Pickup bed slides - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Pickup bed slides

Just completed a project that I have been wanting for a long time. It always frustrated me when I wanted to get camping items we packed in the back of the pickup bed, especially when connected (generator, etc...).

I have seen the commercial bed slides that go for $1000 to $1500, but I couldn't justify the expense, so I built our own. All in, about $150 plus a couple of evening's labor. Base is made out of 8 pieces of 3/4 angle iron, and 3 pieces of 1 1/3 inch flat stock, welded together. Slides are made out of 3/4 plywood and some poplar. The bearings are roller blade bearings which are pretty well built and cheap... Put a couple of stainless steel pins on the front that fit through holes in the front of the box and 2 stainless screws in the back. When needed, the whole assy can come out in 4-5 minutes.

Thought that this might be useful to others that have to pack a lot of "stuff" in the pickup bed, when camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Bedslide1.jpg   Bedslide2.jpg  
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Just completed a project that I have been wanting for a long time. It always frustrated me when I wanted to get camping items we packed in the back of the pickup bed, especially when connected (generator, etc...).

I have seen the commercial bed slides that go for $1000 to $1500, but I couldn't justify the expense, so I built our own. All in, about $150 plus a couple of evening's labor. Base is made out of 8 pieces of 3/4 angle iron, and 3 pieces of 1 1/3 inch flat stock, welded together. Slides are made out of 3/4 plywood and some poplar. The bearings are roller blade bearings which are pretty well built and cheap... Put a couple of stainless steel pins on the front that fit through holes in the front of the box and 2 stainless screws in the back. When needed, the whole assy can come out in 4-5 minutes.

Thought that this might be useful to others that have to pack a lot of "stuff" in the pickup bed, when camping.
Nice project. Very well done!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have been wanting slides for my PU too and like your project. Can you provide us with more details please? Think I want to incorporate stops / brakes for use when parking on hills.

Good job!

Tom
Old 10-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Nice work, very practical, makes life easier. I need to look into this further. More picture would be great.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
Why two smaller slides instead of one large one?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I have been wanting slides for my PU too and like your project. Can you provide us with more details please? Think I want to incorporate stops / brakes for use when parking on hills.

Good job!

Tom
I'll get some measurements put together and a couple more photos in a few days. Glad you like it.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Why two smaller slides instead of one large one?
I normally carry my generator in the back along with containers of other equipment/supplies. I did't want to have to pull the whole thing out when I needed to use the generator. This allows me to just pull out the slide that I need.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I am right now making some drawers for the back of my Tundra based on this youtube video. 3/4" shop grade plywood and some 1" steel runners and some roller blade bearings. I want to store some tools and other stuff better in my truck so I can get them out to be used easily.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post

How much weight will they support when extended? I hate having to crawl into the front of my F250 longbed to arrange stuff, OTOH, any such slider would have to support at least 1000 lbs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote