Picking up your Escape trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Picking up your Escape trailer

Hello
Did you pick up your trailer at the factory and tow it through customs ? or as per Escapes frequently asked questions info:

Once the trailer is finished we will schedule a four hour Orientation for you at your convienence. Once the orientation is completed one of our driver's will transport the trailer from our facility in Chilliwack, BC to Sumas, WA.
Both the driver and new Escape owner will travel separately back to Sumas, WA. Our driver will export the trailer across the border into the US through the Commercial Lanes, while the US Resident crosses the border through the standard crossing.
The driver will then meet the US owner at a predetermined location in Sumas, where the trailer will be unhooked and the new owner will be able to hook up and continue home.
Thank you, Jubal
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Can't beat that for customer service. Sweeeet!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Definitely great catering for their US customers. Good on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I brought my NY trailer plate with me, after the orientation & Reace adding the WDH to the RAV4, I spent the night in a campground in Chilliwack, then headed back across the border at Sumas with the paperwork provided by Tammy. Took about 15 minutes for them to check the trailer VIN and fill out the paperwork. No charge for anything...
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I think the information about Escape driving your trailer across the border is old. Jim and Robin picked up their 15B in December 2012 and drove it across the Sumas border themselves. Escape informed me that the Sumas customs is so used to seeing Escapes come through that the process is fairly routine as Jon indicated. I was informed that with the paperwork that I would have, I would just drive the 15B across myself.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We picked up ours last summer and were across the border at sumas right away , we were not importing it but I was still a bit nervous, it went very smoothly even when we came back into Canada a week later in Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
We drove east across Canada and entered at Roosville just west of Glacier NP. Took about 30 minutes because they had not processed one before and there was some discussion among customs officers. No problems for us.

Dick
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 15B
As Tim and Julie mentioned above, Tammy gave us the paperwork to give to Customs. We parked, went inside, where they stamped some papers and gave them back to us. No problems. It took us about 15 minutes or so.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We spent 2 days in Victoria after picking up, then crossed by ferry into Port Angeles. Customs people were impressed that Tammy had all the paperwork done. They checked the VIN, hit the paperwork with the red stamp, and we were on our way...10 minutes.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We picked up our Escape 19 two months ago and drove it across the border at Sumas ourselves. Tammy had the paperwork all ready to go...at the border we were asked to pull over to the side and take our papers inside one of the buildings...an officer looked at them for all of 20 seconds, stamped them, and said we were good to go. Nobody needed to inspect the trailer...I don't even know if he glanced out the window at it! It could not have been easier or quicker...nothing to worry about!!

(Don't know where you saw the info about drivers, meeting places, etc. but I, too, think it's old.)

Lisa & Family
2013 Escape 19
Underwood, WA
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Frequently asked questions
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
To be sure I would just call Tammy. She explained everything over the phone to me beforehand, and also while we were picking up our trailer. At the border, it all unfolded just as she described.
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello Everyone,

As outlined in the FAQ on the Escape Forum. The trailers are Exported rather than being Imported. In 2007, the Canada Revenue Agency told us that we could have the trailer Imported by the customer into the US as long as we maintained proof of exportation. This change in process was a result of a change with the NAFTA.

However, after a recent review the Canada Revenue Agency has now asked that we being Exporting the trailers across the border into Sumas, WA. Rather than the customer having the 7501 stamped by the Customs Officer. We now have the Customs Officer stamp the 7501 and provide the customer with a certified copy.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

So, Tammy (it appears that you are still logged on to this forum)
Please clarify. Escape trailers will now tow the vehicle through customs ? What if we want to travel east in Canada and then enter the US ? Do we reenter Canada ?
Thank you, Jubal
OK, were logged on when I started to reply.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello Jubal,

Yes, you can re-enter Canada once it has been exported into the US.

The purpose for exporting your trailer is to ensure you as a US citizen is exempt from the BC Sales Tax HST which is 12%.
Once your trailer has entered production we will assign your trailer a VIN number and prepare the documents for you to title and insure your trailer.

Depending on which state you are from you may also be able to register the trailer and bring with you the metal plates for your trailer. However, we still have to export the trailer before you continue on your holiday.

If you are unable to obtain the metal plates before you arrive you will have 30 days to travel east before returning to N. Indiana and register your trailer.

Please let me know if you require further clarification
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #16

Thank you for the quick response and clarification.
Escape=satisfaction (:
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #17

Update for U.S. customers. We picked up our new 15B on Monday, April 1. The rules have changed, again. We did all of the paperwork at Escape and we could not put anything inside as Reace had to take it across the border. We met him at the parking lot of Bob's Burgers and Brew in Sumas and he unhitched and gave up the stamped customs sheet. The paperwork is for that day so even if you want to tour Canada you take delivery in Sumas and then drive back across the border. We stayed at a nice KOA in Lynden, WA where we loaded our things, filled our propane tank and enjoyed the sun and a beer after a long eventful day.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Isn't this bureaucratic stuff a lot of fun? Just wait until next year, someone will change things again.

Glad to hear you got your trailer okay though, do enjoy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #19

Picking up your Escape in the U.S.

Pictures of Reace pulling into Bob's Burgers and Brew in Sumas and us taking delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1575.jpg   IMG_1576.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Congratulations, Tim and Julie! It looks great. Thanks for the photos. Now for the fun. Good time to get it so you have the whole camping season to use it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote