"Old" tow vehicles - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Posts: 179
"Old" tow vehicles

I've just come in from watching the parade of show cars cruise by -- our community hosts a huge Show 'n' Shine every Fathers Day WE (yep, the one Oprah talked about as one of the ten best ways to spend a Fathers Day), and I'm dreaming/drooling.

Begs the question: is it feasible to tow an Escape with something like, say, a '63 Impala or, my favourite one seen tonight, a baby blue with white interior '67 Olds 442 convertible?

Forget all about software in cars, drive-by-wire, turn a console knob to shift gears . . . Go back to REAL cars.

I'm not talking about in parades, I'm talking about as an (almost)every-day driver.

In that era, people routinely pulled what I suspect were much heavier travel trailers. There's a strong temptation to buy said Impala or Olds instead of (well, OK, in addition to!) an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
__________________

__________________
Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,512
Check out CanAm for towing sedans. Would think both of those you mentioned would be just fine. That old '62 Buick Invicta wagon my dad owned woulda done the trick for sure.
__________________

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
....an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
I'm crushed! Boring? Nah. 18 plus feet of Platinum White Metallic Turbocharged leatherbound gorgeousness....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 F150 4x2.jpg (235.3 KB, 20 views)
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,252
I'm nostalgic for those days,
of being broken down on some deserted road.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
I've just come in from watching the parade of show cars cruise by -- our community hosts a huge Show 'n' Shine every Fathers Day WE (yep, the one Oprah talked about as one of the ten best ways to spend a Fathers Day), and I'm dreaming/drooling.

Begs the question: is it feasible to tow an Escape with something like, say, a '63 Impala or, my favourite one seen tonight, a baby blue with white interior '67 Olds 442 convertible?

Forget all about software in cars, drive-by-wire, turn a console knob to shift gears . . . Go back to REAL cars.

I'm not talking about in parades, I'm talking about as an (almost)every-day driver.

In that era, people routinely pulled what I suspect were much heavier travel trailers. There's a strong temptation to buy said Impala or Olds instead of (well, OK, in addition to!) an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
Hi: maurerl... There's a member here who tows a 19'er with a 50's Chevy... sometimes!!! Don't know how dependable a tug it is though.
In St. Thomas there's a fellow tuggin' a 17'er with a late 40's Chev Fleetwood and also an old F150 I think Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
I've just come in from watching the parade of show cars cruise by -- our community hosts a huge Show 'n' Shine every Fathers Day WE (yep, the one Oprah talked about as one of the ten best ways to spend a Fathers Day), and I'm dreaming/drooling.

Begs the question: is it feasible to tow an Escape with something like, say, a '63 Impala or, my favourite one seen tonight, a baby blue with white interior '67 Olds 442 convertible?

Forget all about software in cars, drive-by-wire, turn a console knob to shift gears . . . Go back to REAL cars.

I'm not talking about in parades, I'm talking about as an (almost)every-day driver.

In that era, people routinely pulled what I suspect were much heavier travel trailers. There's a strong temptation to buy said Impala or Olds instead of (well, OK, in addition to!) an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.

About a little over a decade ago I re-discovered Tear Drop Trailers. Was living in N. California taking car of a little family business when I fell hopelessly in love. She was a red 1950 Chevrolet convertible in slightly better condition than I, as in perfect - flawless condition .... but unlike me she was for sale. She could be mine for only $80,000. I walked away with more than just a casual glance over my shoulder..... broken hearted. Now that was a car!

In California, the classic car people like to gather in Supermarket parking lots for weekend shows. To watch over their cars, they like to camp out in Teardrops. Can be quite a sight on both levels.

In general most older cars had poor brakes .... at least by todays standard. Towing would have to be cautious at best and in their day your mates on the freeway allowed you to have a proper following distance.

I understand that lust.
__________________
Consciousness: That confusing time between naps
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,702
Now this is a discussion I like and understand!

Of course you can tow with a classic... within reason. Most vehicles to early 1970s (and beyond) are no longer original under the hood. Changes may have been made due to inability to find repairable stock parts or desire for safety and speed. Just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

While there is a certain desire to remain original, lots of vehicles just aren't any longer. Newer motors, transmissions, brakes, etc. drives street machine owners to upgrade.

I belong to a club with over 40 trucks, 1953-1956 Ford F-100s. Some are screaming machines, everything from small block V8s to 454s. There's a huge difference between driving a straight axle truck to one with independent suspension. I own a 1953 Ford Panel, the flathead is long gone. Now a 302, C4, disc brakes and 9" rearend. I could tow anything Escape builds except the 5er.

So, if you desire a classic, just pay attention to what's under the hood and below the floor. If you find the vehicle of your dreams, you may need to make some drivetrain changes. Then be prepared to spend some big bucks. Oh boy it can be expensive.

Best of luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henrys1.jpg (20.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Henrys2.jpg (20.1 KB, 34 views)
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platunum.
Posts: 368
Classic car for show,
newer truck (or SUV) for tow?
__________________
Brent and Cheryl.
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now this is a discussion I like and understand!

Of course you can tow with a classic... within reason. Most vehicles to early 1970s (and beyond) are no longer original under the hood. Changes may have been made due to inability to find repairable stock parts or desire for safety and speed. Just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

While there is a certain desire to remain original, lots of vehicles just aren't any longer. Newer motors, transmissions, brakes, etc. drives street machine owners to upgrade.

I belong to a club with over 40 trucks, 1953-1956 Ford F-100s. Some are screaming machines, everything from small block V8s to 454s. There's a huge difference between driving a straight axle truck to one with independent suspension. I own a 1953 Ford Panel, the flathead is long gone. Now a 302, C4, disc brakes and 9" rearend. I could tow anything Escape builds except the 5er.

So, if you desire a classic, just pay attention to what's under the hood and below the floor. If you find the vehicle of your dreams, you may need to make some drivetrain changes. Then be prepared to spend some big bucks. Oh boy it can be expensive.

Best of luck!
Hi: Donna D... Donna's "Outstanding in her field"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm crushed! Boring? Nah. 18 plus feet of Platinum White Metallic Turbocharged leatherbound gorgeousness....
Apologies to rbryan if you didn't realize my tongue was firmly in cheek with my "boring" comment! Even more so because you've been kind enough with helpful advice for this newbie.

There's also a large dose of sour grapes in my comment. Being a Ford guy (Ranger), I'd love your tow -- but in my neck of the woods, it'd set me back around 80 grand by the time I figured in the 15% sales tax we have to swallow (I've just been quoted $69k after discounts & incentives for Platinum EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab -- ouch!)
__________________
Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now this is a discussion I like and understand!

Of course you can tow with a classic... within reason. Most vehicles to early 1970s (and beyond) are no longer original under the hood. Changes may have been made due to inability to find repairable stock parts or desire for safety and speed. Just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

While there is a certain desire to remain original, lots of vehicles just aren't any longer. Newer motors, transmissions, brakes, etc. drives street machine owners to upgrade.

I belong to a club with over 40 trucks, 1953-1956 Ford F-100s. Some are screaming machines, everything from small block V8s to 454s. There's a huge difference between driving a straight axle truck to one with independent suspension. I own a 1953 Ford Panel, the flathead is long gone. Now a 302, C4, disc brakes and 9" rearend. I could tow anything Escape builds except the 5er.

So, if you desire a classic, just pay attention to what's under the hood and below the floor. If you find the vehicle of your dreams, you may need to make some drivetrain changes. Then be prepared to spend some big bucks. Oh boy it can be expensive.

Best of luck!
A friend of Wendy's was just by for a quick visit, she's in town for the above-mentioned Show 'n' Shine, with her '46 Ford convertible. I didn't have a chance to get into the mechanical specifics, but I did notice, while the womenfolk were visiting, that this beauty had a Class III hitch & a 7-pin wiring connector -- along with dual exhaust, tan leather upholstery, & a flat wire-spoke steering wheel 3 feet in diameter!

Dream.
__________________
Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,519
"Old" tow vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
There's also a large dose of sour grapes in my comment. Being a Ford guy (Ranger), I'd love your tow -- but in my neck of the woods, it'd set me back around 80 grand by the time I figured in the 15% sales tax we have to swallow (I've just been quoted $69k after discounts & incentives for Platinum EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab -- ouch!)

Wow, I thought 49K was sky high! No need for sour grapes though -- you get to live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, whilst I do not!
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,702
Trust me, you don't even want to know what it costs to bring old iron into this century. Paint and modifications to the drive train. OMG. $70 thousand not including the trailer maybe just a drop in the bucket...

I have friends that were spending $32 an ounce for paint (think shot glass) ... and that was in 2003 dollars. Not including labor!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
currinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Box Elder, South Dakota
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Posts: 354
If you're going to tow with a vintage vehicle, you need a vintage trailer.


An Escape just would not look right.
__________________
Hugh Currin
2018 Bigfoot 25'
2018 RAM 2500 Diesel
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
santacruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 759
My father brought his wife and son (me) cross country from New Jersey to California in 1952, in a 1952 Chevrolet sedan, towing a 30' trailer, fully equipped. He had custom-made a gooseneck bar that fit on a hitch ball mounted in the trunk, over the rear axle. The folks really associated with the Long Long Trailer when it came out.
__________________
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
My father brought his wife and son (me) cross country from New Jersey to California in 1952, in a 1952 Chevrolet sedan, towing a 30' trailer, fully equipped. He had custom-made a gooseneck bar that fit on a hitch ball mounted in the trunk, over the rear axle. The folks really associated with the Long Long Trailer when it came out.
Wow, Bob. I wonder how many people have this same story?
In 1948, my parents brought me from the Northeast to Los Angeles, using a 1940 Ford to tow a 27 ft. trailer (It had a ducktail back end). They left Buffalo, NY in a snowstorm, and arrived some weeks later in sunny So.Cal.
We lived in the trailer until they bought a home 2 years later.

And, yes, for years, we watched "The Long Trailer" whenever it came on TV.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
In Orbe Terrum Non Visi / RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Wow, Bob. I wonder how many people have this same story?
In 1948, my parents brought me from the Northeast to Los Angeles, using a 1940 Ford to tow a 27 ft. trailer (It had a ducktail back end). They left Buffalo, NY in a snowstorm, and arrived some weeks later in sunny So.Cal.
We lived in the trailer until they bought a home 2 years later.

And, yes, for years, we watched "The Long Trailer" whenever it came on TV.
Don 1948 from Rochester , New York but on a plane but you guessed it to a trailer to live for couple years . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Posts: 833
Interesting! Either of you have pictures?
__________________
Consciousness: That confusing time between naps
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
santacruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 759
Yeah, photos are somewhere. If I ever dig them them out I'll re-open this thread.
__________________
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Interesting! Either of you have pictures?
Yeah, but it's in a shoe box, next to other shoe boxes, inside a bigger cardboard box in the garage.
It's part of the "we're going to sort these, and scan them, and organize them" family photo archive project.
I'll give it a shot.
__________________

__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
In Orbe Terrum Non Visi / RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×