New Tire Options for a 2004 17B - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAM View Post
I just talked to ETI and they are currently using Carlisle Tires on all their trailers.
Interesting - Carlisle has several possible models, but the only one in the size/type spec used by Escape is the Radial Trail RH (a relatively recent replacement for their previous Radial Trail). It comes in the 2004 17' size (ST205/75R14), the current 17' size (ST205/75R15), and the larger size used on the 5.0 TA (ST225/75R15)... among others.

If Carlisle's line is "Reace Approved", then another choice for the Escape 17' owner would be the ST235/60R15 Ultra Sport Radial, the only low-profile 14" or 15" ST tire that I've seen. I also considered these for my trailer (before deciding that I didn't want ST); they are compatible in height, but room for the width would need to be checked (although they are only 10 mm wider than the current ETI spec). The wider tire would add drag, but they should provide better lateral stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
If ETI uses Carlisle tires on their new trailers then those are the ones I'd recommend.
When there are many comparable products, the one chosen routinely has as much to do with price or convenience of supply as quality. I would take ETI using Carlisle as an indication that Carlisle quality is likely suitable, not as an endorsement of them as the optimal or best-quality choice; I doubt Goodyear Marathon tires are no longer suitable, but one could ask Reace.

For Canadian residents, I note that the trailer tires in these sizes sold by Princess Auto (mounted on a steel wheel) are Carlisle Radial Trail RH; only the ST205/75R14 size appears to be currently offered. Princess Auto routinely puts these common sizes on sale at a substantial reduction, but you are buying new wheels to get the tires (because Princess Auto doesn't do tire mounting and thus usually sell as mounted sets).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Good work!
Carlisle tires it is!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Shopping tires was starting to remind me of doing the build sheet. Started out by looking at using LT(light truck) tires instead of the ST tires made for trailers.
Was intrigued with this idea even more when I saw that Oliver was going to the Michelin LTX MS/2 for their 2016 trailer, switching from an LT BF Goodrich. Airstream also offers this apparently.

The catch there is that they are using a 235/85R16, which is a big tire. Those trailers weigh a lot more too. In the end, after talking with probably every tire dealer around I've decided to stick with ST tires. Question is which brand.

The question why not stick with ETI's choice came up generically in online reviews and it is a fact that all RV manufacturers are under great pressure to keep costs down, so going with what any OEM uses isn't necessarily the best choice for replacement. Are Carlisle's junk? No, I don't think so and almost bought four new ones yesterday. A large chain had the Load Range D (8-ply) in stock for $507 total. Standard Load Range for Escape trailers are C and don't really need more, and the D needs to be inflated to 65 psi, vs. 50 psi for C.

After some more research and a little hammering on the chain store, I ordered four Maxxis M8008 tires. A set of four is $511 total for the load C (6-ply).

After a year of towing over 20,000 miles, I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the Carlisles, however the Maxxis tires seem to be higher rated in reviews, and am hoping to get a little better tread life.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was intrigued with this idea even more when I saw that Oliver was going to the Michelin LTX MS/2 for their 2016 trailer, switching from an LT BF Goodrich.
The BFGs were Commercial T/A... which are actually LT tires, not commercial type.

Quote:
The catch there is that they are using a 235/85R16, which is a big tire. Those trailers weigh a lot more too.
Years ago, ST tires didn't come this big, but the biggest RV trailers needed something about this size, which may be why there are a few LT tires intended specifically for (or at least including) trailer service. The smallest BFGoodrich Commercial T/A is LT225/75R16, which might still be an inch too tall for an Escape; the Michelin LTX M/S 2 comes in a P235/75R15, which is a little shorter but fatter... and is a P-metric tire in an Extra Load (XL) range. There are other commercial and LT tires in more suitable sizes.

Quote:
Standard Load Range for Escape trailers are C and don't really need more, and the D needs to be inflated to 65 psi, vs. 50 psi for C.
I agree that Load Range D is not needed. If a tire has that load range, it needs 65 psi to reach its maximum capacity... but if you only inflate it to 50 psi, it has the same load capacity as a Load Range C tire of the same size at 50 psi. There is no need to run any tire at its maximum allowable inflation pressure unless you need the maximum capacity of that tire.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This thread on tires moves me to relate my recent experience with tow vehicle wheel lug locks. And, another topic on my mind, memory loss. Of course, I don’t have locks on my trailer tires, (I mean wheels) but my new truck came with lug locks and a key. The dealer charge for a wheel locks option is $129. Seemed practical. Kept the key in the truck because you can’t change a flat without it.

I wonder if wheel locks are worth using to protect trailer tires. Probably not. Used my key just once, to remove a tire that developed a slow leak, needed plugging. Soon after that I happened to take truck to my dealer for a routine oil change and rotate tires.

After 60+ years with cars and their tires this whole lug lock thing is something new. Not something I bother to keep alert about, either, just like smart phones, or learning the buttons on the remote, or the cloud, doing facebook, etc. In the total scheme of things, all a very low priority. But, cannot ignore the fact is I do not have the memory I used to have. My people tell me that is not at all unusual. I suspect the usual dire consequences any senior trailer owner with short term memory loss might fear.

A month after my dealer rotated my tires; I was buying all new tires at Costco. Couldn’t do the new tire install. They couldn’t find my wheel lock key. I looked everywhere, finally went back to my truck dealer, asked dealer to remove my wheel locks for me. Being suspicious, I also asked the service manager how they do that if they don’t have my key. Oh, we have a universal key, said the service manager. They used it, were nice enough to give me 4 standard lugs free, and I paid $20 for labor.

This lost wheel lock key thing does bother me. Where did my key go? How long has it been missing? What If I had needed to change a tire when towing someplace? The interesting thing is for some reason, when I was in my back yard removing that slow leak tire, I actually now have no memory of even using my lug key to get it off the truck. Totally off my radar screen. I obviously could not have done it without using my key. Is this my short term memory loss getting longer? The only time I even thought about needing the wheel lock key was when the Costco guy brought it up.

Well, of course I always kept that wheel key stored together with my owner’s manual, in a yellow pouch, on the truck door. A practical move. It is a bulky thing, roughly the size of a roll of 14 quarters. When I took the truck in for that routine dealer maintenance I also never thought to hand them my wheel key. It just never occurred to me.

What I think happened is the dealer service mechanic who rotated my tires found my key in the truck and used it to move around my tires. But then, I think I never got it back because he absent mindedly left my key on his tool bench.

Now, why do I think that’s what happened? Is this me making excuses for my blasted memory failings, forgetting to properly store that key?

When I went back to my dealer to get them to remove my wheel lug locks with their “universal” key, guess what happened… I paid my 20 bucks, was about to drive away when… I suddenly realized they did not give me back my lug locks. They were still on the mechanics’ bench.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
LOL Welcome to my world, Myron
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
LOL Welcome to my world, Myron
And mine as well.
Regarding the keys, I had extra sets of all keys (trailer, padlocks, pin and coupler locks, etc.) made, so we each have a set, extra sets are stashed in vehicles and at home.

P.S. great meeting you, Pat, and Gonzo, at the NOG. I would have mentioned it earlier but had to wait until it became long-term memory, so I could remember.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #48

We had original-equipment "locking" nuts on our van, and keeping track of the key was always an irritation. One time I had to change tires and realized later that I didn't know where the key was; I looked, but unfortunately I had done the work on a gravel driveway, so I could have been looking right at it and not seen it. The next time I needed brake work done at a dealership, they removed the locking nuts and replaced them with plain nuts at no charge... and gave me the locking nuts in case I ever found the key.

If you have time to wait for delivery, and the foresight to register your wheel locks, the locking nut manufacturer can typically provide a replacement key - certainly McGard does this.

With my latest car, when I bought it used I noticed that it had locking nuts and had the dealership replace them with plain nuts as part of the pre-sale preparation (they also removed the dealership advertising logo from the hatch). I'll never need to deal with these stupid things on this vehicle.

I do understand the appeal of making expensive wheels harder to steal, but outside of some crime-ridden slum, I've never heard of wheels being stolen from a vehicle. I'm sure it happens, but I don't see it. Given the ease with which mechanics remove the locking nuts without the key, I'm sure that a determined thief would only be slowed down somewhat.

I think the logic regarding wheel security is the same for a trailer as for a car, except that the trailer is parked and not in use most of the time. Depending on where it is parked, there might be a concern, but I don't know if I would ever use locking nuts.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Regarding the keys, I had extra sets of all keys (trailer, padlocks, pin and coupler locks, etc.) made, so we each have a set, extra sets are stashed in vehicles and at home.

P.S. great meeting you, Pat, and Gonzo, at the NOG. I would have mentioned it earlier but had to wait until it became long-term memory, so I could remember.
I've done the same. Now if only I could remember where I hid them

Don, Gonzo th' Dawg and I enjoyed meeting both you and Teresa too.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b, tires