Newbie 5.0 TA questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Newbie 5.0 TA questions

Some newbie questions about the 5.0 TA with torsion axles:

1. How easy is it to change tow vehicles? Escape will set up the 5.0 TA for a specific truck, but how much height adjustment can be done on the trailer after it leaves the factory? How is that done?

Any truck I'm considering is probably half-ton and 4-wheel drive, but I do see inches of bed height variation between trucks.

2. Avoiding bed rails and having a hitch that weighs less than 50 pounds is appealing. Is the Anderson 3220 the only (or best) option?

Thanks,
Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Pullrite superlight is used? By at least one here. There is a thread somewhere here.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post

1. How easy is it to change tow vehicles? Escape will set up the 5.0 TA for a specific truck, but how much height adjustment can be done on the trailer after it leaves the factory? How is that done?

Any truck I'm considering is probably half-ton and 4-wheel drive, but I do see inches of bed height variation between trucks.
The height change is achieved with a spacer kit (which Escape offers as the "high lift axle" option but is available from Dexter axle suppliers), which adds 2-5/8" to the stock height. There is no readily available way to go higher than that 2-5/8" above stock, or to go any lower than stock.

Adding the spacer (if going up) or removing it (if going down) involves supporting the trailer frame on stands, holding up the axle assembly with a jack, taking out a few bolts - then adding or removing the spacer - and putting a few bolts back in. Nothing exotic, no special tools, no welding or anything like that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #4

Quote:
2. Avoiding bed rails and having a hitch that weighs less than 50 pounds is appealing. Is the Anderson 3220 the only (or best) option?
Depending on the truck (and thus what mounting systems fit), there are a few ways to avoid the common mounting rails, using systems mounted on pads or anchored to a bed-mounted ball socket.

A light hitch is a greater challenge - the Andersen Ultimate system is about it, because anything actually using a pin-and-plate coupling system is heavy. There's also the SuperLite which Bruce mentioned above, but it only anchors to bed rails unless you go for the somewhat complex SuperRail system.
SuperLite - Another 5.0TA hitch alternative
Since this discussion, Andersen has added an alignment funnel to the Ultimate system so that one advantage of the SuperLite is gone.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason why I chose to stick with pull behind Escapes, less hitch issues, particularly when truck shopping.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The height change is achieved with a spacer kit (which Escape offers as the "high lift axle" option but is available from Dexter axle suppliers), which adds 2-5/8" to the stock height. There is no readily available way to go higher than that 2-5/8" above stock, or to go any lower than stock.

This is good information, thanks. Does one of the two heights really allow getting the 5.0 level with just about any truck? I'm coming from a ball hitch where the shanks have 1.25" increments.

Any rules of thumb on what trucks use the kit and what don't? Half-ton vs compact, 4wd vs 2wd, etc.? Seems like most new trucks these days have really high beds. A newer Ford F-150 4x4 bed is high, so I assume it requires the spacer kit? Does the Toyota Tundra 4x4 use the kit?

Is there any pin adjustment for the different bed depths (side height)?

Thanks,
Bill R
Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
ETI will ask you to measure the bed rail height of your truck - bed rails taller than 56" require the high lift axle. Some people with bed rail heights lower than that still elect the high lift axle to allow extra clearance on rough terrain.

I believe there is some vertical adjustment they can do on the kingpin when they set it up for your particular truck, and most fifth wheel hitches have several inches of vertical adjustment range so accommodating different bed heights isn't a problem.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I believe there is some vertical adjustment they can do on the kingpin when they set it up for your particular truck, and most fifth wheel hitches have several inches of vertical adjustment range so accommodating different bed heights isn't a problem.
Thanks, now that you pointed it out, I see the hitch adjustment. For example, the Anderson 3220 has 3 heights 1.125" apart.

Is Escape still using the Lippert 1716 pin box? That appears to have 2 heights.

Looks like between the axle kit, hitch height, and pin box height, it's all adjustable with just bolt changes.

Thanks,
Bill R
Old 05-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:

Thanks,
Bill R
I have a 2012 5.0 single axle that I pulled with a Ranger (46" bed rail height) for 5 years and the trailer was set up by Escape to pull with that truck when I bought it new. Last year I bought a F150 (56" rails), and before I bought it I went in a talked with Reace to make sure it would work. Escape installed a lift kit for me and I now pull it with the F150 and have encountered zero problems with the set up.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use the Anderson to pull my 5.0 with a 4WD 2017 short bed F 150 no issues. I was worried - but had the hitch put in at Tradmasters and sent all my measurements to Escape and Tradmasters.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #11

As others have explained, the hitch and pin box adjustments handle getting the trailer level; the suspension (axle) spacer is just to gain clearance over the box sides if required (or if more body height is desired for another reason).

Yes, all of the recent photos that I have seen show the Lippert 1716 pin box or similar. An Atwood pin box with more adjustment was used for some time, but that was several years ago.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i use the Anderson to pull my 5.0 with a 4WD 2017 short bed F 150 no issues. I was worried - but had the hitch put in at Tradmasters and sent all my measurements to Escape and Tradmasters.
How much clearance do you have on tight turns with that set up? thx!
Team Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
funny we really explored that during my last trip i would say we did very tight maneuvers backing into sites very close to 90 degrees didn't pop the window but it looked close. i watch very carefully when it gets extremely tight it also seems to depend on changes in the levelness of the ground. i popped a window with a horse trailer once i had a longer bed truck but horse trailers tend to stick out more.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote