Nissan Frontier - Comfort in the saddle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Nissan Frontier - Comfort in the saddle

Are you towing with a Nissan Frontier? If so how would you rate the comfort of the truck when hauling your trailer for up to 10 hours in a given day? I’m considering this truck for my TV and figure those who already drive one may be the best to offer their opinion.
Thanks - Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dan,
Is your question pertaining to the Frontier in general towing or the Frontier pulling an Escape 21 specifically?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

I'm not really questioning the Frontier's ability to tow the camper, either 19 or 21, more interested in ride comfort! Want to be able to move when I get out of the saddle.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
Are you towing with a Nissan Frontier? If so how would you rate the comfort of the truck when hauling your trailer for up to 10 hours in a given day? I’m considering this truck for my TV and figure those who already drive one may be the best to offer their opinion.
Thanks - Dan
Hi: 1Oldman... Our 2010 SE. crew cab long bed bought new has almost 100,000 miles on it. Most of that has been towing, first a 5.0 then a 5.0TA Escape. I like a firm seat and truck like ride... not soft and mushy and car like. To that end the Frontier fits the bill!!! I tend to drive less miles per day now and stop to smell the roses more water the horses too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020443.jpg   P1030644.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 17
The loooong awaited Re-design is coming
"
The new Frontier model could share its platform with the Nissan Navara truck that’s sold in Europe and South America. Nissan could also launch the new 2019 Frontier with a Cummins turbo diesel. Nissan brought a prototype Frontier pickup with 2.8-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel engine to a press event last year. This was the same vehicle Nissan brought to the Chicago Auto Show in 2014. The new turbo diesel variant could be pumping out around 200hp and 350 lb. ft of torque.

Nissan has finally confirmed the next-generation (2019) Nissan Frontier is coming, and it will be produced at their Canton, Mississippi plant alongside the Murano, Titan, Titan XD, NV Cargo, and NV Passenger vehicles. Stay tuned."
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #6

Thanks for your thoughts, and yes I like the truck feel. Actually the Nissan is only being considered because I have a lease on my Altima coming to a close in February and if the lease close deal is right I might go that direction. Otherwise I look at at variety of options for both brand and features.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
We towed our previous 19’ with our 2011 Frontier. Seat comfort as one of my few complaints. The back rest was okay but the seat itself had very little support since day 1. While they may have changed since then, pay attention to how firm the saddle is.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Had a 2007 Frontier and put 140K mi. on it, about 80% of the time pulling a trailer of some type. Plenty of power for towing. The truck sets lower to the ground than most trucks, even the 4x4 . Easy to get in and out of. I felt it was like driving a car. My previous vehicle was a 2006 Xterra which rode like a buck board. My Frontier was a long bed and crew cab the ride was quite comfortable.(Longer WB better ride.) I quite often tow 800-900 mi a day. I wish the truck had a larger fuel tank, I had to start searching for gas at about 225 mi. The truck has a good solid feeling ride. One reason for trading the truck was I was planning on getting an E-19 or 21 and I do not like pulling the wider trailers with an narrower truck. The Crew Cab long bed Frontier is the same length as a full size pick up so turning radius and parallel parking is not it's strong point.
Eddie

One other major comfort factor is the bed rail height. You can reach over the bed side and get stuff out the bed. Or easily climb into the truck bed from the rear with out having to get a step ladder. Even the other mid size truck mfg's seem to have raised the bed side height.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I have a 2013 Frontier SL that I tow a 19' with. The seats got uncomfortable after a couple of hours, so I purchased some seat cushions which help a LOT. Cushions do boost the seat height a couple of inches, so I have to adjust for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Looking for 15b
We test drove a Frontier back in 2012 and one of the reasons we didn't buy it was drivers seat comfort. It felt very uncomfortable to me and I have never experienced that in a vehicle before. The salesperson did suggest buying a cushion but I decided to buy a vehicle with a comfortable seat for me instead - Honda Ridgeline.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's quite interesting to hear the things that some folks like were the dislikes of others, and vice versa. I've driven a Frontier a few times, once from northern Utah to southern, and I have to say the driver seat was uncomfortable. As for the height, while some consider it's lower stance a plus, to me that's a minus. I love being up a little higher when towing, mainly for the better visibility.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
I have a 2013 Frontier SL that I tow a 19' with. The seats got uncomfortable after a couple of hours, so I purchased some seat cushions which help a LOT. Cushions do boost the seat height a couple of inches, so I have to adjust for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chuck
Another thing I bought that doesn't work like I hoped. It's quite a bit smaller then the car seat, maybe an inch or 2 part ones crotch as opposed to just shy of the knee. Kind of like sitting on a squishy old time tractor seat. Deb on the other hand, at half my size, thinks it's great.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We tow with a 2014 Frontier and our only complaint is the seat comfort. We’ve been looking for some type of pad to put on the front seats or maybe custom seat change out before we go FT in 3yrs.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We tow with a 2014 Frontier and our only complaint is the seat comfort. We’ve been looking for some type of pad to put on the front seats or maybe custom seat change out before we go FT in 3yrs.
I've got just the thing Greg. Replace that uncomfortable seat with an F150. [emoji23]
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
To be fair I have driven , rode in or towed with a Nissan Frontier
on only a limited number of occasions. The seats are on a par with most low end vehicle . They were ok for short trips (4 hours or less) but I wouldn't attempt an 8 or 10 hour day of driving ---- ( I have arthritis in my hips ) One of the things I particularly did not like , especially when towing was the feel of the brakes. I never felt comfortable when applying the brakes , they just seemed wrong or inadequate. IMHO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We tow with a 2012 Frontier 4x4. I can't say I'm overly happy with it. It's fine. It's a truck and it does the job, but we don't find it particularly comfortable. If I were to lose it in an accident I'd go a different route for a replacement -- either bigger truck with a smoother ride, or maybe go the mid-sized SUV route.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Every time we go for a long drive in the RAV4 my wife laments that it doesn't have the seats we had in the '94 Ford Explorer.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Every time we go for a long drive in the RAV4 my wife laments that it doesn't have the seats we had in the '94 Ford Explorer.
Have your wife sit in a 2017 RAV4. VERY nice seats. Or then again, maybe you shouldn't unless you take your checkbook along. My wife's dream daily commuter would be a Honda CRV with RAV4 seats. But we haven't found that combination on a car lot yet....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
This past year, I flew to Denver, and the airport car rental had a Frontier available, so I rented it just to give it a spin for a few days up and over some 11,000 ft mountain passes (just driving, not towing). I liked everything about it except, of all things, how wide the driver's door flung open. With the door wide open (almost 90 degrees), I couldn't reach the inside door handle from the driver's seat, and I have fairly long arms! I lost track of how many times I got settled into the driver seat then had to step back out to partially close the door so I could reach the handle when I got back in to close the door. But that's all I could really find to complain about. Nice little truck.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Explorer still has comfortable seats, Glenn. Coast to Coast and back in back to back years, and not a butt sprung yet. 6-7 hours in the saddle, day after day. Can’t ask for more!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote