Possible up-size for our TV??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
And both have integrated brake controller with the tow package and posi rear. The SLT trim has about everything you need. They both need add on mirrors for the 7' 4" wide campers.
My 2019 SLT diesel RWD with some extras cost $39K. Resale value on the newer ones is pretty good.
In my opinion every truck should offer towing mirrors. I love mine for not just towing, but for everyday use as well. Why put a girly mirror on a manly vehicle anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One of the main reasons I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 was the 5.7 Hemi V8
My Ram has a backup camera but I still prefer using my mirrors .
I paid for a lot of electronics on this truck that I don’t use or need but evidently that’s what sells these days .
Nice truck Steve ! Love the looks of the new Ram’s . If I was to ever get a newer truck I want another v8 . Probably a newer Ford . I said newer because the price is nuts for new trucks in my opinion . I have seen trucks a few years old about 1/2 the cost of new . So that would probably be the way we would go . But I want a v8 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In my opinion every truck should offer towing mirrors. I love mine for not just towing, but for everyday use as well. Why put a girly mirror on a manly vehicle anyway.
Agreed. I was disappointed to learn that the tow mirrors for the Tundra were not available for my trim line with the electric folding feature. The stock mirrors fold in with a push of the button which is important to me riding the ferry to Seattle. If I would have gone with the Toyota tow mirrors I would have lost that function. So I have these add on mirrors instead.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...ID=20174033639
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:59 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the mirrors on my 2002 f250 extend when I pull them outwards (easiest done standing next to them and using both hands) and fold back by pulling them back (can be done through the window from the seat).

I *am* thinking of replacing them with these, as they offer a bigger wide angle secondary mirror than mine, these are basically the style from a newer F250 but with the wiring harness adapted to my 2002 style F250
https://www.1aauto.com/ford-mirror-s...e/i/trmrp00018

they are available with power retract and power fold, but I'd need to run more wiring and switches for that and I'm too lazy to do that for something I'll use a few times a year.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Are there any full size trucks around that have V8s ...
To make the searching easier, I'll note that every brand of full-size pickup has a V8 engine available, and since the hitch was mentioned they all have Class 4, 2" or larger hitch receivers at least available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I had to add fancy LED downlighting to the mirrors to get real towing mirrors with my 2018 F 150 STX. I tried to get the power folding & extending versions, but I would have had to upgrade to a version with leather seats, which i dislike.

I agree that the real towing mirrors are far better, towing or not, compared to the standard issue. I couldn't find a supercab with them looking at over 200 F 150's, so I had to order the truck.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I drove beat up , stripped down , no option , rusted out vehicles for 40 years ( Personal and work) )
Now as I passed the 70 mark thankfully those days are over
I looked at new low end , basic options , basic transportation trucks and the cost savings did not have much appeal.
I figure if we are going to enjoy our retirement and travel the country it’s going to be in a vehicle that is safe , comfortable , I enjoy driving , my wife likes riding in and is ready to tow from day one .
Modifying a ten year old vehicle so it’s tow worthy and then having to worry if we are going to make it back home every time we head out has absolutely no allure
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
mods I've made to my 2002 F250 to make tow worthy and reliable.

1) new tires
2) realigned headlights (they were way way too low)
3) upgraded stereo and speakers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
mods I've made to my 2002 F250 to make tow worthy and reliable.

1) new tires
2) realigned headlights (they were way way too low)
3) upgraded stereo and speakers.
John on our 1992 F250 . Tires still good but new Bilsteins shocks front and back . New rubber bushings on end links and a new radio too. Speakers were upgraded to new a few years back . :Love the old girl ! thumb:Pat
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Agreed. I was disappointed to learn that the tow mirrors for the Tundra were not available for my trim line with the electric folding feature. The stock mirrors fold in with a push of the button which is important to me riding the ferry to Seattle. If I would have gone with the Toyota tow mirrors I would have lost that function. So I have these add on mirrors instead.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...ID=20174033639
Those look like decent add-on mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the mirrors on my 2002 f250 extend when I pull them outwards (easiest done standing next to them and using both hands) and fold back by pulling them back (can be done through the window from the seat).
I had a 2012 F250 with those mirrors. They did a great job, but boy do I like the powered ones better for operating.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Ford F150 will work great.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I think your best bet would be the Ford F150 with a 5.0 litre V8. They come with everything you are looking for. Check out their site and look up the back up trailer assist.
Don't listen to what someone might say about old school anything... you get what works best for you.
You're needs are yours and theirs are theirs.. period!
Bert

By the way all new vehicles in Canada anyway come with a back up camera. (Safety item not an option)

Ford's 5.0 V8 is a great engine and their new 7.3 Godzilla V8 gas engine in the Super Duty looks to be really interesting... filling the gap between the standard gas engines and a diesel for those that need a bit more power but not a 1050 ft lbs of diesel torque
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Jim, you are mistaken about the Tundra. All of the 5.7 L models with the tow package have an integrated brake controller. Also a tranny oil cooler, oversize battery, larger alternator, class 2 hitch w/ 7 pin plug and tow mode for the tranny shift points. All models have the back up camera.

Oh, and all Toyota's since the 2018 model year have their "Safety Sense" as standard. Blind spot warning, cross traffic warning, collision avoidance, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control. Paula's 2018 Camry hybrid also has 360 camera view and heads up display on the windshield.
Not to mention the cup of coffee that appears on the screen and asks me to take a break. And take your hands off the wheel and it drifts to the road edge. Hits the white line and drifts back toward the center, hits the centerline and the message comes up “Put your hands back on the wheel!” How do it know?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Sometimes old school is not necessarily the best school. Modern safety tech in new vehicles is great. Backup assist removing some of the stress of trailer towing is a ok. Back cameras are non negotiable in my vehicle world, I retrofitted my 2004 F 150 with one. Lane assist, smart cruise controls, lane departure warnings, what’s not too like? When I was working and could see maps very well, gps kept me traveling longer. This demographic is older in rv world, why wouldn’t we want the lates safety tech..
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Due to a collision with a deer about a week before Christmas last year, I unexpectedly found myself in the market for a new tow vehicle.

I found a lightly used 2018 F150 XLT, with the max tow package on it. That package includes the trailer backup assist, class IV hitch and integrated brake controller (among other things).

It has the 3.5 L V6 ecoboost, so I should get between 20 and 22 mph around town, not sure what to expect when towing. It does have the 5 and a half foot bed.

I have not yet had an opportunity to test it out.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Not a good way to get yer redneck card ........ so glad you are ok and not hurt .........metal can be replaced you cannot !!!!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
John in Santa Cruz got me thinking about moving up to a 3/4 ton truck with plenty of towing capacity and payload . I did a little internet shopping and there are some decent prices on fairly well appointed 2500 series trucks . The discounts on 2500 diesels is not as good as gas powered trucks but that’s a different topic . It would be nice to be able to go camping / traveling for once without having to put the dog , myself or my vehicle on a diet
We’d lose a little fuel mileage but since the truck would not be our daily driver , not a major issue

Plus we would be all set up when and if Escape comes out with their new 23 / 25 footer ??
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
By the way all new vehicles in Canada anyway come with a back up camera. (Safety item not an option)
True.
Transport Canada making back-up cameras mandatory in new cars starting May 2018
A backup camera is only a consideration if buying used, built before mid-2018.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I think your best bet would be the Ford F150 with a 5.0 litre V8. They come with everything you are looking for. Check out their site and look up the back up trailer assist.
Don't listen to what someone might say about old school anything... you get what works best for you.
You're needs are yours and theirs are theirs.. period!
Bert

Ford's 5.0 V8 is a great engine and their new 7.3 Godzilla V8 gas engine in the Super Duty looks to be really interesting... filling the gap between the standard gas engines and a diesel for those that need a bit more power but not a 1050 ft lbs of diesel torque
If we were getting a new Ford the F150 with the 5.0 is our choice too . Pat