Poll of 5.0 Owners (only, please) - is your tug 2WD or 4WD/AWD? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: I currently tow my Escape 5.0 with ...
2WD (and always have) 14 20.59%
4WD/AWD (and always have) 45 66.18%
2WD (but used 4WD/AWD in the past towing my 5.0) 2 2.94%
4WD/AWD (but used 2WD in the past towing my 5.0) 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Hi C&G just wanted you to meet someone with an old base model standard cab 8’ bed pickup. 1998 C2500 2WD. Hello!
Attached Thumbnails
E8EA9C3D-D255-4EF9-83D3-A91EA3CD5CD9.jpg  
Old 01-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You would be hard pressed to find any regular cab trucks on dealer lots in my area. I don’t know if they are common in other places. Very few people seem to want them, and I do not personally know anyone who still owns a pickup without a rear seat. Most dealer inventory trucks here are SuperCrew with 5.5’ beds. I had to order my SuperCab. Almost anytime I see a regular cab truck on the roads around here, it is either very old or has emblems on the door which indicate it is a fleet vehicle, such as a local government, engineering outfit, or utility company. And if I had to guess, probably with the least expensive level (e.g., Ford XL, rather than XLH, etc).
Yes, regular cabs survive almost entirely in roles where they are actually used for work, and for crews of not more than two people. Work trucks don't need fancy trim. Even then, a company buying a pickup for one person to use for real work will usually pick a longer cab, and at least a mid trim level, just for resale value... so both regular cabs and base trim are hard to find.

On the other hand, many travel trailer owners travel with only one or two people so a regular cab is a realistic option. The "back seat" is more often used as storage space, or just room to recline the passenger seat, than for passengers. Truck boxes have become so tall that the space is hard to use - and of course it's open - so the back of the cab is better cargo space. Whatever people choose, they should just know that there are multiple choices.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:19 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Tundra. 5.7 litre V8. 4WD. Have used the 4WD in Oregon, Washington State & California. Would not be without it.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Hi C&G just wanted you to meet someone with an old base model standard cab 8’ bed pickup. 1998 C2500 2WD. Hello!
Randy, as you know, not many people still driving them. Hope it is running well. And it has little of the sensitive electronic stuff that often causes problems and costs an arm and a leg to repair or replace.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
4WD (and always have) 2017 F150 3.5eb 5.5' bed
Old 01-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
My tow vehicle is a 2015 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 with heavy payload package, I don't have extensive experience towing RVs but I have towed ours over 10000 miles so far including through some snow storms and over the Rocky mountains twice. I have actually never engaged the 4 wheel drive; I find that even on snowy roads there's so much weight on the box that it drives beautifully. The only time I use the 4WD system ( and am really glad to have it) is when I'm backing the trailer into its storage spot in the backyard; I have a gradual slope all the way up to the parking spot and find that if there's any humidity at all on the grass the rear wheels spin and wreck my grass, I simply drop it into 4WD and it backs all the way up really well with no wheel spin.

Here's a picture of the setup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape Trailer Cropped.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	53428
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
2018 Ford F-150 super cab 4x4 :

Our 5.0ta was delivered Tuesday during a storm with snow and freezing rain. The trip home was entirely on snow covered roads. I'm very impressed with how the 5.0ta towed.
There were 2 occasions however where I needed to use 4 wheel drive to pull a hill and a 3rd time to get up my driveway and back the trailer into it's parking spot.

I wouldn't choose to tow in this kind of weather but it's nice to know it can be done.

On another note, I'm now a huge fan of Falken Wildpeak snow tires.

It may be dirty but it's finally home safe:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0033 (1).jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Tow hold!!!

Hi: nepaweb... Congrads on a successful but messy tow!!! In 2008 we owned the first Escape 5.0 5th. wh. east of the rockies... My how things have changed. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I’m picking out options, quite a ways to go yet but I’m really glad I’ve been digging in, so much to learn...first timer here.
Ive found its overwhelming so I’m going one step at a time now.
I’m a big Toyota fan, I’m going to eventually get the 6.5 double cab tundra- the bed height dry is right at the 56’, the max before the body lift kit is needed.
Do you currently have the kit and do you recommend it or if you don’t is it a option you would recommend to have installed.
Ive heard the pros and cons but now I’m more concerned about the tundra specifically.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 5.0
David, I’m going to go ahead and have the lift kit installed at eti...I think your picture has convinced me, I don’t want to find out the hard way I should’ve gotten it installed. Big thanks to you and others on here.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote