New to towing and picking up our 17A today - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
New to towing and picking up our 17A today

We're super excited to be picking up our new-to-us 17A today. I've never towed anything before, so I'm trying to prepare as best as I can. We are borrowing a generous friend's 4Runner temporarily to get the trailer home--a distance of about 12 miles. My newbie questions (did a quick search and didn't see anything similar):

1) Friend's car has a 4-pin trailer wiring, so I will need to get an adapter to make it a round 7-pin wiring, correct? Any recs on specific adapters to be used temporarily?

2) The top of the hitch receiver is 18.5 hitches from the ground, and the ball on there is about 20.5 inches from the ground. Specs on Escape's website says the ball height is 18" when loaded. Do I need to get a ball mount drop?

Any thing else I need to tow the trailer home? Any tips or advice? Videos you'd recommend watching?

Thank you!!!
nerak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
For 12 miles ball should be okay. So will the adapter but remember you will not have brakes. (Brakes on your car, not on the trailer) so be cautious. You need true 7 pin for brakes.

Don't park where you have to back up to get it out. Going forward is easy. Once you get your car wired right go practice in a big parking lot (closed) to learn to back.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Thank you, Bobbie! I will be going slowly, for sure. Will the lights on the trailer work -- do I just plug them into the 4-pin? We have a trailer parts store nearby, so I'm debating running in to get the 7-pin adapter.

Glad to know the ball will work for now until we get our tow vehicle outfitted and ready. There's a shortage on CURT hitch receivers around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
For 12 miles ball should be okay. So will the adapter but remember you will not have brakes. (Brakes on your car, not on the trailer) so be cautious. You need true 7 pin for brakes.

Don't park where you have to back up to get it out. Going forward is easy. Once you get your car wired right go practice in a big parking lot (closed) to learn to back.
nerak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
You'll need the adapter to make the lights work. Without it you can't plug in at all, and yes, you need the lights working.

Does UHaul have hitches near you? They do a good job with installing the receiver and wiring seems to be good although I only ever had them do 4-way.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Usually folks go from 7 pin on the tow vehicle to 4 pin on the trailer, not 4 pin on tow vehicle to 7 pin on trailer so make sure you are clear on that at the parts store.

Make wide turns so the trailer doesn’t hit the curb. Plan on how you will get out of a situation before you get into it, like how to get in and out of a parking lot.

When I back up I put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go. Small steering wheel inputs are usually better than large ones. There are posts with other guidance you could review. Use a spotter when in doubt.

You may need mirror extensions to see behind and the sides of the trailer.

Pay attention to overhead hazards like gas station awnings and tree limbs.

Down shift on hills and don’t use brakes to maintain speed.

Down shift on the highway if the owners manual suggests it, I usually drop out of overdrive most of the time and put it back into overdrive on down hills if I don’t need to control over speeding. I’d read the towing section of your friends vehicle.

If you must drink, don’t park; accidents cause people.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote