Power Mover on a 21' with an Anderson Hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Power Mover on a 21' with an Anderson Hitch?

Hello,
I am contemplating a Power Mover AC5 electric trailer dolly to move my 21' in and out of my driveway. In order to use this dolly, a bracket needs to be installed on one side of the "A" part of the frame. So, I am asking if any of you new 21' owners using an Anderson hitch would be willing to send me a photo of the front part of your frame. I will have the front storage box so if you have one also, all the better. Of course if any if you already has a Power Mover AC5 it would be wonderful to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Fletch Dobbs
Escape 21', May. 27, 2014
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some power movers have an adapter for the tongue jack, other have one for the trailer ball. If you want to add yet another frame attachment in addition with the Andersen, you may be running out of room. You can easily remove the Andersen if you have to attach something, but that seems like a PITA unless you can use one of the other attachment points I mentioned.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that the dedicated bracket on the tongue is a pain, but it is fundamentally different from using the coupler, and has advantages in mover design. At least one style of bracket for the AC-5 (there appear to be at least two styles) looks like it could go ahead of or behind the WD system brackets: although ahead would put the mover in conflict with the Andersen chain (or conventional WD spring bar) location, that doesn't matter because the chain (or bar) is not there when the mover is used.

I think the question is whether or not there is any real estate left between the propane tanks, WD brackets, storage box, and whatever else might be on the tongue. Also, the further back (from the coupler) the mover bracket is attached, the more traction the mover will have (due to increased load carried by the mover.

With any dolly, I would want to check that I can swing the dolly 90 degrees each way from straight to manoeuver without hitting stuff such as the tongue jack with any part of the dolly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
However this works out, I hope you'll post some pictures and observations as you go along. I may be in need of a similar setup for our 19.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
There are some pictures of the hitch set up on this Shutterfly page that might help.
https://escape2014camping.shutterfly.com/115/
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
HI Fletch,

If you want to drop by and see a live escape 21 we are very close to you.

What is the thought behind the need for the AC5? Does your planned storage location require it? We are first time trailer owners and I have been very surprised as to the easy to back and maneuver the Escape 21.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I use my Kubota Tractor to move my trailers around.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
HI Fletch,

If you want to drop by and see a live escape 21 we are very close to you.

What is the thought behind the need for the AC5? Does your planned storage location require it? We are first time trailer owners and I have been very surprised as to the easy to back and maneuver the Escape 21.
Hello 7th Heaven,

Thanks for the offer to see your 21. My wife and I took a short vacation last fall to Chilliwack and probably drove Kim and Tammy crazy as we spent most of an afternoon walking back and forth between the 19' and 21'. I know what we're getting 5 weeks from now! But thanks very much for the offer.

We live on the corner of two fairly busy, narrow streets and people drive around our blind corner pretty fast...and I really wish they would stop that. Short of that, I'd like to be sure I get into the driveway and out of it hopefully in one pass. Also, I'd like to pull the trailer in to park long term, as one small step to deter theft. Also, pulling in front first puts the entry door at easy access. The other way it would open toward a 6' fence.

I have been in contact with Hotfishtacos - Steve, who has purchased exactly the model power mover I am considering. He uses it with his 19' and says it works great. So I am am now probably 98% there. Just need to place an order now.

Thanks for the reply. We'll be joining the CA group here presently. :-)

Fletch Dobbs
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote