portable compressor - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks a lot, Alan! So, that’s the plan - first trip of the season, drink beer instead of water

Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
beer fridge.jpg  
Old 02-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Is there any 12 volt thankless options that would produce enough pressure to blow out the lines. I like to carry something for when it gets well below freezing and I am traveling.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
^ no tank with my ARB 12v onboard compressor and it works fine for 30-mins to flush the lines, accumulator and hot water tank. I could do the math but experience has taught me any tank suitable in size for typical under pickup bed (5-gallon or smaller), etc., isn't going to be a benefit for 30-40 psi over more than a couple minutes at best.

I originally didn't think it would take that long of time to fully flush the water system on our 15A and although the bulk of excess water, after gravity draining, did evac in probably 10-minutes I was surprised how much more purged out after 20-30 minutes of using compressed air to flush.

Its all in the duty cycle rating. Puma and Viair both make smaller suitable 12v air compressors. As with any current draw from a battery system you do need to be cognizant of the current draw.
dstreight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Is there any 12 volt thankless options that would produce enough pressure to blow out the lines. I like to carry something for when it gets well below freezing and I am traveling.
The 12V portable compressors produce plenty of pressure. That works nicely for tires. But for blowing out the trailer lines you need plenty of volume - which they can't do. The difference between a tire and Escape plumbing is: A tire is a "dead end" for the air - it can't go anywhere. While plumbing needs to be open at the other end, so the water has somewhere to go - out of the trailer is the goal. With an open system you can't build any pressure with a small compressor.

Adding a tank to the equation - like the "pancake" or "hot dog" compressors - provides the continuous air flow at the regulated pressure that works well for moving water out from the entire distance of the trailer plumbing. But you have just added a rather large, heavy item to your packing list, and one that will likely require 110VAC. Too complicated in my book to take camping.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Question: Can a portable tankless air compressor successfully blow water out of RV water lines during winterization?

Sorry to prolong the winterization blowout discussion, but I want to share some air compressor/blowout research I did and share my own experience.

1. VIAIR is a well-respected manufacturer of portable air compressors mentioned many times on this forum. VIAIR makes a RV Winterization Kit used to blow out RV water lines. The Winterization Kit is designed to fit onto the tire inflation gun that comes standard on several of VIAIR’s larger portable tankless compressors featuring automatic air pressure switches.

VIAIR RV Winterization Kit <https://www.viaircorp.com/air-accessories/rv-winterization-kit>

VIAIR Tankless Portable Compressors: https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

2. It is true that with a small air compressor, an air storage tank can be relied on to successfully blow out RV water lines. A tank helps sustain the normal blow out air pressure (30-50 psi) long enough to easily get all the water out of the lines.

3. On another thread I described how I have successfully used a small tankless portable compressor to blow the water lines on our 5.0.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post371767

It does take extra care and hassle to be successful compared to a compressor with a tank, but sometimes you gotta go with what you got.

So, if you have a tankless air compressor I recommend that you try using it to blow out your water lines. You’ll learn a lot about your compressor, the blowout process, and may be successful. If not successful, I’d recommend you look at one of VIAIR’s more powerful tankless portable air compressors. Depending on your budget, you’ll be able to get a nice small compressor, easy to store, and one that will keep your tires topped up and - probably - will work at winterization time.

Has anyone some experience to share about the specific VIAIR compressor you own and how you use it?

Thanks

How
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Since travelling with a tank style compressor is an issue for some owners, and rightly so, is an option to use an air filling station that one might find at a truck stop along the Interstate? Some of these have become pumps that require payment. My suspicion is that some of them maybe tankless, particularly those located on an island where autos and light truck congregate. What about where the big trucks hang out. I would have to believe they are powered by big compressors. Now the issue is psi, no way to maintain a constant 30.

I do not have any experience with truck stop pumps other than the infrequent filling of a low auto tire. Anyone with more knowledge?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #47

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My concern with the auto / truck air stations would be pressure. I’d want to be able to run through a regulator to keep too high a pressure out of my plumbing.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
You might want to consider that it is can be difficult to get all the water out of some water tanks. The tank on our 21 has a concave "floor" which is pretty much impossible to drain completely, even with the trailer deliberately tilted. If you really want to avoid bacterial growth you might want to consider bleaching the system while draining it. That way, the leftover water will be sterile. Giving it a good rinse before filling up should remove any residue bleach smell. If very little water is left in there, the bleach will likely dissipate in several days anyway.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You would need to ensure the gas station has an "oil-less" compressor. You don't want to fill your water lines with a film of oil.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
With thoughts of driving on the beach and the size of my tires I went with a Viair 300P. FWIW, I used it to blow out the lines when headed north one winter, it worked okay. It hooks to the battery, not a 12v plug.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a Viair 00073 70P, which is a bit smaller than the Viair 00088 88P. Since it only draws 15 amps, I have successfully used it plugged into the Escape & truck 12V receptacles. The downside is it takes longer to pump up a tire, and has a shorter duty cycle. It is still capable of reaching 100PSI; just takes longer.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
After a lot of Amazon search - I am heading to Bon-Aire Craftsman 75118 120V Portable Inflator. The reason is that I will have a standard 120v outlet in my truck bed (part of Ford ProPower). And, this one has a standard 3 pronged AC plug, 11 ft cord + 7 ft air hose. The fill rate for 30 PSI (for comparison) is 1.74 vs 1.25 for VIAIR 88P. It is a bit heavier than VIAIR but not too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-120.../dp/B004XDXXWC

The reason to prefer this over VIAIR, which seems like the most used and recommended choice, is the 3 pronged AC plug. This plug is preferable over the 12v plug or the battery connector prongs that come with VIAIR. The AC plug goes right into the truck bed outlets and should reach both truck and trailer tires easily. This reason is specific to my tow vehicle power setup.

I searched the VIAIR site without finding anything with standard AC plug.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
After a lot of Amazon search - I am heading to Bon-Aire Craftsman 75118 120V Portable Inflator. The reason is that I will have a standard 120v outlet in my truck bed (part of Ford ProPower). And, this one has a standard 3 pronged AC plug, 11 ft cord + 7 ft air hose. The fill rate for 30 PSI (for comparison) is 1.74 vs 1.25 for VIAIR 88P. It is a bit heavier than VIAIR but not too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-120.../dp/B004XDXXWC

The reason to prefer this over VIAIR, which seems like the most used and recommended choice, is the 3 pronged AC plug. This plug is preferable over the 12v plug or the battery connector prongs that come with VIAIR. The AC plug goes right into the truck bed outlets and should reach both truck and trailer tires easily. This reason is specific to my tow vehicle power setup.

I searched the VIAIR site without finding anything with standard AC plug.
I added a 12V exterior plug-in to both sides of my 21 for a compressor, but never used them once my Taco arrived with the rear bed AC outlet. However, I now use them for running a 12V fan at campsites to keep skeeters away!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #54

Thanks! I believe we have an external power outlet as well. But, like you - I'd prefer the AC connection to the truck bed. The craftsman model I found seems to have good ratings and has more airflow, so should work for our setup.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks! I believe we have an external power outlet as well. But, like you - I'd prefer the AC connection to the truck bed. The craftsman model I found seems to have good ratings and has more airflow, so should work for our setup.
Looks like craftsman makes a model that will work on Ac and DC and 20 volt battery pack. although its not clear how much air it will move.It may be to small. a a ac/dc option would be nice
https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-CMC...ustomerReviews
Old 02-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #56

NEWYORKHILLBILLY - I looked at the website for this I could not find any air flow spec is on Amazon and the craftsman company website - and that's not a good sign. Price wise - it requires you to buy the battery, air hose, etc. on top. Aside from the expense, more moving parts to lose. It will not be cheaper than what I linked. That one has a 1.70 SCFM @ 30PSI in the air flow (comparing with 1.25 SCFM @30 PSI for VIAIR 88P) and 1.64 SCFM @30 PSI for VIAIR 300P).
Old 02-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #57

Quote:
NEWYORKHILLBILLY - I looked at the website for this I could not find any air flow spec is on Amazon and the craftsman company website - and that's not a good sign. Price wise - it requires you to buy the battery, air hose, etc. on top. Aside from the expense, more moving parts to lose. It will not be cheaper than what I linked. That one has a 1.70 SCFM @ 30PSI in the air flow (comparing with 1.25 SCFM @30 PSI for VIAIR 88P) and 1.64 SCFM @30 PSI for VIAIR 300P).
The way i understand it it comes with everything except a 20 volt battery. witch would only be needed if you want t run it off battery.It appears the hose and ac and dc plug are included. But your right it does not have any specs for SCFM witch as you said it not a good sign . The model you have chosen might be the best in your case. I like to do some more research and see if there is a quality ac/dc unit available. It seems the viair have a good reputation But as you mentioned no AC/DC unit
Old 02-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The way i understand it it comes with everything except a 20 volt battery. witch would only be needed if you want t run it off battery.It appears the hose and ac and dc plug are included. But your right it does not have any specs for SCFM witch as you said it not a good sign . The model you have chosen might be the best in your case. I like to do some more research and see if there is a quality ac/dc unit available. It seems the viair have a good reputation But as you mentioned no AC/DC unit
You are right. On careful reading - only the battery and charger are to be bought separately.

I too am not pleased that the one I linked has only about 20 reviews. And, the low number is easily manipulated. That said, 110V AC plug is an important requirement for me (12v much less so) and there do not seem to be many choices that cater to it.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #59

Trailer: 2012 E19
Forced to drink beer for 3 days... what a horrible sacrifice.

For good air volume to blow out lines, too bad I can't 'neck down' a leaf blower! 10 seconds, all done?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I blew out my lines on a good sized travel trailer for many years using my large compressor regulated down to 5 psi. Never had a problem getting the water out, I would let it run for a while and eventually get no more water. Never had a freeze problem.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote