New to towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
My point is, in an F150 the 2.7 Ecoboost is rated to tow 7,600 pounds. The same engine and transmission in a Bronco is rated to tow 3,500 pounds. So something, not power, is limiting the Bronco by a lot.

In my mind I would expect GCVWR to be much more tied to cooling capacity (coolant, transmission, charge air cooler) or stability (probably the Bronco's problem)

I'd bet 90% of the world reads the marketing literature "tows 5000 pounds" and then the "dry weight" of their trailer and if the dry weight is below the marketing limit they are G2G.
?
🤔 I’m one of those towing with an F150, 2.7 Ecoboost and can verify it hauls my 5.0TA beautifully. I’m guessing here that on the Bronco it’s more likely the wheelbase, vehicle weight and perhaps overall gearing that’s limiting the tow capacity.
When looking for a truck it seemed to me 90% of the salesmen where no better informed. Have to take responsibility for your own purchases.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
With my old 2004 f150 triton v8 I had no issues towing. However going over vail pass, my speed would not exceed 50. I tow a 2017 21. Of course that was 30 minutes of a 5 week out west tour. I just got in the slow lane and put up with it. A turbo would have helped for sure. Still my old truck is paid for . I’d rather spend my money on traveling
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
With my old 2004 f150 triton v8 I had no issues towing. However going over vail pass, my speed would not exceed 50. I tow a 2017 21. Of course that was 30 minutes of a 5 week out west tour. I just got in the slow lane and put up with it. A turbo would have helped for sure. Still my old truck is paid for . I’d rather spend my money on traveling
Exactly the trade-off I'm looking forward to with my low-miles 2005 F150 Triton V8 + 5.0 combination .... lots of travelling fun, maybe occasionally in the slow-lane, no worries!
Old 11-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Hello Norm_in_BC.
I also own a Honda Ridgeline and tow an Escape. The Honda is an 06 and the Escape is a 2013 21’. I understand the concern about towing with a Ridgeline with all the negative press about it’s towing abilities and it not being a real truck. All I can give you is my experience.

We’ve towed using the Ridgeline since purchase, first with a 17’ Casita and since October 2013 with a 21’ Escape. I’ve always been concerned about towing, but I would be that way even with a full size truck, it’s just me. I’ve weighed everything multiple times. By that I mean I weigh the truck separately, the trailer un-itched, and everything I put in both along with everything connected. I’ve measured tongue weight using a Sherline scale (after running certification tests on the Sherline scale). I’ve done all this because of working in a Boeing calibration lab for so many years it’s ingrained.
I’ve also called Honda directly asking about the paragraph suggesting not using a weight distribution hitch. I thought maybe it had to do with the all-wheel-drive system Honda uses. Sorry to tell you that they provided no more information. I talked to a hitch instillation business about physical construction limits using Honda’s unit-body construction method. They didn’t know of any issues. In fact they told me that the frame used in the Ridgeline was larger than many of the half ton vans on the road at that time.

I’ve towed the Escape with and without a WDH with no issues. Since I already had a WDH and FEEL more secure with it, that’s how I tow today. When people find out they really need sway control it could too late. I use an Anderson WDH. With Honda’s warning in mind I called Anderson asking how much weight I needed on the ball to attain sway control. Answer, 50#. I’m within ALL weight limits (GVWR, GAWR front and rear, Tongue weight, GCVWR, carrying capacity etc) and with the low center of gravity and wide track (as compared to other mid-sized trucks) I feel very stable.

Another issue to address is the 2% reduction in towing capacity for every 1,000’ of elevation. Taking this into consideration, I’m over weight when going over many mountains we’ve crossed. Since nothing on the truck changes with elevation it must have to do environment. Since a naturally aspirated engine adjusting for lower air density losses power it will select a lower gear to try and maintain speed. It’s up to the driver at that point as to how high they are willing to run the RPMs to maintain speed. I read where so many think that a Honda towing will be going slow in the far right lane in all climbing situations. It’s just not true. I haven’t had an issue maintaining speed on any pass or mountain we’ve traveled over. While I can’t tell you the transmission temp, I can tell you that the engine temp didn’t budge. TFL Truck found out how good the Ridgeline is with towing in their towing tests over their test area in Colorado (over 11,000’)

With higher RPMs required over mountain passes and towing near it’s limit I had concerns about longevity. This truck has never been in the shop for an unscheduled repair. It now has over 153,000 miles on it and it’s still a pleasure to drive.

I have friends who traded in their mid-sized vehicles for full-sized for the confidence a full-size provides while towing. I understand that urge because I’ve had it myself. But for me the ability to park in my garage, (along with most parking spaces here in Seattle) the reliability, and the joy of driving this Ridgeline 100% of the timer keeps me in this mid-sized PU.
A 17’ Escape, if loaded properly, should be no issue for your Ridgeline. Hope this helps.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
No sway in our day!!!

Hi: TAfraser... We used a 2010 4L V6 Nissan Fronty Quad cab for over 8 yrs to tow both our 5.0 & 5.0TA. We now use a 3L V6 Ram EcoDiesel Quad cab. No sway in our days and I have a bumper sticker that says "I go where I'm towed to"...
Way anchor for NFLD. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
20190707_124126.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: TAfraser... We used a 2010 4L V6 Nissan Fronty Quad cab for over 8 yrs to tow both our 5.0 & 5.0TA. We now use a 3L V6 Ram EcoDiesel Quad cab. No sway in our days and I have a bumper sticker that says "I go where I'm towed to"...
Way anchor for NFLD. Alf
Hi Alf, Nice to hear from you.
I haven’t contributed here for quite a while. Talking here is such a treat after being locked up for so long. It’s sad seeing the Escape just sitting there asking to be taken out.
Anyway, I remember you Nissan setup. Wasn’t your Nissan/Escape setup pictured in an article about Escape trailers? Trailer Life? You were even pictured in a yearly calendar? Must be nice to be famous!
In keeping with this thread, a friend of ours traded their mid-size Toyota for a full-size RAM to tow a 21’ Escape. Theirs was fully loaded, including air-ride and that diesel. One thing he didn’t notice until after the sale was the carrying capacity of the truck. With all the equipment, and maybe because of the air-ride, his load limit was around 1,000 lbs. Fortunately it didn’t affect him, but it shows that verifying all the specs is a good idea prior to purchase. As it is, he has a truck he loves driving, with confidence, and arrives at his destination more relaxed.
Keep Trailering, Tom
PS: Just love your comments. Keeps me smiling.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re: payload rating for the vehicle itself, I would take it with whatever basic stuff you always carry in it (tools? emergency jacket or blanket? tonneau cover on the bed?) and visit a scale and weight it, with you and your copilot in it, then subtract that from the GVWR on the rating plate in the door jam, and thats your effective additional payload, INCLUDING trailer tongue weight and hitch bar.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
huh, I had a 2001 E150 van with the Triton 5.4L V8, that thing could pull stumps and haul a 4000 lb trailer while heavily loaded with 7 passengers and gear at 70 up and over the Sierra Nevada all day long. It was a total gas guzzler if driven hard like that, though. Its brakes were kinda crummy, heavy tendency to pulsing after a few hard stops.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: TAfraser... Yea, that was us. The Fronty actually had more carry cap. due to the equip. The Ram has the ride though!!! I found a 2yr. old Ram with what I wanted and more important... what I didn't. No Ram boxes or air ride due to the 5th. hitch install. The interior is where we spend the most time on a trip and the new 2 us tug is a luxe cruiser. The older I get the better behind the wheel ride I want!!!
Here's the original of the Trailer Life photo and some Ram shots. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030712.jpg   P1040899.jpg   P1040902.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
No problem with any other towing. I suspect the elevation was the culprit. I usually get 12 mpg towing.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #31
Site Team

another consideration for high elevations, the air is thinner, so your radiator is less effective at cooling the engine... this can become a big problem much above around 8000 feet... OTOH, its rarely very hot that high up, at least in the Sierra and Cascades on the left coast.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm_in_BC View Post
My wife and I will take ownership of a new 17B trailer sometime in the beginning of March. This will be our first trailer. Other than pulling a small utility trailer, I have zero experience towing a trailer and I’m a bit nervous about the whole thing.
My tow vehicle for now will be a 2009 Honda Ridgeline, which I believe is rated at 5000 lbs. My questions: Should i get a WDH? Should I get sway bars? Both?
Thank you in advance for the help. norm
Receiving a new 17 B is an exciting thing to look forward to in March!

I had no experience towing a trailer also. Now I'm pretty comfortable with it all.

We have a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD and 17 B. I've towed it on the highway with and without a WD SC hitch.

With the WD SC hitch my Pilot is now level (was 1/2" nose up prior to install) and I experience little to no sway even when passing or being passed on the highway by tractor trailers, buses and RVs. It's been my experience towing is more predictable and stable with a WD SC hitch. I feel safer and am happy to have it.

I'm using Fastway E2:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...2-00-0600.html
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
My personal opinion is that you can get away without a WDH if you have a way bigger truck than needed for the trailer you are towing. You are not in that category if you ask me.

The prior owners of my 17B towed with a Ridgeline and used a WDH without sway control.
Agree!

The previous owner of my 17 B had a Ford F 150 and didn't have a WD SC hitch. I remember him telling me he didn't notice the trailer behind him at highway speeds... nice and stable, no sway at all. He advised me I needed WD SC with a Honda Pilot and he was spot on.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote