portable compressor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 19
portable compressor

Hello all,
We are awaiting our new 19 and I am spending a lot of time trying to put together a "must have" list. One thing that I am considering is a portable compressor to keep tires (both trailer and tow vehicle, a Ram 1500) at proper pressure. Are there any recommendations for specific models? Thread searches have turned up some warnings about overloading a 12v plug, but I haven't found much about which devices people have used successfully.

Thanks in advance,
Bob in Baltimore
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
There are a multitude of choices and you'll find people who like many different brands and types. 12 volt compressors that plug into a 12 volt outlet or connect to the vehicle battery with clips, like the ViAir, work well. The other option is a battery operated compressor, many of these are made by the power tool companies so if you have a particular brand of drills etc. at home they use the same battery packs. They have the advantage of not needing to string power cords and longer air hoses, which can be a challenge reaching your trailer tires in some settings.

Here's an example of a corded compressor: https://smile.amazon.com/VIAIR-00087...%2C186&sr=1-11

And here is a cordless one: https://smile.amazon.com/Milwaukee-M...e%2C179&sr=1-1
Old 02-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The other option is a battery operated compressor, many of these are made by the power tool companies so if you have a particular brand of drills etc. at home they use the same battery packs. They have the advantage of not needing to string power cords and longer air hoses, which can be a challenge reaching your trailer tires in some settings.
That's a useful feature, and you can get the same effect by using a compressor which plugs into a 12V accessory socket and a portable "booster" pack, especially if you carry one of those packs anyway. Some booster packs have the compressor built in; I use one of these (a Stanley), but also have a stronger (higher peak pressure, faster) separate compressor.

I despise the usual "cigar lighter"/accessory 12 V socket system - they make poor contact and are usually junk, on both socket and plug sides. If vehicles and accessories had a better connector, I would certainly chose a power pack, outlets on the outside of the trailer, and plug-in 12V accessories such as a compressor. As it is, I'm never entirely sure if a compressor is going to work when I plug it in. I would trust a compressor with its own battery, as David suggests... if I could be sure that I had charged the battery recently enough.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
What is the best option for compressor that will do dual duty for the truck/trailer tires as well as for blowing out the water lines? I see the type David posted:
- https://smile.amazon.com/Viair-00088..._t1_B00CDWJRZW

Then, there are pancake type compressors that someone suggested on another thread...
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55...2825971&sr=8-5

Any advice on what's best? The 6 gallon one's were kind of heavy - so there is that.

I will have a power outlet in my truck bed. So, the will look for something with a standard AC plug.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I've been very happy with the Milwaukee M12 battery pack inflator. I only tried it because all my other tools are Milwaukee and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it works. And it is so much easier than dealing with the cords and hoses of a plug-in compressor - the air hose is perhaps 20" long, just set the unit down next to the tire, attach it, turn it on and you're set. I have a ViAir that I keep in our other car for emergencies but on road trips with the trailer I prefer the battery unit.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Note that if you wish to use a compressor to blow out the water lines in preparation for winterization a tire inflator will not work. It is recommended for this process that the compressor have a tank.

When buying a tank compressor always test it out in the store. Two reasons: make sure it works but most important is the noise factor. They can be loud.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have the Milwaukee unit also and have had good success with it. I use it to check and adjusts the Escape tires while on the road and I use it on the vehicles we own as well as tires on wheeled power equipment. All the way from pressure washer tires to my mower, boat trailer etc. Very handy. I get dual use out of the batteries as I can use them on the 12 volt Milwaukee caulk gun too. As was previously noted, several other power tool makers offer battery powered compressors.
A friend has the Vair 88 and swears by it.
I consider the inflator, a bottle Jack, my battery pack, my 1/2 inch drive torque wrench, all to be take along “tool kit” items just like a first aid kit, electrical adapters etc.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

Let me explain our specific situation: We will be storing the camper away from home. [Still have to find and rent a storage, but it will not be around the corner.] Also, while we would hope to camp often, gap of multiple weeks between trips is not unlikely. So, we would want to empty the freshwater tank and blow out the lines at the end of each trip - to avoid having the water sit and develop bacteria between camping trips. We will need to do this either as we are leaving the campsite or when we are back at storage.

With that type of usage, am I right in thinking that we are better off getting one pancake type compressor to serve both tire inflation and water line cleanout function?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had a Porter Cable six gallon compressor. I got tired of carrying it from the back shed to the driveway where the trailer is, so I switched to RV anti-freeze and an inexpensive hand pump. I know I'm good when I see pink come out of the taps.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #10

I don’t know the brand but one of my son in laws has a little 110 volt pancake unit. It would do the task of blowing out the lines in an Escape no problem. I’d say the pancake tank might be about a gallon in a size and it came from a store like Home Depot I’m sure. I gave each of the boys a 6 gallon compressor for Christmas a couple years ago. Got tired of lending mine to them and then needing it. The next year a Louisville 6 foot step ladder. This past year they all got a nice apron. Recession has hit. And they are cooking at home a lot. I use the antifreeze with the hand pump for winterizing. Our 21 is an early one with low point drains so I drop the water out using those drains (hot and cold) between trips.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have the Viair 88p, and it will easily inflate 4 reasonably large 4x4 tires from very low sand pressure to highway pressure without needing a break to cool down. If your wheels are over 33", you might want a bigger one, but the 88p can inflate up to 125 PSI and it can run for 25 minutes straight at pressure before needing a cooldown rest. this one draws 20 amps so needs battery clips (and they recommend leaving the engine on so the voltage stays as high as possible).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Thank you! I am thinking that simply to blow out water between trips in the Summer - we don't need to winterize with antifreeze. But, need to push the water out so that it is not sitting...

Iowa Dave - I see pancake units in 3 and 6 gallons. Is 3 gallon sufficient to for both tires and line blow out functions?

John - Would Viair blow out the water line as well? Or, do you use something else for that?
Old 02-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
A stab at your issue

Others will add, but if you are concerned about bacterial or algae growth in your water system in between uses, flush the system BEFORE a trip with a bleach/water mix. Even blowing out will not dry a water line. It will get out a majority of the water. And if you're concerned, drink and cook with water you bring from home, can trust or buy. Mostly, that's what I do.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I have a small tank compressor in my garage, a VIAIR similar to David's in Post #2, and a small Makita compressor powered by the Makita 18 volt batteries that power my drills, leaf blower, etc.

Sure, If I'm home I'll use the tank compressor to inflate tires and blow out my 5.0 water lines. But last fall I actually used the Makita battery powered compressor to blow out my water lines after I drained my fresh water tank and water heater then closed the drains on both. I have one of those little white plastic blow out plugs that Escape threw in, hooked the Makita to it and turned it on. Then I went around the trailer and opened one faucet at a time. Seemed like all the water in the lines sputtered out.

I know that common wisdom says you have to use a tank compressor to blow out water lines. All I can say is the portable worked for me and you might want to try it yourself. Remember, only open one faucet at a time; don't press your luck.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #15

Thank you very much! Very helpful.

HABBERDABBER - You gave me an idea of what it might take to prevent / treat bacterial and algae growth in the water system - daunting at it may seem to this novice! Of course, our logistics around the remote storage will make it a bit challenging, but good to understand the issue.

Hawkeye Ed - Helpful to know this. The one's with tank seem quite heavy. So, it is good to know how the portable one's might be usable to blow out water lines with some care.

Many thanks!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I have a small tank compressor in my garage, a VIAIR similar to David's in Post #2
I'll cast my vote also - for the Vlair 88p. I bought it to pump up trailer and truck tires, and for that purpose it beats the pants off the inexpensive cigarette lighter powered unit that I started with.

I haven't needed it to blow the water lines since I have a 110V tank compressor and use either RV antifreeze or chlorine depending on the season. But I suspect what might work well is a portable air tank that could be filled by the Vlair, then attached to the Escape inlets with the proper adapter. Harbor Freight sells a few styles of tanks that should work if you add your own hose and fittings.
--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #17

The little pancake units even smaller than three gallon will definitely do the job . I have an air pig that I’ve filled with the 6 gallon Porter Cable pancake unit and have filled flat tires with the air pig a number of times. I haven’t used the air tank in a couple years since I got the Milwaukee. I tried to give it to my son In laws but they were too smart for me.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 15A
Harbor Freight often sells a little pancake 3 gallon compressor for $40 on sale (one of their coupons). Hard to go wrong at that price. We have one at our cabin for inflating motorcycle or trailer tires or rafts and such.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you very much! Very helpful.

HABBERDABBER - You gave me an idea of what it might take to prevent / treat bacterial and algae growth in the water system - daunting at it may seem to this novice! Of course, our logistics around the remote storage will make it a bit challenging, but good to understand the issue.

Hawkeye Ed - Helpful to know this. The one's with tank seem quite heavy. So, it is good to know how the portable one's might be usable to blow out water lines with some care.

Many thanks!
Chlorine is the best, safest and most simple disinfectant. How much chlorine depends on the amount of water in your tank and what your goal is. If you are looking to shock the tank (this means a high concentration that you need to flush out) With standard household bleach and a 30 gal tank you need 3 1/3 fluid oz. Run the pump until you smell chlorine at all taps and let sit for 24 hrs, then flush out the tank and lines and refill.

If you are just looking to maintain the water in the tank add a capful or less to a full tank before leaving the camper each time (again run the taps until you get chlorine) and that should take care of it. You can always shock, drain and refill before going camping. Note you probably do not want to leave the shock treatment in tank and pipes for long periods as it will not be good for pumps, hoses and seals.

As others have said blowing out the lines will not get them dry enough to prevent growth. And many compressors actually have some oil and other contaminants in the air. Blowing out your line once a year is probably ok but many times a season may not be so good.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Getting the water out.

A shock treatment is the best path if you want to use your on-board water for consumption. It is mostly impossible to completely drain your fresh water tank. It is translucent, so algae could grow there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote