Our New Tow Vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Our New Tow Vehicle

After a lot of research and shopping my wife and I decided on a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L with Honda Sensing (lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, auto cruise control, blind spot detection) as a tow vehicle. Very happy to get this '16 model with the driver assist safety features because it wasn't standard for '16.

We really loved and desired a Toyota 4 Runner. As a second vehicle which will serve as a commuter until we go full-time in September 2020, the better fuel mileage, greater interior space and lower cost of the Honda Pilot won us over. We were suprised with the high cost of pre-owned Toyota 4 Runners in the metro-Boston market!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3935.jpg  
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
You'll love the Pilot- I love the Honda sensing (also on my Ridgeline). It's especially great changing lanes or on cruise control (and backing, too.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Did you consider the Subaru Ascent? It has been on our mind.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Great choice. We love our 2011 Pilot matched w/our 17.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
After a lot of research and shopping my wife and I decided on a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L with Honda Sensing (lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, auto cruise control, blind spot detection) as a tow vehicle. Very happy to get this '16 model with the driver assist safety features because it wasn't standard for '16.

We really loved and desired a Toyota 4 Runner. As a second vehicle which will serve as a commuter until we go full-time in September 2020, the better fuel mileage, greater interior space and lower cost of the Honda Pilot won us over. We were suprised with the high cost of pre-owned Toyota 4 Runners in the metro-Boston market!
Nice vehicle. Standard EX-L model with 3500# tow capacity or AWD with transmission cooler capable of 5000#?

I like the 4Runners but my father and I have Gen 4 models so I'm admittedly a bit biased. The multi-mode 4WD system with center differential is impressive. To get the equivalent system in the current models I believe you need to purchase the Limited trim. All 4Runners do seem to hold their value quite well.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: jadams... I hope along with buying such a dark vehicle you got the "Car wash" option too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Nice vehicle. Standard EX-L model with 3500# tow capacity or AWD with transmission cooler capable of 5000#?

I like the 4Runners but my father and I have Gen 4 models so I'm admittedly a bit biased. The multi-mode 4WD system with center differential is impressive. To get the equivalent system in the current models I believe you need to purchase the Limited trim. All 4Runners do seem to hold their value quite well.
Oh ya, the Pilot is an AWD model. Thanks for informing me of the transmission cooler. I wasn't aware of this option. I have to install a receiver hitch and wiring harness. The install on the ATF Cooler Assembly looks easy and is short money at $150.

Those are some of the many reasons we liked the 4Runners so much. Also, can't beat the super cool roll down rear window.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: jadams... I hope along with buying such a dark vehicle you got the "Car wash" option too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I know, right? I've owned a black car in the past and they require more exterior care.

Shopping pre-owned SUVs limited our options. '16 AWD Pilots with Honda Sensing and low mileage are a bit of a unicorn and we were happy to score almost any color. We missed out on a blue vehicle by a couple of days.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Did you consider the Subaru Ascent? It has been on our mind.
Sure did! The Ascent is a really nice SUV. It came down to finances and some subjective things. Michelle appreciates the increased driver visibility in the Pilot with it's larger rear window. We have a Honda HR-V so the familiar interior of the Pilot felt nicer to us also.

There are more pre-owned Pilot options in our market because I believe the Ascent became available in 2018. End of year pricing on a discounted Ascent with low APR would have just pushed us into a new '19 model as compared to pre-owned '18 model. They were really out of our price range even with the end of year sales.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #10

Thanks Don! We purchased with confidence because a lot of folks here on the forum like you are pulling 17s effectively with Pilots.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Great looking set-up, and the color goes well with Chloe's coat

You're going to love it, I'm sure - it will pull your 17B so easily, you'll barely know you have a trailer in tow!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Those are some of the many reasons we liked the 4Runners so much. Also, can't beat the super cool roll down rear window.
The Pilot is a great choice. Keep in mind that with regular maintenance, your trailer will likely outlast your tow vehicle. So you may have an opportunity for something else in the future.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
Great looking set-up, and the color goes well with Chloe's coat

You're going to love it, I'm sure - it will pull your 17B so easily, you'll barely know you have a trailer in tow!
Thanks Mimi!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The Pilot is a great choice. Keep in mind that with regular maintenance, your trailer will likely outlast your tow vehicle. So you may have an opportunity for something else in the future.
Yes indeed! Thanks for reminding me of how durable Escapes are with a little tlc. I like the idea the trailer will outlast a vehicle. We may get that 4Runner eventually or I may finally get a truck once we're in Vermont.