Problem and solution for 5th wheel owners - hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Problem and solution for 5th wheel owners - hitch

Just spent four days camping. Hooked up easy/peasy... got to the park. Chaulked, level, landing gear down, ready to disconnect.

Pulled on the handle of the hitch, half of it came off in my hand! The jaws were sorta locked open. Not really safely hitched (can't tow!) and jammed to the point I couldn't unhitch.

I have an ETI-outsourced hitch in the bed of my truck. Happy with it (works as designed), however it didn't come with any users manual. I don't really know about the maintenance issues... guess I'd better find out.

Fortunately, my buds Dave&Kathie were also camping in the site next to me. Dave came over to help. The cotter pin holding the two pieces together were laying in the bed of the truck. Nothing wrong with it really, a bit rusty... jammed it back in to get both pieces back together, but the hitch was still jammed. Dave brought over a new (right size) cotter pin and WD-40. Both pieces back together and the handle working smoothly.

I didn't bother to find out if I could unhitch. Ten Forward was level, to me that's all that mattered.

When I got home, the handle moved as smooth as butter. Unhitched without any problems.

BUT, if you have a 5th wheel hitch of any brand, look it over. If yours is like mine, have extra cotter pins in your tool box and a lubricate, whether WD-40 or a silicone spray. I'm buying both before I hook up again. Thank goodness I wasn't boondocking by myself, I don't know what I would have done.

Lessons learned.

Thanks Dave!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't have cotter pins on the B&W but adding a couple spare nuts and bolts in with the tools is a good idea, hadn't thought of a small can of penetrating oil, thanks for the heads up.

This is what I was told as far as maintenance...

Long time fifth wheelers, "Put grease on the jaws and penetrating oil on the jaw pins (the vertical pins on the top of the head)in the spring".

Per the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Just bought 2014 TA and having hitch installed soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just spent four days camping. Hooked up easy/peasy... got to the park. Chaulked, level, landing gear down, ready to disconnect.

Pulled on the handle of the hitch, half of it came off in my hand! The jaws were sorta locked open. Not really safely hitched (can't tow!) and jammed to the point I couldn't unhitch.

I have an ETI-outsourced hitch in the bed of my truck. Happy with it (works as designed), however it didn't come with any users manual. I don't really know about the maintenance issues... guess I'd better find out.

Fortunately, my buds Dave&Kathie were also camping in the site next to me. Dave came over to help. The cotter pin holding the two pieces together were laying in the bed of the truck. Nothing wrong with it really, a bit rusty... jammed it back in to get both pieces back together, but the hitch was still jammed. Dave brought over a new (right size) cotter pin and WD-40. Both pieces back together and the handle working smoothly.

I didn't bother to find out if I could unhitch. Ten Forward was level, to me that's all that mattered.

When I got home, the handle moved as smooth as butter. Unhitched without any problems.

BUT, if you have a 5th wheel hitch of any brand, look it over. If yours is like mine, have extra cotter pins in your tool box and a lubricate, whether WD-40 or a silicone spray. I'm buying both before I hook up again. Thank goodness I wasn't boondocking by myself, I don't know what I would have done.

Lessons learned.

Thanks Dave!

Glad all worked out well.

We just bought a 2014 5.0 TA and are about to have the same hitch installed in FL, as soon as we drop off our soon to be former Scamp 19. Attended Scamp Camp in Sebring and left yesterday, on our way to sell our Scamp. Had no intention of selling when we arrived, but saw the TA on the forum and the rest is becoming history.

Donna, do you have any other tips for new TA owners?

Thanks,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Here is one tip. Buy a small lock to lock the handle in place on your fifth wheel hitch. Stops the possibility of it popping out. Also have heard stories about kids pulling it out and then watching ur predicament develope as u start to drive away.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Ken is right, you need a lock for the hitch. Buy a good one. When Dennis helped me hook up in Sumas he told me to not use the supplied lock from the company that put the hitch in the truck. It is a cheapy and could very possibly not unlock. He recommended a Master lock or other equal brand. Just need to make certain it fits in the holes. However that cheap lock is all I had, so I used it. Didn't lock it down though. Just twisted it around so it appeared locked. Worked.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
From a previous discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I checked the instructions for the Reese 16K Fifth Wheel, and this is what it says about lubrication each trip:
Quote:
1. Lubricate skid plate surface of the hitch (see figure on cover of Manual) with automotive type chassis grease or use a plastic lube plate to provide a lubricated surface. Use engine oil to lubricate pivot points of moving parts within the hitch.
2. Plastic lube plates (Reese No. 74295) can be used to avoid messy grease. The plastic lube plate must not exceed 3/16 of an inch in thickness to ensure hitch will operate properly. Lube plates must be 10 inches in diameter or larger to properly distribute king pin weight.
I didn't find any reference to greasing the pin or jaw surfaces, so I guess it isn't needed.
The link still works, so if I have picked the right model, now you have the manual... which must have been misplaced or discarded during installation. It shows only one cotter pin, but there are lots of bolts.

It would make sense to me to lubricate sliding parts, but taking care not to get them gummed up with dirt-filled grease.

If a cotter pin came out, it was either broken (perhaps due to rust) or had never been installed correctly. I think either case calls for a complete examination of the mechanism for the condition of pins and fasteners.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
I definitely recommend getting a nylon hitch plate. We towed a while without one and the hitch was very noisy. The plate made a huge difference.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome David, to our Escape world, you got a nice unit there, it was viewed here in Pennsylvania at the mini Escape rally in September, real nice set up.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Lessons learned.

Thanks Dave!
Your welcome Donna. Glad Dave could figure it out and had the parts. Although, we might have been able to find them at the Cannon Beach Hardware and Public House affectionately know by locals as the 'Screw and Brew'. Fun camp out. And thanks to Brian if that's the right manual, that should be helpful!
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
CBRV.JPG  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
.... the Cannon Beach Hardware and Public House affectionately know by locals as the 'Screw and Brew'.
It would be interesting if they reversed the order of the locals name.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It would be interesting if they reversed the order of the locals name.
Thinking of a popular Jimmy Buffett song..........
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Thinking of a popular Jimmy Buffett song..........
LOL Exactly!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Talking

I can't stop laughing!
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks Bob for the pic and Brian for the link to the manual. I think I've got what I need now.