Our experience with Valley Driving School - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
And pull throughs do seem to be getting more popular but I like the back ins because they are usually cheaper.
Paul
Back in sites are also usually more sheltered and private too, often around the outside of the campground. Most pull throughs tend to be right in the middle, and much less sheltered, though not all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Even with instruction it takes time and practice. Every time I have gotten into trouble it's because I rushed. I've ended up in some really tough situations with my horse trailer but if I stay calm and think it through I can usually get out of any jam. I just don't haul enough to be great at backing I can do it but I'm a little slow still.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
my thoughts on 'backing up' (after spending time yesterday practising) .....

Some people seem to have brains that work well in terms of spatial directions while some of us have brains that work waaayyyy better when dealing with theory, concepts and abstractions.

In my professional life I write and work with people not things. I tend to suck at trying to fix things around the house (Liz is the expert). However, I love tracking the argument of an author, thinking about his/her conceptual framework and predicting where the writer is going. I can learn how to get things done in the "physical" world but my strength is in the conceptual. (Liz says I use this line of reasoning to be lazy.)

One of the things I like about trailering is that it pushes me into an area outside my natural skill set. I don't expect to be one of the people that will back up like a pro .... but I am committed to learning and becoming better.

Of course there is crossover between types - I'm writing about natural skill sets. And some people seem to be wired to be great at both spatial/conceptual.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
While backing up if you want the trailer to go to the left, turn your steering wheel to the right, if you want it to go to right, turn your steering wheel to the left. Couldn't be any simpler, right?
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I still subscribe to the method where you hold the steering wheel at the bottom, with your palm facing up. If you want the trailer to go to the left, you move your hand ( and thus the wheel ) to your left.
It's the same as described by sunrisetrucker, but by holding the wheel at the bottom, it removes a wee bit of the thinking.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #26

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
driving school

We go to a private camp ground in Oregon, narrow street and narrow spots at an angle, I have to work at hitting the angle just right but if the owner is around he comes out to protect his grass and can really help anyone by directing the turning of the steering wheel, it really does help and I have learned to listen to him, perfect every time. He does the same with the 40' units.
Now when we load an old car with the engine in the wrong end and it has to be backed onto our small tilt bed trailer I have Nancy drive and I give her directions relative to turning the steering wheel as the ramps and tracks are very narrow, also works great.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
My neighbours kid me that they are afraid to watch me back onto my parking ramps.
I am happy about that because an audience makes backing that much more difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2886.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
While backing up if you want the trailer to go to the left, turn your steering wheel to the right, if you want it to go to right, turn your steering wheel to the left. Couldn't be any simpler, right?

Of course as a left handed person at times I have trouble with the whole left right thing. I'll try to keep this advice in mind. I like Glen's advice the less thinking the better. Thanks
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I still subscribe to the method where you hold the steering wheel at the bottom, with your palm facing up. If you want the trailer to go to the left, you move your hand ( and thus the wheel ) to your left.
This is the method I use, that along with going slowly have served me well so far.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Many ways of accomplishing the same thing. I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Where my thumb points is the direction the trailer is going.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #31

Trailer: 2012 17B
My answer to the backing up thing: look out your rear views. If you see your trailer sticking out too far in one direction, turn the steering wheel that way. And don't rush. As one who is left/right challenged, this hint changed me from one who wouldn't even try to a confident backer. You don't have to worry about where your hands are on the wheel, either.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Where my thumb points is the direction the trailer is going.
Which thumb?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Where my thumb points is the direction the trailer is going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Which thumb?
I had the same thought
My guess is that the idea is that moving the top of the wheel in the direction a thumb is pointing moves the trailer to that side... but that just means that the trailer moves in the same direction as the top of the steering wheel, right?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
My answer to the backing up thing: look out your rear views. If you see your trailer sticking out too far in one direction, turn the steering wheel that way. And don't rush.
You don't have to worry about where your hands are on the wheel, either.
I find the same thing.

Sticking with the mirrors, rather than switching back and forth between mirrors and looking directly (over a shoulder) reduces orientation issues. When I switch between the mirror view and a direct view, I do it while stopped, and pause to make sure I'm properly oriented before moving again.

A backup camera normally has a reversed view, so it works like looking through a mirror, so it can be used with the mirrors without confusion.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Many ways of accomplishing the same thing. I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Where my thumb points is the direction the trailer is going.
I don't get this either. First, which thumb and second do you turn the wheel in the direction that that thumb is pointing? When I hold the wheel, my thumb is generally pointing forward.

I also use mirrors. Because I can't see through the trailer.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When I hold the wheel, my thumb is generally pointing forward.
You're presumably wrapping your thumb around the rim of the wheel, like you're holding a baseball bat. The alternative is to lay your thumb along the rim, like you're holding a golf club. It doesn't matter in most driving situations, but in some off-road and racing situations it can be important to avoid wrapping your thumbs around the rim because a severe kickback of the wheel (due to hitting a rock or curb or crashing, depending on the situation) can break a thumb. When just spinning the wheel in tight manoeuvers, avoiding wrapping your thumbs around can keep them from catching on the wheel's spokes.

While we're on the subject of holding the wheel...
Quote:
I keep both hands on the top of the wheel.
This is fine for backing up the trailer, and I know that's the current topic of discussion, but please don't do this while driving on the road. Donna, I assume you don't anyway, but the mention brings up an opportunity for a caution. Aside from providing poor steering control, the airbag mounted in the wheel can cause serious arm and face injuries if the driver's arm is across the middle of the wheel when a crash triggers the airbag.
I don't want to bog this discussion down further, but those interested might do a Google search for airbag injury hands on top of wheel" (and of course read what you find with appropriate skepticism).

Normally, a driver's hands should be at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, with the thumbs laid along the rim or on spokes or bumps in the wheel designed for this purpose.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Which thumb?

Ron
Where the thumb is pointing. When using this method, I don't grip the wheel with my thumbs wrapped around the steering wheel, but laying along side. Hey, it works for me.

I've tried the bottom of the wheel, palm up. Not so good for me.

That's what this is about... what works for each. LOL
Old 03-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...Donna, I assume you don't anyway, but the mention brings up an opportunity for a caution. Aside from providing poor steering control, the airbag mounted in the wheel can cause serious arm and face injuries if the driver's arm is across the middle of the wheel when a crash triggers the airbag.
If you're wearing glasses you can plan on getting a broken nose and two black eyes when the airbag goes off.

Brian, don't worry about me. I had professional driving lessons, because I used to give out tickets.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Where the thumb is pointing. When using this method, I don't grip the wheel with my thumbs wrapped around the steering wheel, but laying along side. Hey, it works for me.

I've tried the bottom of the wheel, palm up. Not so good for me.

That's what this is about... what works for each. LOL
But you said "both hands on the wheel" and that means two thumbs, presumably pointed in two different directions. I still don't get it

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Normally, a driver's hands should be at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, with the thumbs laid along the rim or on spokes or bumps in the wheel designed for this purpose.
I was taught 10 and 2 for the position on the steering wheel.
And, now, right now, I'm watching "Fifth Gear" on Discovery Velocity channel ( all cars, all the time ) and I can't help but watch how they hold the steering wheel.
So far, all of them ( racing drivers, auto journalists, etc. ) are holding the wheel so that their thumbs wrap around the wheel, not on the spokes.
I think the fear of dislocating your thumb when hitting a bump or such comes from experience with John Deere tractors, not with power steering equipped vehicles of today.
(LATER ) different drivers hold the wheel differently. Some wrap thumb and some do not. Now, I can't watch TV without looking at thumbs and wondering if arthritis has an effect.

Anyway, still waiting to hear an explanation from Donna that accounts for having two thumbs.