Poll of 5.0 Owners (only, please) - is your tug 2WD or 4WD/AWD? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: I currently tow my Escape 5.0 with ...
2WD (and always have) 14 20.59%
4WD/AWD (and always have) 45 66.18%
2WD (but used 4WD/AWD in the past towing my 5.0) 2 2.94%
4WD/AWD (but used 2WD in the past towing my 5.0) 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Ram 2015 ECO Diesel 4wd with air suspension. No problems with the 5.0 TA combination.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
In any case, it is what it is, I'll stop 'nagging' about the poll, no worries
Hi: Centex... Thanks for doing this...but consider your self told!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I tow my 5.0 ta with a 1995 3/4 t 4x4 Silverado. Old but with low milage. I am starting to look for a new one.

I also carry chains. The gravel roads, where we tow are often greasy.
Have I put the chains on ?
Nope. But if I didn't have them, I'd need a tow truck. That happened in the past with our 17' boler and a 2wd van.

Have I had the truck in 4x4 ? while towing, nope.

Buying a 2wd truck, here, would be a special order. The next truck will probably be a 4x.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
In any case, it is what it is, I'll stop 'nagging' about the poll, no worries
I didn't see the request to answer the poll as nagging at all - just a polite note to help the validity of the poll data, since some people might not have noticed the actual poll at the top of the thread.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I bought my truck, it was late in the model year. At that point, ya get what ya get. I knew I wanted a white F-150. Sat with the salesperson for several hours while he was on the computer searching for a 2x4, in white. No luck and I knew I didn't want to order one as the >$10,000 incentives were only for dealers inventory. So while I didn't want a 4x4, I'm happy that's what I bought. BIGGER FUEL TANK! Doubtful I'll ever use the 4-wheel drive option, but I don't have a crystal ball.

So, if you're not real picky there's probably what you want in inventory.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
So, if you're not real picky ....
Moi ?

(but yes, even being picky I've always found what I want in inventory somewhere that I could get to, though not at the super-discounted end-of-the-model-year after the new models are hitting the dealerships )
Old 01-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I bought my truck, it was late in the model year. At that point, ya get what ya get. I knew I wanted a white F-150. Sat with the salesperson for several hours while he was on the computer searching for a 2x4, in white. No luck and I knew I didn't want to order one as the >$10,000 incentives were only for dealers inventory. So while I didn't want a 4x4, I'm happy that's what I bought. BIGGER FUEL TANK! Doubtful I'll ever use the 4-wheel drive option, but I don't have a crystal ball.

So, if you're not real picky there's probably what you want in inventory.
Donna, to put things in perspective, I have ordered the last two of my three F-150s. But it is more related to be both lazy and forgetful than it is to being picky. My choice comes down to wanting a 6-1/2 foot bed and a back seat in as short a vehicle (for parking reasons) as possible. That means an extended cab rather than a crew cab. The smaller back seat is not a problem. Since 2012, I have had people in the back seat only 2 times for very short trips, so backseat comfort is not a big concern. Lazy and forgetful results in my desire to have a cross bed toolbox loaded with most of camping supplies (electric, water, and propane accessories). If they stay in the toolbox, I don’t have to load and unload them every trip, and I DO NOT forget to take them. The 5-1/2 foot bed lacks the space to have a toolbox AND a 5th Wheel hitch. I don’t know what the dealers in other parts of the country keep in inventory, but in my area if you can find one or two extended cabs on the lot, you would be doing well. But even if you can, they are not likely to be the color you want or the equipment packages you want. If I were towing a bumper pull, I would probably have an off-the-lot crew cab.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
My 4wd diesel dually tows my E5.0 just fine; the exhaust braking keeps things under control on the downgrades, too - almost without ever touching the service brakes.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When leaving our campsite on the Pacific coast of the Baja, 4x4 was sure a handy thing in the sand.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 F250
F250 4x2

I got a Ford F2 50 4x2 because it had better bed rail clearance at the time then a Ford F2 50 4 x 4. In addition I save a lot of money. I don’t drive off road with what is a really expensive vehicle. I would’ve liked having four-wheel-drive once when I was stuck for a few minutes on wet grass. (A pull in/ back out campsite). In general I also get off the road when there is a material amount snow.

It works for me. I do carry chains and an extraction tool called the claw which goes over the a rear tire if I need it. I haven’t needed either.

Last but not least it handles really well.

Some notes on my research on four-wheel-drive: four-wheel-drive will improve acceleration on snow and ice it will do I nothing for deceleration (breaking); I noted that one of the cases were four-wheel-drive on trucks is recommended is if you ever pull a boat trailer and are using a sand ramp.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I tow my 5.0 with a F150 2.7 short bed crew cab removable Anderson hitch connects to turn over ball. Works great no complaints
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I’m buying a 2021 tundra 6.5
A few have said no way you must get a 8’ which I don’t want.
Then my next problem is the hitch-anderson-or slider.
I had no idea the fifth wheel hitch world would be such a mess.
Also the information with regards to hitch placement goes all over the place.
I’m going to buy a 2021, which is the same as the 2007 I once had, in 2022 the tundra will be getting a overhaul. Thing is the 2021 isn't in the hitch guides yet so they make stories up on placement.
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I’m going to buy a 2021, which is the same as the 2007 I once had, in 2022 the tundra will be getting a overhaul. Thing is the 2021 isn't in the hitch guides yet so they make stories up on placement.
I believe the frame on the 2021 Tundra is the same as the prior five years. Hitch should be over rear axle.

I tow with a 2017 Tundra Platinum, 5'6" bed, CrewMax cab, 5.7 L engine 4x4 drive.
Hitch = the B&W turnover ball with the Andersen Ultimate hitch.

This is a great combo and I have been very happy with it. I rarely use the 4x4 while hitched. Only if in snow. But I do use it unhitched on the beach if allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
EE41656C-3A90-48F4-8FBC-0FF058A2EBE2.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Way thx
I’m going into this as a first timer, figured getting which I believe is one of the best, increases my chances of RV enjoyment.
I looked into doing a second get away from the winter home and this way seemed to be the way that could be best for me. I’m in St. Louis so the summers can be a bit sticky also.
Another bonus is we have grandkids on both coast.
My next phase is looking into all things electrical, appliance and maybe a composting toilet.
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
You do not need a slider in a 6.5’ bed should you choose to go with a conventional 5th Wheel hitch. It really comes down to your preference between an Andersen or a conventional like a Curt, B&W, Demco, etc. They will all do the job. The Andersen, being a ball and coupler hitch requires safety chains; conventional 5th wheel hitches do not. With the conventional 5th wheel hitch you drive the hitch onto the kingpin. With the Anderson, you position the ball under the coupler and lower the coupler onto the ball.

I personally have an F-150, 6.5’ bed, with a Demco hitch and an in-the-bed umbilical (7-pin) outlet. I am very pleased with the setup.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 F250
Concerning bed length and hitch. Talk with Escape folk regarding length from hitch and end of bed. You will have more difficulty with the longer bed.

You will also have to consider turning radians without hitting window.

I use a Turn-a-ball BW hitch that works in a longer bed. The OEM hitch connection with a similar BW hitch would not work for my (longer bed) F250.

I live the hitch I have, but the Andersen hitch is really light and it may work in an F150

Good luck.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
Concerning bed length and hitch. Talk with Escape folk regarding length from hitch and end of bed. You will have more difficulty with the longer bed.
Richard, I’m not sure I understand what you mean when you say more difficulty with the longer bed regarding length from hitch to end of bed. It is my understanding that the frame is extended in a truck with an 8-foot bed, placing the axle the same distance from the tailgate as it is in a 5.5 or a 6.5-foot bed. That to me only means more storage space in front of the hitch.
Perhaps you could elaborate on your reasoning.

I personally have an F-150 extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed. Three “considerations” came into play on my choice of tow vehicle;

1. Intermittent CRS and a degree of laziness resulted in a desire to have a cross bed toolbox in front of the hitch. It contains all of my electrical, water, and propane accessories, separated into 3 individual square storage bins to avoid having to search through a jumble of parts and accessories to find something. The toolbox also holds my propane campfire, one of the original Vampfire in a Cans. It is about the same size as Camco’s Little Red Campfire. Having the toolbox means I do not have to load or unload these items for every trip, and I do not (cannot) forget to bring them if they are already onboard. A 5.5 foot bed does not have adequate space to put a toolbox in front of the hitch.

2. For parking purposes when unhitched, I wanted the shortest truck possible. The extended cab and the crew cab are the same length. The 8-foot bed truck is 1.5 feet longer. When towing, a bit more difficult to maneuver in tight spots such as a crowded gas station (or gas bar, as my Canadian friends call them). The length increase in the rear seat is offset by length decrease in the cargo bed. In 8 years, I have had backseat passengers exactly two times for short trips to a local restaurant, so rear seat passenger comfort provided by the crew cab is not an issue, and even if it were, having the tool box is a higher priority for me. We use the rear seat to transport the grill (in a tote) and other selected items depending on where we are going and what we want to do.

3. Having the added space where the toolbox sits in front of the hitch does provide for a smaller turning radius with trailer in tow, and less concern with trailer/truck cab contact, although not as much as an 8 foot bed would.

Everyone has different wants and needs. I tried to show that with an explanation of my choice, above. But the 5.0 can be easily towed by trucks with 5.5, 6.5, or 8 foot beds.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The extended cab and the crew cab are the same length. The 8-foot bed truck is 1.5 feet longer.
Just to be clear, in an F-150 the extended cab (SuperCab) with 6.5' box and crew cab (SuperCrew) with 5.5' box are the same length (231.7" overall on 145.4" wheelbase), and the extended cab (SuperCab) with 8.0' box is 1.5 feet longer; however, three other cab and box combinations are available.

It is possible to buy an F-150 with an 8' box which is a bit shorter than the SuperCab/6.5': it is 141.5" overall and 227.7" wheelbase, but it only has a regular cab. Unfortunately, there is no SuperCab with 5.5' box so all F-150 configurations shorter than 231.7" overall on 145.4" wheelbase are regular cabs. Available cab/box combinations may vary year-to-year in the same model.

Obviously the SuperCab with 6.5' box is the right combination for Carl... and many other people, since that's a very popular configuration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just to be clear, in an F-150 the extended cab (SuperCab) with 6.5' box and crew cab (SuperCrew) with 5.5' box are the same length (231.7" overall on 145.4" wheelbase), and the extended cab (SuperCab) with 8.0' box is 1.5 feet longer; however, three other cab and box combinations are available.
Thanks for clarifying, Brian. I did a poor job in that I failed to specify that with either the SuperCab or the SuperCrew adding an 8-foot bed results in a 1.5’ increase in length, but not with the regular cab (with no rear seat, the standard for pickup trucks years ago).

You would be hard pressed to find any regular cab trucks on dealer lots in my area. I don’t know if they are common in other places. Very few people seem to want them, and I do not personally know anyone who still owns a pickup without a rear seat. Most dealer inventory trucks here are SuperCrew with 5.5’ beds. I had to order my SuperCab. Almost anytime I see a regular cab truck on the roads around here, it is either very old or has emblems on the door which indicate it is a fleet vehicle, such as a local government, engineering outfit, or utility company. And if I had to guess, probably with the least expensive level (e.g., Ford XL, rather than XLH, etc).
Old 01-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: C&G in FL... Wishing we could see you at the gaz bah!!! LoL
We have a 5' 7" bed Ram but alas no tool box. We can however back under the 5.0TA with the tailgate down and connect the trailer then raise the gate. We did have a 5.0 and GMC standard cab pickup and the tailgate had to be raised mid way under the trailer, but it had a tool box. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote