Problems towing a 19 0r 21 with a Toyota Highlander? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 19'
Thank you for the responses. We tried out a Tundra again and found it to be spacious and comfortable, easy to drive and maneuver. We pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a TRD sport. Nice to be at a point in life where these decisions are somewhat comfortable. It seems a wise decision given we are a family of five, the kids are getting bigger and we are starting to carry bikes. The highlander has been great and we will be keeping it as a people mover.

Eric
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric & El View Post
Thank you for the responses. We tried out a Tundra again and found it to be spacious and comfortable, easy to drive and maneuver. We pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a TRD sport. Nice to be at a point in life where these decisions are somewhat comfortable. It seems a wise decision given we are a family of five, the kids are getting bigger and we are starting to carry bikes. The highlander has been great and we will be keeping it as a people mover.

Eric
That's exciting! You will enjoy towing with the Tundra. We added a Lomax folding tonneau hard cover (https://www.agricover.com/lomax/) and it really makes packing and moving between locations a breeze.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 19
Thanks, all for the feedback. After a LOT of discussion and research we have bought a 2017 Ram 1500 8 cyl with 4 wheel drive. The decision ultimately came down to my preference to be overpowered rather than risk being underpowered in some situation. We tested the truck with a rented 18' trailer that weighs very nearly the same as our 19 (which we pick up in October) and found that even in the mountains of western Maryland we had ample power. Of course, the mileage is not great...
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 E19
Well, you couldn't really Ram around the country with a Highlander...

I'm sure it will do a good job of towing for you.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another satisfied Ram owner............
Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
..... Of course, the mileage is not great...
You wouldn't get better mileage with a 3.5 V6 from Toyota or Honda either when towing.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
We are in the process of buying the 2022 Highlander AWD with tow package as our daily driver and occasional tow vehicle for our Escape 19’.

From the factory, Toyota’s tow package includes the hitch and only the 4-pin adapter. How did y’all get the 7-pin adapter installed? Did you buy the 7-pin adapter from Toyota or go aftermarket? If aftermarket, which brand? Self installed?

Thanks in advance!
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 with Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
We are in the process of buying the 2022 Highlander AWD with tow package as our daily driver and occasional tow vehicle for our Escape 19’.

From the factory, Toyota’s tow package includes the hitch and only the 4-pin adapter. How did y’all get the 7-pin adapter installed? Did you buy the 7-pin adapter from Toyota or go aftermarket? If aftermarket, which brand? Self installed?

Thanks in advance!
I am shocked that Toyota still have not made the seven pin available for the Highlander when they promote towing capacity that makes such mandatory for electric brakes. We got our Highlander when the edition had just changed and thought that this would be addressed. Having said that installing it was a major pain. I had the dealer install the hitch and four pin so I would have the wires to the lights. Then I bought a seven pin unit and used these wires plus installed the brake and power wires myself. It has been 4 years so I cannot remember where I got the adapter, but it may have been the one that is used in the 4Runner or Tundra so that it would use the bolt holes on the factory hitch. Running the correct gauge wires to the front for the brake for activation, and for the battery and installing a battery cutoff requires some knowledge. I could not find find a hitch installer that I had confidence in and the dealer was no help even in recommending one. You can find out where to attach these wires from Youtube and Forums as I did if you have to do it yourself.
After three years towing our 19 I will say that it is just OK. We only tow occasionally and do not want a bigger vehicle so it is a reasonable compromise for us. If we were towing regularly I would want a larger vehicle.
sailnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
This is the 7 Pin kit I installed on my 2017 Highlander W/O factory tow package, I installed a Toyota hitch and this wiring harness myself. Call Tekonsha, they can answer any questions about this kit (22119) and your Highlander.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-TEKO.../dp/B07D4SFQJ7
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When we bought our first Highlander we did not have a travel trailer. I had a hitch installed and an aftermarket 4 pin. Then we bought the 2010’19 and I had a combo 7 and 4 pin installed (Hoppy). And a Curt brake controller. Worked well once we got it all positioned correctly. 180,000 miles later we bought the 2018 XLE AWD at and our 2017 21 foot true classic. When I cut the deal at the Toyota dealership I included the complete readiness to tow as part of the price. The service manager, parts guy and tech did an excellent job. The salesman, it turned out, took their willingness to install the components as a simple job. It was not. The salesman cried a little bit we he figured out the shop cost. I smiled and I promised him he would not sell me a third Highlander or any Toyota. I will buy from that dealership but not from him. The 2018 has been excellent for 90,000 miles. I really like the way it rides, the 295 HP is plenty for the way this old man drives and the shiftable 8 speed transmission is very good towing in the mountains. I like all the safety features too. That’s been our experience.
Shown below, three good looking Highlanders pulling three 21 classics by three good looking guys with three good looking ladies and two dogs.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
EA562A2F-E6F5-4C35-A953-FD072CA15F1D.jpg  
Old 12-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
You will enjoy towing with the Tundra. We added a Lomax folding tonneau hard cover (https://www.agricover.com/lomax/) and it really makes packing and moving between locations a breeze.

We have a similar same setup and, after having a shell on our other Tundra, find the BAKFlip so much nicer for getting things into and out of the truck bed. One other thing we have is the HitchMate (https://www.hitchmate.com/) which also helps reaching those far corners.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #52

Thanks for sharing the picture and story! That’s the same dark blue Highlander color we have on order. Dealer estimated anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to get delivery. So needless to say I have plenty of time to do the homework. My sales guy also thinks it’s a simple plug and play. With the lack of inventory, I don’t think there’s enough leverage on my side to work a deal like yours to include the installation of the 7-pin. Although he did quote me $106 for the 7-pin adapter from the parts department.

Great to hear that it’s a proven combo! X3
Also gives us confidence our 19’ can be towed with additional passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When we bought our first Highlander we did not have a travel trailer. I had a hitch installed and an aftermarket 4 pin. Then we bought the 2010’19 and I had a combo 7 and 4 pin installed (Hoppy). And a Curt brake controller. Worked well once we got it all positioned correctly. 180,000 miles later we bought the 2018 XLE AWD at and our 2017 21 foot true classic. When I cut the deal at the Toyota dealership I included the complete readiness to tow as part of the price. The service manager, parts guy and tech did an excellent job. The salesman, it turned out, took their willingness to install the components as a simple job. It was not. The salesman cried a little bit we he figured out the shop cost. I smiled and I promised him he would not sell me a third Highlander or any Toyota. I will buy from that dealership but not from him. The 2018 has been excellent for 90,000 miles. I really like the way it rides, the 295 HP is plenty for the way this old man drives and the shiftable 8 speed transmission is very good towing in the mountains. I like all the safety features too. That’s been our experience.
Shown below, three good looking Highlanders pulling three 21 classics by three good looking guys with three good looking ladies and two dogs.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #53

Thank you 🙏

Why did you decide to install the Toyota hitch yourself? From the Toyota factory, it costs $699 to get the hitch and the 4-pin.

Are you using the Tekonsha wireless RF brake controller with this wiring harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
This is the 7 Pin kit I installed on my 2017 Highlander W/O factory tow package, I installed a Toyota hitch and this wiring harness myself. Call Tekonsha, they can answer any questions about this kit (22119) and your Highlander.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-TEKO.../dp/B07D4SFQJ7
Eddie
Old 12-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Notes

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the picture and story! That’s the same dark blue Highlander color we have on order. Dealer estimated anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to get delivery. So needless to say I have plenty of time to do the homework. My sales guy also thinks it’s a simple plug and play. With the lack of inventory, I don’t think there’s enough leverage on my side to work a deal like yours to include the installation of the 7-pin. Although he did quote me $106 for the 7-pin adapter from the parts department.

Great to hear that it’s a proven combo! X3
Also gives us confidence our 19’ can be towed with additional passengers
The service guys in Iowa city have taken good care of me for several years. When I left the Highlander for the install they predicted it would be ready on a Friday. They called Friday and said it wasn’t quite right and could I wait till Monday I have another vehicle so it was no problem to wait over the weekend. They called mid day on Monday and I went down to pick the vehicle up. The tech came out to show me exactly where he had put in the circuit breakers, how he had run the wiring inside as opposed to under the vehicle (exterior). The parts guy showed me his little folder that had the components listed that they had used and how they did the job to speed things up the next time. I got the instructions for the P-3 controller and the box it came in. I was happy with the job they did and relieved that I didn’t have to do it myself.

As it was part of the overall deal, just like the extra mats, door guards, etc I never “missed the money”. That was 3 1/2 years ago and it’s still a working fine. Just used the 4 pin with my utility trailer yesterday. The plug and play has to be the real way to go in my way of thinking. My daughter’s Pathfinder came with everything but the brake controller
and she and her husband plugged that in and secured it in less than 30 minutes with no problems.

You’ll do fine with your new rig. The Covid knocked out travel back so severely that I’m 30,000 miles behind my first two years pace for travel.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #55

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Quote:
Thank you 🙏

Why did you decide to install the Toyota hitch yourself? From the Toyota factory, it costs $699 to get the hitch and the 4-pin.

Are you using the Tekonsha wireless RF brake controller with this wiring harness?
I bought my car used with no hitch. The Toyota hitch looks better and sets higher than the aftermarket hitches. Online and in the Toyota parts dept. the Toyota hitch costs about $400. The hitch is a fairly easy install, about one hour. Working alone it took about 4-5 hours to install the wiring harness. Not an easy job for a novice. I use a P-3 hard wired brake controller. Subaru (Outback) and Toyota does not make it easy to use 7 pin trailer plugs.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Subaru (Outback) and Toyota does not make it easy to use 7 pin trailer plugs.
Depends on the model. It’s a shame that Toyota doesn’t wire the Highlander like the 4Runner. 7 pin at the rear is stock and plug pigtail into the harness under dash for brake controller. Really simple.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:24 AM   #57

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Listen to your Mechanic.

I had a 2017 4Runner to tow an 2007 Escape 17B. It towed great around the Great Lakes but west of Denver was a different story. Through Colorado, Utah we were towing in third and forth. Around Ontario, never ever third gear. It took second to get up over Loveland Pass.

About the numbers. My 2020 19 is listed at 3150lbs. Going accross the CAT scales at the truck stop, the trailer weighed about 3900lbs partially loaded. Weight included full propane, battery, empty water, black and grey, full kitchen gear, no food, some linens and 2 bikes on the back. So for my 19, I would be beyond the capactiy of the Highlander fully loaded with 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

We now have a 2020 Escape 19 and tow it with a 2017 Tundra 5.7L. Your going to say overkill. Probably, but after a 600 mile tow, I'm not nervous and mentally drained. The trucks the boss, no tail wagging the dog.

An Escape 21 and a Highlander, would I? I might tow a 19 but not a 21. Many forum members have towed a 21 with a mid size truck or SUV, but many end up with a full size pickup.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We've towed our 2018 Escape 19'er with our 2018 Highlander 40,000 miles with no problem. The trailer's all up weight is 4,500#.

Two caveats tho'... I drive very conservatively. Generally 60 mph on the freeways and maybe even 5 mph "under" on the two lane roads. But hey... I've got my "home" with me so why rush?

I also added a ScanGauge to monitor the tranny temperature & gear the tranny is actually in. And when I saw that pulling the trailer up some of our Colorado mountain passes heated up the tranny a bit, I had a tranny cooler added. I also shift the tranny myself before it would otherwise need to do a "hard shift" under power. All's happy.
EscapeBoulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
We've towed our 2018 Escape 19'er with our 2018 Highlander 40,000 miles with no problem. The trailer's all up weight is 4,500#.

Two caveats tho'... I drive very conservatively. Generally 60 mph on the freeways and maybe even 5 mph "under" on the two lane roads. But hey... I've got my "home" with me so why rush?

I also added a ScanGauge to monitor the tranny temperature & gear the tranny is actually in. And when I saw that pulling the trailer up some of our Colorado mountain passes heated up the tranny a bit, I had a tranny cooler added. I also shift the tranny myself before it would otherwise need to do a "hard shift" under power. All's happy.
After towing my Escape 19er with a V8 Silverado, and 370hp V8 Ford F150, all over Canada and the US for 5 years I recently switched to a 4Runner 4wd. Long story why. After a trip this year from one end of Colorado to the other I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed. I also installed tranny cooler, scan gauge, in addition to Timbren bump stops. Had to use manual shifting over the long passes but tranny temp stayed well within spec. Sure, it had to work but so did my V8 half tons. I have no regrets purchasing the 4Runner.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post

Very smart monitoring system you have! Do you mind posting a picture of the transmission temp gauge you have added? How much was the transmission cooler upgrade?

Tags
highlander, towing