the AWD drive version, but only because it would probably work a bit better on winter roads. If I recall correctly, the Highlander red lines at something around 6000 rpm, but peak power is just below 5000 rpm. I don't have any problems going up steep hills with the engine revving 4500-5000 rpm. Lindy says it sounds strange. That is all the stuff that runs through my head when I think about tow vehicle decisions.

That is my $.02 worth, but only you can make the decision that is right for you.
Not sure about Toyotas.. But to get 5000lb tow capacity in American Hondas/Acuras, I must opt for AWD. Didn't know Highlander can do that with 2WD.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #25
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
We tow a 15 foot (soon to be a 2017 19") with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with a 6200# towing capacity.

For a 21" I would chose the Jeep Grand Cheroke V8 with 7200# capacity.

The 8 speed transmission is an important advantage over the 6 speed transmissions when towing

The auto leveling rear suspension and trailer sway control feature is also valuable
Is the reasoning for 8 or 9 speed so that trans doesn't have to hunt for an ideal gear as much?
Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #26
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think like so many discussions here it all comes down to personal preferences. Speaking only for myself, there is a world of difference in ride comfort, especially for long distances, between the 2008 Tacoma we traded in and the 2016 Highlander we now have. But, I still greatly prefer the driving feel of a lower center of gravity sedan over an SUV, and an even lower CG sports car over a sedan. Best of all was the fast go-kart I had as a kid!

As the Wise Donna says YMMV.
Highlander > Tacoma right? Cause I was thinking Tacoma or Ridgeline too...
Old 06-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Although the 2017 Acura MDX is just coming out, it is only a "facelift", or minor revision. This is the same underlying vehicle of the same generation as the 2014 and later MDX, and the 2016 Honda Pilot, other than the addition of a hybrid option.

If you are interested in a hybrid, both Toyota and now Honda (Acura) now offer this, but at least the Highlander Hybrid has lower (and insufficient for a 21') towing capacity compared to the regular version.

The change in the Highlander for 2017 has also been described as a facelift of the 2013 design, but has a powertrain change which may be significant.Experience with the 2013-2016 Highlander would still be relevant regarding the body and chassis (suspension), and the engine change is a refinement rather than a completely different engine. By the way, the new version is the same engine as used in the 2016 Tacoma.

I agree that these are good features. The 2017 Highlander also has an 8-speed transmission, and the current Pilot and MDX have a 9-speed.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are essentially identical other than styling and wheelbase - they are mechanically the same. The Durango's unusually long wheelbase seems like an advantage to me, although the rear overhang may a little long as well.
Great info.
I was reading there was some software problems with the 9-speed Pilot transmissions because they are outsourced vs Honda made. Not sure if the new MDX will have the same transmission
Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Is the reasoning for 8 or 9 speed so that trans doesn't have to hunt for an ideal gear as much?
Yes - it's a matter of matching engine speed to the requirements of current conditions. Vehicles "hunt" because they essentially can't decide between a gear which is too high (not enough power available) and too low (excessive engine speed for economy). Having more gears means that there is usually a better gear available than with fewer gears, but there is also the risk that the software will still not be able to decide.

Quote:
I was reading there was some software problems with the 9-speed Pilot transmissions because they are outsourced vs Honda made. Not sure if the new MDX will have the same transmission
The 9-speed is the 9HP designed and built by ZF, but I don't think that being from someone other than Honda is the reason for programming challenges. These transmissions are complex and inherently difficult to control ideally, so each manufacturer using them has had some problems; fortunately, they seem to get them worked out. A couple of the design features used to pack gearing capable of nine different ratios in the short length available in a transverse transaxle make smooth shifting between the upper gears particularly challenging.

The Pilot and MDX are built on the same platform and use the same transmission (other than the hybrid), which is also used by Fiat Chrysler and by Land Rover. ZF a worldwide leading transmission manufacturer, and also builds the 8-speed 8HP used in some of the other vehicles mentioned (Durango and Grand Cherokee).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
If I ever find my gently used 15, I will be towing it with a 2015 Tacoma. If I was towing a 21 and wanted a SUV, my preference would be either the Toyota Highlander or the 4Runner - probably the 4Runner. All of the vehicles mentioned in this thread appear to be great vehicles.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Highlander > Tacoma right? Cause I was thinking Tacoma or Ridgeline too...
I can only speak for Mary and I, but we both find the Highlander very much more comfortable to travel in for long distances. Ours was the now replaced 2008 generation, but the suspension on rear of the Highlander seems much stronger than it did on that year Tacoma. When I was considering a new Tacoma or HIghlander, I was surprised in reading manuals that the Highlander has a bit more cargo weight capacity than the Tacoma. But the Tacoma has significantly more Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating.

We also considered 4Runners, but felt that the Highlander had a more comfortable road suspension. I think I would want a 4Runner or Tacoma Off Road model if I planned to do a lot of back country towing.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Quote:

We also considered 4Runners, but felt that the Highlander had a more comfortable road suspension. I think I would want a 4Runner or Tacoma Off Road model if I planned to do a lot of back country towing.
Totally agree, the Highlander is a great riding vehicle - very comfortable. I believe that the 4Runner is still build on a standard frame and has the same towing capacity as the Highlander. The 4Runner is rear-wheel drive with 4WD as an option. I haven't looked at a 4Runner in many years, so the spec have probably changed.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
When we needed a new tow vehicle, the 4Runner towing capacity was only 4700 lbs. Now it is 5000.

I believe that any 2014+ Highlander XLE or Limited has a 5000 lb towing capacity, even if only front wheel drive.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
I can only speak for Mary and I, but we both find the Highlander very much more comfortable to travel in for long distances. Ours was the now replaced 2008 generation, but the suspension on rear of the Highlander seems much stronger than it did on that year Tacoma. When I was considering a new Tacoma or HIghlander, I was surprised in reading manuals that the Highlander has a bit more cargo weight capacity than the Tacoma. But the Tacoma has significantly more Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating.

Not to steal this post. But you seem to be a Toyota guy, what is your option of a 2016 Tundra with the 4.6 as a tow vehicle for the 21?
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I read an interesting article ( at least I found it interesting) from the RVIA concerning the new 2017 - 2025 US CAFE standards for cars and light duty trucks. The RVIA is greatly concerned that many cars and light trucks will have their towing capacity greatly reduced in order too comply with the fuel standards. They also pointed out that vehicles capable of towing may have their production levels lowered to maintain the fleet average. The RVIA is woried that their industry may suffer a decline in sales. Many other industries such as construction also are concerned . It was hinted that it may come to the point that if you wish to tow heavy loads ( heavy loads was not defined ) you will need to have a full size heavy duty truck.
This may be bad news for the large RV market but may be good news for the FG trailer manufacturers. Maybe we are ahead of the curve.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Not to steal this post. But you seem to be a Toyota guy, what is your option of a 2016 Tundra with the 4.6 as a tow vehicle for the 21?
Jake, in my opinion a Tundra pickup for towing a 21 would be an excellent choice. You would have plenty of power and capacity.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
We're happy with our choice of the Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) Limited with 3 l Turbo Diesel. We agree with what Jim Bennett and Brian B-P have said: lack of a diesel engine was the main reason for rejecting the Durango, we occasionally would have liked having its third row seat.

We also got full off-road capability in the Jeep, but may never use it. I argued that cost of the armoring under the chassis was a lot cheaper than fixing the damage from road debris – although we've never destroyed anything but one tire from road debris. The air suspension allows us to lower the JGC for more easy entry, if needed as we age.

The Limited was the lowest trim version that allowed us to get the electronic safety items, like blind-spot alarm and adaptive cruise control. The JGC handles well, and is comfortable on long road trips.

The diesel has plenty of torque and power for towing our 21'. It has given us good mileage while towing, we've averaged 17.4 mpg over 4700 miles, the average trip computer claim was 18.6 mpg over the same distance, so it appears to be 6-7% overly optimistic.

I have had a few nightmares about putting gasoline into the diesel , hopefully that is a senior moment I will be able to avoid.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
If you are considering a Tundra I would read this discussion on the 4.6L vs 5.7L.

4.6L V8 or 5.7L...advice, please! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
I believe that the 4Runner is still build on a standard frame and has the same towing capacity as the Highlander. The 4Runner is rear-wheel drive with 4WD as an option. I haven't looked at a 4Runner in many years, so the spec have probably changed.
Yes, the 4Runner has a separate body and frame. The frame and chassis (suspension, etc) are basically shared with the Land Cruiser Prado (J150) and the Lexus GX, but the Lexus (in North America) gets a 4.6 L V8 engine. Yes, the 4Runner is RWD in base form, and is optionally available with a couple of different 4WD systems. The 4Runner has evolved over the years, but has continued the same general format.

The Highlander has an independent rear suspension, while the 4Runner and related vehicles have a beam axle with coil springs and control arms in the rear. The Highlander and related vehicles (Camry, Venza, Sienna) have a strut-type front suspension (as is conventional for unibody vehicles) while the 4Runner et al have double A-arms in the front (as is conventional for body-on-frame vehicles). The Highlander's engine is mounted transversely while the 4Runner is longitudinal, which means they use different transmissions to fit the configuration; it also means that the 2WD Highlander drives the front wheels, while the 2WD 4Runner drives the rear wheels. The end result is that the two vehicles are very similar in size and overall configuration, but different in every detail of design. They could share the engine, and do have engines from the same family, but don't have the same variant of that family.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
If you are considering a Tundra I would read this discussion on the 4.6L vs 5.7L.

4.6L V8 or 5.7L...advice, please! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
already have the Tundra with the 4.6. Was just asking for opinions.
You got to remember that most of the guys on the Tundra forum are young and B---s to the wall guys, power-speed good!. I'm old and riddled with arthritis. Slow is the way it goes.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #40

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Buy a pick up and you're on call for every time a relative moves or a friend needs to haul to the dump.
And that's one of the reasons why I like to have a truck!