New truck for our new trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
Here are two reasons NOT to consider the GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax Diesel engined truck (or the Chevy equivalent):
1) the 2.8L Duramax Diesel will become an orphan after the 2021 model year as it will no longer be available in North America. GMC sold the asian plant where the 2.8L is manufactured.
2) two labs and one shepherd in a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado?? Really? I have a 2020 Chevy Colorado and one 75 pound female shepherd and she absolutely hates the Chevy but finds my 2019 Ford F150 crewcab just right!

Salmo7000 already mentioned this, but the demise of the 2.8 diesel has been prematurely declared. In any case, what matter that? It's not like my old GM 3800 engine quit when GM stopped making them.

Point 2 is a bigger one, and not just because the dogs will be cramped in the back of the GM mid-sized. The Colorado / Canyon will both see most of their GVWR taken up by the pin and hitch weight of an Escape 5.0.

You CAN tow an Escape 5.0 with a Colorado/Canyon, but this is a setup for 1-2 people and a modest amount of stuff. When I hear about three big dogs also being in the truck, I suspect I'm hearing about a setup that will go over the GVWR of the mid-size pickups.

5th wheels put a lot of weight on the truck rather than behind the truck.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
Here are two reasons NOT to consider the GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax Diesel engined truck (or the Chevy equivalent):
1) the 2.8L Duramax Diesel will become an orphan after the 2021 model year as it will no longer be available in North America. GMC sold the asian plant where the 2.8L is manufactured.
2) ...
There are lots of vehicles sold which are the only user of a specific engine, and lots of vehicles on the road with engines that are no longer produced. GM has contracted to continue to buy the Duramax 2.8 after the factory is sold, and although it will eventually move to a different engine (whether that is in a year or several years) it will support this engine with parts for at least another decade after that and service indefinitely.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 1810 Tent
This group helped me a lot on my new truck purchase, bought for our wait listed 5.0 TA purchase. I was towing a Casita with a Ford Cargo van. Traded the van for a RAM 1500 Laramie. I was initially looking at a V6 thinking about gas savings. However the feedback recieved was go diesel or the 5.7 V8 with the 5.0 trailer for piece of mind doing grades out west & do a V6 which was more suited to coastal flats or other areas without steeper grades.
That said, seems looking at our plans came first. We have 2 kids out west in the mountains so did the 5.7 Hemi. Would have considered the diesel but every hard to find unless you build it. Have the truck now. I understand the good advice recieved here & I am grateful. Love this truck & the Hemi. It gets better milage unhooked than my Wrangler & the Cargo van. I'm told its a great fit with the 5.0 trailer so trust it will be just that when pickup time comes.
JohnBFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA
We tow our 5.0 with a Ford F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. Crew cab, 4wd, and Max tow package.
billserna67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
finally got the truck

Well today we finally got the truck for our new Escape 5

After much debate we chose a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado Eco Diesel 1500 High Country crew cab. Lots of room in the rear for the dogs, heated seats for me, and a super 15 view back up camera for the driver. Now for the escape 5. Apparently ours in now bumped forward to December 2021

Thanks so much to all that contributed to this thread to help us figure out our wheel needs
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Congratulations! But don’t be calling that Duramax an Eco Diesel !! Here’s what she’ll look like hooked up with an Andersen hitch!
Attached Thumbnails
5F68AC17-99EE-4CFF-9FA1-BD88F772F459.jpeg  
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
But don’t be calling that Duramax an Eco Diesel !!
LOL
True, each company has a trade name for their diesels, and applies that same name to various diesel engines that they sell, even if they don't make it themselves, and even to unrelated engines.
  • All Ford diesels are "Powerstroke"
  • All Fiat Chrysler diesels in North America are "EcoDiesel", except the one from Cummins (a more marketable name)
  • All GM diesels are "Duramax"

I think it's amusing that both the 3.0 L EcoDiesel and the 2.8 L Duramax were designed by VM Motori.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's also amusing that the worst vehicle I ever owned was a Fiat.
Italian manufacturer VM Motori S.p.A. has designed and built several different diesel engines for many third-party applications. Fiat is the actual owner, and sells projects to automotive manufacturers like GM, Jeep, and other companies. VM Motori offers different range of engines depending on the applications: automotive, industrial, marine, and power generation.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have really high expectations when it comes to reliability so I have a Tundra. It's hard on gas but in the long run, cheaper than all the repairs I keep hearing about. Whats a pair of turbos cost to replace?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I have really high expectations when it comes to reliability so I have a Tundra. It's hard on gas but in the long run, cheaper than all the repairs I keep hearing about. Whats a pair of turbos cost to replace?
Couldn’t tell you. Haven’t had to replace on on either of my previous F-150s. And if I did, I suspect the fuel savings would have covered much if not all of the cost, especially if I had to consider gasoline prices in Canada.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #51

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Italian manufacturer VM Motori S.p.A. has designed and built several different diesel engines for many third-party applications. Fiat is the actual owner, and sells projects to automotive manufacturers like GM, Jeep, and other companies. VM Motori offers different range of engines depending on the applications: automotive, industrial, marine, and power generation.

VM was owned by Roger Penske / Detroit Diesel back in the late 1990's. At the time I worked for DDC and was involved on a project using the engine. It was a strange engine owing to its pedigree.

The 1990's VM 2.5 used in the Chrysler minivans had pot heads, wet liners, tunnel crank. Very much an oddball.

The engine I worked on had the pot heads swapped out for an aluminum slab, plus the Bosch standard common rail.

In late 2000, Daimler bought DDC and VM eventually stuck with Penske. Somewhere in there, Roger must have sold them to Fiat. Makes senses anyway, they had a revolving door on engineers between Fiat and VM. That's the last dealings I had with VM (nice town they are in, Cento Italy.)

The current GM 2.8 diesel bears a strong resemblence to the old engine, but shares nothing. The tunnel crank is gone, the wet liners are gone, the FIS is from Denso. I'm not sure who, between VM and GM, did all the redesign. But there isn't a lot left of the old engine aside from perhaps bore spacing.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
You will know next year when Tundra grows a pair.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When I was in high school, a friend had a Fiat 600. A couple of things I remember about it - Changing a front tire by one of us holding it up by the fender, working on the engine sitting in my lap, and that another friend's motorcycle had a bigger engine.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
You will know next year when Tundra grows a pair.
Hi: HarleyD... It certainly won't be a plumb!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #55

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think it's amusing that both the 3.0 L EcoDiesel and the 2.8 L Duramax were designed by VM Motori.
The 3.0 L Duramax Diesel (LM2) in Silverados and Sierras also has an Italian heritage.

https://europe.autonews.com/article/...start-in-turin
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #56

TFord that is purdy! Ours is the same white
Old 02-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #57

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
We have the 5.0 coming in September this year, and we're buying a new Tundra 2021 with a V8 should handle it fine.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
VM was owned by Roger Penske / Detroit Diesel back in the late 1990's.
In late 2000, Daimler bought DDC and VM eventually stuck with Penske. Somewhere in there, Roger must have sold them to Fiat.
You just missed the period from 2007 to 2011 when GM owned 50%... and the current Colorado/Canyon 2.8 L diesel engine (for which the GM order code is "LWN") was selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
The current GM 2.8 diesel bears a strong resemblence to the old engine, but shares nothing. The tunnel crank is gone, the wet liners are gone, the FIS is from Denso. I'm not sure who, between VM and GM, did all the redesign. But there isn't a lot left of the old engine aside from perhaps bore spacing.
I don't think the current A 428 DOHC has much similarity to that old 425 OHV, either, whether it is built in Thailand for GM (and given a "Duramax" label and "LWN" code) or Europe for Stallantis (formerly FCA).
Old 03-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #59

Dodge ram diesel

Hi all again

Husband is balking at the 83k sticker on the new Silverado. We found a 2018 Dodge Ram diesel. Surprisingly, the towing capacity for a crew cab, standard box diesel is only 7610 pounds and payload is 1260

This seems to be pushing it am I correct on that?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:54 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Hi all again

Husband is balking at the 83k sticker on the new Silverado. We found a 2018 Dodge Ram diesel. Surprisingly, the towing capacity for a crew cab, standard box diesel is only 7610 pounds and payload is 1260

This seems to be pushing it am I correct on that?
Hi: Northerngirl... Our 2016 Ram Ecodiesel crew cab 5'7" box, payload is just less than 1000#'s due to being equipped to the nines. It has the same tow cap., and is a most capable tug. It really likes to work and was bought as a 2yr. old. It's not a hemi but it does have the tow pkg. and mirrors. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040872.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote