Possible up-size for our TV??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Red face Possible up-size for our TV???

Picking up our new Escape 21 this Spring.
Had many fine, easy miles towing our Casita 17 with our Frontier dbl cab, long bed, V6 truck and I really like having the midsize truck.
But..if we find the Frontier is not gonna hack it w the bigger trailer [and we should know by the time we drive/tow/camp our way from Chilliwack to central 10aC in mid-may].. we will upgrade.

Are there any full size trucks around that have V8s and a real [functioning] back-up assist mode and decent tow mode/trailer-brake controller installed? ? I really hate to give up that long bed truck for load capacity, and ease of driving it around town, but the wife really wants a back-up assist mode.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my 'backup assist' is to look in the mirrors.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking Bua

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my 'backup assist' is to look in the mirrors.
John, mine is too, but my wife is left-handed ;-)
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Team

i'm left handed too.

so what does this backup assist do? are you talking about rear view cameras or something?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Look up Ford backup assist.

Turn a little dial on the dash and steer the trailer where you want it to go. My wife loves it. First time she tried it she parallel parked the truck and trailer between two cars. I was impressed.

Me, guess I'm old school, I tend to just use my mirrors like I always have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 AM   #6
Site Team

yeah, i'm too old school for that sorta stuff. I feel automation makes people careless over time. heck, my last truck had a stick shift
Old 12-31-2019, 01:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, i'm too old school for that sorta stuff.
I'm old enough that my next vehicle ( if I get one ) will have all the driver assists that are available. I want a backup camera for parallel parking, I want early warning for anything that's in proximity. I want a driver seat that will wake me up if I take a nap on the #1 from Vancouver to Chilliwack.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm old enough that my next vehicle ( if I get one ) will have all the driver assists that are available. I want a backup camera for parallel parking, I want early warning for anything that's in proximity. I want a driver seat that will wake me up if I take a nap on the #1 from Vancouver to Chilliwack.
Me too Glenn ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm a recently retired computer systems engineer, worked in the industry for 45 years.... I don't *trust* all that stuff. Murphy is real.

I also like semi-vintage cars... this is my summer daily driver... a 1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet...

This winter, I'm driving our spare 'beater' car because it runs great and is relatively new inside, and the convertible has some water leaks I've not sorted out so its parked in a carport with a battery tender for the winter... this beater is a low mileage 1990 260E that has dents on every panel due to its original owner being a little old lady in Carmel who lost her license, and left it parked til she died and a friend inherited, but couldn't fix a stumble/stall, so gave it to me to sort. It runs perfectly now, totally reliable. the 2.6L I6 is kinda gutless behind the 4 speed slushbox, but its a very comfortable ride, quiet and smooth, with great handling and braking, no drama in emergency conditions.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra, Chevrolet and GMC all have V-8 engines and rear tailgate camera for hook up assistance as well as tow mode automatics. Ram offers the brake controller option, Toyota does not. Another important item is the full sized matching spare wheel/tire, my Ram did not come with one so I would make that option as part of the "deal". There are a lot of 2019 good deals right now on these trucks.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Time moves on. There is a reason Ford has the V6 twin turbo 3.5 & 2.7's. Dodge and Toyota will be releasing them in the near future. The V8 IS going away in 1/2 and soon 3/4 ton trucks. A couple of reasons: better fuel economy, and a wider torque curve. I know of a couple of recent V8's that have blown and am sure there are V6 turbos that have also. Today's engines and electronics are much more reliable than those in the past. Ford's V8's are heavily discounted for a reason.

Just because I'm 70 doesn't mean I'll only go with the old tried and true. If that was the case I'd still be camping in my 62 VW Westfalia with a 36 hp engine.

For disclosure, we're on our second F150 with a 3.5 EcoBoost engine. Couldn't wait for Toyota or Dodge's versions.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I opened this thread wondering what an up sized television was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Look up Ford backup assist.

Turn a little dial on the dash and steer the trailer where you want it to go. My wife loves it. First time she tried it she parallel parked the truck and trailer between two cars. I was impressed.

Me, guess I'm old school, I tend to just use my mirrors like I always have.

Ron
I regularly parallel park towing trailers as it is needed to work in residential areas as I have. The mirrors work great for this along with an understanding of what you are attempting.

My point is that I feel a lot of these new techno devices could see folks using them more instead of learning and understanding the methods to achieve them normally. I guess I just might be an old school victim too. Mirrors work just great, I think I will stick with them.

Lisa can reverse with a trailer under my guidance not too bad at all, but with mirrors only, well...........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Make sure you perform due diligence when purchasing your truck. Our new F150 has BLIS (blind spot) and Pro Trailer Backup Assist. Despite my salesman promoting BLIS and Pro Trailer Backup Assist we found out they do NOT work with 5th wheels. He knew we have a 5th wheel.

He also showed me auto perpendicular parking with a Ford Edge, just to find out it is turned off in their 1/2 ton trucks. After a week of complaints we settled on a $600 check from the dealer and now their sales staff knows these features don't work with 5th wheels or trucks.

We did get the 360 degree camera that works front and rear, so really don't need the perpendicular parking. Using Forscan I can turn on perpendicular parking, but it's probably off for a reason. I will be using Forscan to turn on other items though, but that's another topic.

Oh well, it's probably the last truck we'll purchase.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
One of the main reasons I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 was the 5.7 Hemi V8
My Ram has a backup camera but I still prefer using my mirrors .
I paid for a lot of electronics on this truck that I don’t use or need but evidently that’s what sells these days .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
My 1998 Ram 5.9 V8 had 265 horsepower and a four speed overdrive transmission. My 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi has 395 horsepower, an 8 speed transmission, and gets significantly better gas mileage...still happy with a V8, they have improved considerably over the years and make a great tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
1999.jpg   2019.jpg  
Old 12-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra, Chevrolet and GMC all have V-8 engines and rear tailgate camera for hook up assistance as well as tow mode automatics. Ram offers the brake controller option, Toyota does not. Another important item is the full sized matching spare wheel/tire, my Ram did not come with one so I would make that option as part of the "deal". There are a lot of 2019 good deals right now on these trucks.
Jim, you are mistaken about the Tundra. All of the 5.7 L models with the tow package have an integrated brake controller. Also a tranny oil cooler, oversize battery, larger alternator, class 2 hitch w/ 7 pin plug and tow mode for the tranny shift points. All models have the back up camera.

Oh, and all Toyota's since the 2018 model year have their "Safety Sense" as standard. Blind spot warning, cross traffic warning, collision avoidance, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control. Paula's 2018 Camry hybrid also has 360 camera view and heads up display on the windshield.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Jim, you are mistaken about the Tundra. All of the 5.7 L models with the tow package have an integrated brake controller, a tranny oil cooler, oversize battery, larger alternator, class 2 hitch w/ 7 pin plug and tow mode for the tranny shift points. All models have the back up camera.
Good to know, when looking at the pictures on line at both Tundra and Tacoma with tow package, the brake controller was not mentioned.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #18

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Jim, you are mistaken about the Tundra. All of the 5.7 L models with the tow package have an integrated brake controller. Also a tranny oil cooler, oversize battery, larger alternator, class 2 hitch w/ 7 pin plug and tow mode for the tranny shift points. All models have the back up camera.

Oh, and all Toyota's since the 2018 model year have their "Safety Sense" as standard. Blind spot warning, cross traffic warning, collision avoidance, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control. Paula's 2018 Camry hybrid also has 360 camera view and heads up display on the windshield.
Just for clarity sake, the Tundra also has a class 4 hitch when equipped with the 5.7l.....
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Towing tests for GM twins

And both have integrated brake controller with the tow package and posi rear. The SLT trim has about everything you need. They both need add on mirrors for the 7' 4" wide campers.
My 2019 SLT diesel RWD with some extras cost $39K. Resale value on the newer ones is pretty good.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Good to know, when looking at the pictures on line at both Tundra and Tacoma with tow package, the brake controller was not mentioned.
Only the Tundra has the integrated brake controller. And as Shawn mentions above, a class IV hitch, not two as I miss-stated.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote