New truck likely now need Andersen hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
New truck likely now need Andersen hitch

Well our new truck is in (2022 F150 Supercab) but not yet home, however I know the payload is 150 lb less than our 2015 so I am thinking of getting the Andersen. I certainly have seen them and have read on the forum about them without closely following since I figured I would keep our great B&W Patriot as long as we owned a 5.0.

Without having to duplicate much of what's been said about them, really what I need is the best way to mount them in the bed of our truck. I believe there are different ways and different Andersen hitches.

Thanks in advance for any advice or links to good posts.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Adrian, as I think you know I've got a '22 F150 Lariat Supercab, 3.5 Ecoboost, 4x4, 6.5ft box with sticker payload of 1848#; I think perhaps similar to your configuration but maybe different trim levels and options. Curious to know what's your payload sticker value?

If things have gone well with your 2015 / Patriot hitch combination and the rated payload difference is only 150# .... I gotta wonder if that's meaningful to prompt a different hitch solution (only you would know what your total loading situation is).

To your Andersen question ....

With the Andersen system you've got two basic choices, rail mount or gooseneck mount. The former is steel, the latter aluminum, but the latter has 'more pieces' so IIRC the weight is essentially the same at ~40#. I happen to have the gooseneck version, as much as anything because the 2005 F150 I used when I got my Escape 5.0 already had a gooseneck hitch installed.

Insofar as the mount affixed to the truck (not offered by Andersen for either type - you'll have to go to a 3rd party for that) I think a rail mount is probably the lightest if you are chasing pounds. My underbed B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck assembly (model GNRK1121 for any 2022 F150 except Lightning) weighs ~80# installed and that's probably typical for any brand underbed gooseneck kit.

A rail mount assembly will almost assuredly be less expensive than an underbed gooseneck assembly, and the installation cost will likely be less, too.

With either you'll need to add another ~15+# for whatever safety-chain arrangement you use (prudence and in most places law requires them with the Andersen unlike with a true 5th wheel hitch such as your Patriot).

There's pros and cons (slightly different total weight, different total cost, bed with or without rails) to each Andersen solution but insofar as actual towing they'll behave identically and the location for either using any reputable 'made for 2022 F150' installation kit will be essentially the same. If you have a bespoke customized rail system installed you might be able to gain an extra few inches of tailgate clearance (IIRC a few folks here have gone that route but I don't have links handy).

I'll not suggest either Andersen solution is "best", nor that any Andersen is better than any particular 5th wheel hitch, IMO that depends on the balance of all of your specific priorities and preferences.

Links:
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/kits/gnrk1121
https://andersenhitches.com/product/...te-connection/
(BTW on the Andersen, unless you have a really big toolbox in the bed the 'standard' of either version (#3200 rail or #3220 gooseneck mount) is what you'll want, not the raised or lowered options)
https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ith-rail-tabs/
https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ns-with-plate/

Hope that helps a bit, congratulations on finally getting your new F150, hope y'all enjoy many happy miles with the new rig!
Old 12-31-2022, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks Alan, I'll PM you with further details of our purchase.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Centex covered everything, but I’ll chime in anyway.

I have an Andersen and like it just fine. But I’d take a fine pencil to your numbers before switching from something you like to something new. There is a lot of comfort and safety in sticking to what works for you.

Congrats on the new truck. Sounds very nice.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:19 PM   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post
Centex covered everything, but I’ll chime in anyway.

I have an Andersen and like it just fine. But I’d take a fine pencil to your numbers before switching from something you like to something new. There is a lot of comfort and safety in sticking to what works for you.

Congrats on the new truck. Sounds very nice.
I didn't find a weight for the Patriot 5th wheel hitch on the B&W website but did find this listing on Amazon claiming a weight of 52# (!). If that's correct and that's the hitch Adrian has I vigorously second the suggestion that there's no weight-related reason to change to an Andersen - the net weight difference between that and a rail mount Andersen+safety chains is minimal indeed.

I do note that Amazon listing claims China as the "Country of origin" for the B&W Patriot. Having received a grand tour of the B&W factory in Humboldt, Kansas this summer when my Turnoverball hitch was being installed there I can assure you that that all genuine B&W hitches are in fact fabricated from scratch at that huge and highly automated Kansas factory. The only thing they 'outsource' is rough castings from a partner foundry also in the US (they do all required final machining and finishing of those rough castings at the Kansas factory)
Old 01-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I didn't find a weight for the Patriot 5th wheel hitch on the B&W website but did find this listing on Amazon claiming a weight of 52# (!). If that's correct and that's the hitch Adrian has I vigorously second the suggestion that there's no weight-related reason to change to an Andersen - the net weight difference between that and a rail mount Andersen+safety chains is minimal indeed.

I do note that Amazon listing claims China as the "Country of origin" for the B&W Patriot. Having received a grand tour of the B&W factory in Humboldt, Kansas this summer when my Turnoverball hitch was being installed there I can assure you that that all genuine B&W hitches are in fact fabricated from scratch at that huge and highly automated Kansas factory. The only thing they 'outsource' is rough castings from a partner foundry also in the US (they do all required final machining and finishing of those rough castings at the Kansas factory)
I cannot believe the B&W weighs only 52lb. as I've lifted mine, without the top piece with locking jaw, just the frame, and it's got to be close to 100lb itself. The top piece is about 30 I'd say so perhaps the total is closer to 120.

I know the B&W was built in KS, the main reason I bought it back in 2014 is that I didn't like the Reese with sliding locking plate and the fact it was Chinese, kinda the same reason I go for USA made Endurance tires now.

I'm not really trusting Amazon these days. We started ordering a lot from them at the beginning of Covid, mind you not nearly as much as Jim Norman , but recent experience has not been good. For example I supposedly returned an item I never received, without getting any explanation why, perhaps if they cannot deliver for same reason they just show returned and credit you.

The more I'm thinking, the less likely I'll be to change hitches. I love the ease of just backing up and having hitch lock automatically when pin inserts in jaw. Now I'll have a power tailgate making things easier still. I just have to figure out how to reduce weight further, i.e. carry minimal stuff in truck and put into rear of trailer.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #7

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I cannot believe the B&W weighs only 52lb. as I've lifted mine, without the top piece with locking jaw, just the frame, and it's got to be close to 100lb itself. The top piece is about 30 I'd say so perhaps the total is closer to 120.
Yeah, since posting above I found mention of ~130# for the Patriot 16k on an eTrailer Q&A page.

Shoulda known better than that Amazon 'too good to be true' number