Newbie Towing Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Newbie Towing Questions

We've got a completion date for our new 19 for August 22nd, plan on picking her up at ETI. I've towed a small boat and the odd moving trailer but that's about it.
Question1 - who tows without a WDH/Reece/Anderson, how essential are these things. If I was going to get one it makes sense to have ETI install it. My TV is the new Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel with tow package, supposed load leveling and anti-sway built in like most SUV's with a tow pack.
Question 2 - Brake Controller, again, how essential are these. I'm totally ignorant on the purpose outside of use in an emergency to control sever sway. Our Jeep does have a plug under the dash and supplied wiring harness, so I assume I can just install myself.
Barry
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Barry,
The brake controller is necessary as it controls your trailer's electric brakes. Not sure of JGC but perhaps the dealer can install one for you. As far as the w/d question, only you can answer that. It depends on your comfort index while towing. The JGC should handle the tongue weight of the 19 with it's air suspension, sway maybe something that may or may not happen, depending on your ability to properly load the trailer. Are you getting the front storage box? One can always shift items to it or under the front dinette. I have towed with and without both the 19 and 21 Escapes.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

Jim, I would have thought without the brake controller, brakes would be applied to the trailer when I brake in the Jeep, thru the 7 pin connection.?
Do you mean that it adjusts the trailers electric brakes?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Brake Controller for Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 | etrailer.com
http://www.etrailer.com/p-3045-P.html
Read the whole page.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 7 pin connector is what allows the brake controller to control the trailer brakes, since they are electric brakes whereas tow vehicle is hydraulic brakes, the 7 pin controls the lights and brakes on your vehicle, the simpler 4 pin connection only controls the lights.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Even though there is a electrical connection between the tow vehicle and the trailer, there is no provision for applying the brakes on the trailer without a controller. The electrical connections on the seven pin Bargman control trailer lights and charging, no application of brakes. The breakaway connection is an exception.

Some of this is due to the variety of trailers that can be towed. The controller needs to be adjustable to trailer weight, you will find some tuning is necessary to get the brakes to work properly.

Some vehicles come with a built in brake controller, you might check to see if yours is one. It does not seem common. If you need to obtain a controller the Prodigy appears to the favorite.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm one of those guys who did not add an Anderson WDH to my 19. Do not want one, have never had problems, issues of any kind towing. Been smooth sailing so far. Of course I have only towed Escape for 7,360 miles. I tow with a '96 Tahoe, 5.7L V-8.
Attached Thumbnails
danger.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Great tow vehicle. Not all WDH's have sway control. We tow a 19' Escape with a regular cab, long bed Tundra with towing package and have not yet needed WDH or sway control. Please post your towing experiences with the JGC diesel after you have towed with it.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

I just ordered the P2 and I'll hold off with the WDH, thanks everyone, another lesson from the Escape University.
I will post my towing experience with the GC Deisel, of course I have no reference point with towing, but milage will be of interest to some I'm sure. As for regular driving, it's really a dream, very strong engine, not noisy at all after it warms up and the new 8 speed tranny is very smooth.
I get 26 around town and 30 on a trip, about 720 miles from a full tank.
I traded in a 2011 GC V8 Hemi (previous model) and it's just a different car, especially the improved handling.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I dont have a 19' but if I did I'd be pullin it with a V8 and thats the tooth.