Pull 5.0 TA with a 2005/06 Tundra? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Pull 5.0 TA with a 2005/06 Tundra?

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and need to see if any of you have towed a 5.0 with an "older" Tundra or have thoughts on how one would match up with a 5.0 TA (ordered recently).
I currently own a 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with tow package, but feel it would be very close to the payload limit pulling a 5.0. I definitely want to stick with Toyota and it looks like a 2005 or 2006 might "fit the bill". I don't care too much for the super large newer Tundra (bigger starting in 2007), and thought if I could find a low mileage, excellent condition 2005 or 2006 Tundra Limited 4x4 double cab, it could be a definite consideration.
The "older" Tundra has the advantage over the Tacoma in that it has a 6 foot 4 inch bed, V8 (for our Colorado mountains) and a higher payload (300-400 lbs.) more than the Tacoma.
I'm I on the right track if I'd like to stick with Toyota?
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have a 2010 Ford 2WD which I bought and used in Dallas. I recently retired and moved back to my home in Colorado. I probably won't drive it much in snow and plan on putting a second 100K miles on it pulling a 5.0 TA. Seems like with the pin weight of the fifth wheel I don't really need the 4X4 option and I plan to take it to the mountains in winter. I will probably invest in 18 inch wheels with good winter tires though. (Mine came with 20 inch aluminum wheels)

In 2010 I tried to buy a Tundra but the dealers didn't seem interested in lowering the price much. Ford dealers were anxious to sell and their lots were full of trucks so I got a Lariat with the HD Tow package for $11,000 off the sticker price. Way less than any Tundra and better options. I have 105K miles on it and haven't needed to change the brake pads or do any major maintenance other than change the fluids.

moral: While looking for a good used Tundra don't overlook a newer and lower mileage F 150 if it is significantly cheaper. Both will easily tow a 5.0 TA.

I have a short bed SCREW Cab so I am planning to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch as it is a lot lighter weight. I'm hoping that by next year they will have an aluminum version but the steel is fine. I'll get my 5.0 TA in July/Aug. 2017.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Am I on the right track if I'd like to stick with Toyota?
I'd say no but I'm biased - a Ford guy.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
As SFDavis50 says don't overlook a later model Ford. Two years ago I bought a 2010 2wd F150 to tow our new to us 2007 5.0. We had pretty good luck with it but took advantage of good trade in value and great discount on a 2015 this past April to buy a new 4wd F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost.

BTW we did look seriously at buying a used fully loaded Ltd 2005 Tundra two years ago but the price for what we'd get (high mileage, one DVD screen kaput) we felt not worth it. Having had a Ranger back in '92, thought I'd try the F150 and so far glad we did.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
moral: While looking for a good used Tundra don't overlook a newer and lower mileage F 150 if it is significantly cheaper. Both will easily tow a 5.0 TA.

I have a short bed SCREW Cab so I am planning to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch as it is a lot lighter weight. I'm hoping that by next year they will have an aluminum version but the steel is fine. I'll get my 5.0 TA in July/Aug. 2017.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I might consider a Ford F150, but wish they came with a 6 foot plus bed in the crew cab version.
The good thing about an older Tundra is that it comes in a "double cab", has the 6 foot plus bed and still will fit in my garage.
Also, I'm just so used to not ever doing anything to my Tacoma except oil changes. Our family was always a Ford family, so I'm not closed to the idea, but Toyotas are just so trouble free that it would take a bit of convincing to go back to Ford.
Thanks again!
P.S. Our 5.0 TA will be ready August next year, so I guess I have time to get more input and do more research on trucks.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
As SFDavis50 says don't overlook a later model Ford. Two years ago I bought a 2010 2wd F150 to tow our new to us 2007 5.0. We had pretty good luck with it but took advantage of good trade in value and great discount on a 2015 this past April to buy a new 4wd F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost.

BTW we did look seriously at buying a used fully loaded Ltd 2005 Tundra two years ago but the price for what we'd get (high mileage, one DVD screen kaput) we felt not worth it. Having had a Ranger back in '92, thought I'd try the F150 and so far glad we did.

Adrian
Thanks, Adrian. I'll try to keep an open mind and check out the Ford 150 also.
Happy travels!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'll stay out of the brand wars... after all, religious discussions are taboo in these forums.

Quote:
The "older" Tundra has the advantage over the Tacoma in that it has a 6 foot 4 inch bed, V8 (for our Colorado mountains) and a higher payload (300-400 lbs.) more than the Tacoma.
The Tundra does have capacity and capability advantages over a Tacoma, for this purpose; however, the box length is still an issue.

Quote:
The good thing about an older Tundra is that it comes in a "double cab", has the 6 foot plus bed...
Yes, the bed is a good length; however, an unusually high proportion of the length is behind the axle. For fifth-wheel towing the key is the distance from the back of the cab to where you can mount the hitch. With commercially available hitch mounting systems the pin ends up close to the rear axle, and that axle is further forward (less space to cab) than you would expect with a typical pickup truck with the same length of bed.

At least a couple of forum members are towing Escape fifth-wheels with the second-generation Tundra, but there are substantial differences to the first generation. For a relevant and recent discussion, see
First generation Tundra.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'll stay out of the brand wars... after all, religious discussions are taboo in these forums. .
Yes, but I have seen the light! [emoji23]
Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:

At least a couple of forum members are towing Escape fifth-wheels with the second-generation Tundra, but there are substantial differences to the first generation. For a relevant and recent discussion, see
First generation Tundra.
Thanks so much! This link to "First generation Tundra" is exactly the information I was hoping to find! It will help me make a more informed decision. Appreciate it!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:

The Tundra does have capacity and capability advantages over a Tacoma, for this purpose; however, the box length is still an issue.

Yes, the bed is a good length; however, an unusually high proportion of the length is behind the axle. For fifth-wheel towing the key is the distance from the back of the cab to where you can mount the hitch. With commercially available hitch mounting systems the pin ends up close to the rear axle, and that axle is further forward (less space to cab) than you would expect with a typical pickup truck with the same length of bed.

First generation Tundra.
Hi Brian - OK, if I'm getting it from the thread, even though the first generation Tundra has the longer 6 foot plus bed, it really doesn't help in regard to the hitch position since the "extra length" is behind the axel. That would mean you'd pretty much have a hitch installation similar to that of a 5.5 foot bed.
That doesn't preclude the first generation Tundra from being used as a 5th wheel hauler, just that the longer bed is not really an advantage, correct?
Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Brian - OK, if I'm getting it from the thread, even though the first generation Tundra has the longer 6 foot plus bed, it really doesn't help in regard to the hitch position since the "extra length" is behind the axel. That would mean you'd pretty much have a hitch installation similar to that of a 5.5 foot bed.
That doesn't preclude the first generation Tundra from being used as a 5th wheel hauler, just that the longer bed is not really an advantage, correct?
Exactly - it gives you more space to carry stuff in the bed, but is not an advantage for towing the fifth-wheel trailer, compared to other brands with a 5.5' bed.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

Trailer: Sold 5.0TA
I was going to tow the 5.0ta with the first generation Tundra but it is an access cab. The position of the hitch on dead center rear axle gives you plenty of room. So you may want to consider the access cab model. Because of life's little interruption I am now waiting until 2018 to order another.
Mel0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel0422 View Post
I was going to tow the 5.0ta with the first generation Tundra but it is an access cab. The position of the hitch on dead center rear axle gives you plenty of room. So you may want to consider the access cab model.
I don't know how this would work: according to the specs posted by Edmunds, the 2005 (as an example) Tundra Access Cab with 6 foot bed has a 128.3" wheelbase, while the Double Cab with the same box has a 140.5" wheelbase - the one foot of difference is the cab, so the two have the same box, and the same spacing from cab to box.

An 8-foot box was available, but only with the regular cab; it was on the same 128.3" wheelbase as the double cab, with all of the extra space due to the shorter cab appearing as extra box length and extra cab-to-axle clearance.

Was there an access cab with 8-foot box, or an access cab with 6-foot box and longer wheelbase, missed in the Edmunds specs?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't know how this would work: according to the specs posted by Edmunds, the 2005 (as an example) Tundra Access Cab with 6 foot bed has a 128.3" wheelbase, while the Double Cab with the same box has a 140.5" wheelbase - the one foot of difference is the cab, so the two have the same box, and the same spacing from cab to box.

An 8-foot box was available, but only with the regular cab; it was on the same 128.3" wheelbase as the double cab, with all of the extra space due to the shorter cab appearing as extra box length and extra cab-to-axle clearance.

Was there an access cab with 8-foot box, or an access cab with 6-foot box and longer wheelbase, missed in the Edmunds specs?
Hi - I just wanted to relate that I talked with Trademasters (the hitch company that works with Escape Trailer in Chilliwack). They indicated they have experience with the first generation Toyota Tundra and said there would be no issues with adding a properly functioning 5th wheel hitch.
So, I'm still considering different trucks, but with your help and after talking to Trademasters, I feel more confident that getting 1st gen Tundra would work just fine. Now if I can only find one with decent miles and in super condition - now that's another question!
Thanks again,
John
Old 08-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi - I just wanted to relate that I talked with Trademasters (the hitch company that works with Escape Trailer in Chilliwack). They indicated they have experience with the first generation Toyota Tundra and said there would be no issues with adding a properly functioning 5th wheel hitch.
Good news
Given what has been done with other trucks, my guess is that Trademasters would install the brackets for the hitch further back than the standard location (that is, behind the axle rather than just in front of it). As long as the GVWR and rear GAWR are not exceeded, this is a workable approach.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #16

I did not know that the access cab and double cab had the same bed learned something new. So either would work. When ETI gave me the minimum inches from cab needed I know there was room to spare with the hitch dead center on axle.

Dave
Old 08-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel0422 View Post
I did not know that the access cab and double cab had the same bed learned something new. So either would work. When ETI gave me the minimum inches from cab needed I know there was room to spare with the hitch dead center on axle.
Dave, what minimum distance did ETI give you for the 5.0TA, and what did you measure from cab to axle?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Dave, what minimum distance did ETI give you for the 5.0TA, and what did you measure from cab to axle?
Hi Brian - I happened to come across a nearby 2006 Tundra with double cab and was able to get a measurement. From the back of the cab to the center of the wheel well (I'm assuming the axel should be centered about there) was approximately 32 inches.
I don't know how that compares with other 6 foot plus beds or the short boxes.
John
Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
I happened to come across a nearby 2006 Tundra with double cab and was able to get a measurement. From the back of the cab to the center of the wheel well (I'm assuming the axel should be centered about there) was approximately 32 inches.
Thanks John
In the First generation Tundra thread, the best that I could determine as described in post #19 was 31" from the front of the box to the axle. That would be the inside of the box, so 32" to the back of the cab matches.

Quote:
I don't know how that compares with other 6 foot plus beds or the short boxes.
Other boxes around this size (which are usually about 6.5') have the axle roughly in middle of the box length, so they will more typically have over three feet (more than 36") from cab to axle.

In another thread, Bob mentioned the distance for an F-150:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
From what I saw on my hitch install instructions, the fifth wheel hitch is a fixed distance from the rear of the bed irregardless of the bed length. If you had the 6'6" bed you'd have 3' 6" clearance between the trailer and the cab etc.
That would put the cab-to-pin distance for an F-150 with 5.5' box at about 2'6"... which is 30", or about the same as the Tundra (the pin is an inch or two ahead of the axle). I doubt that's an accident - Toyota probably chose the cab-to-axle distance to match the short Ford/GM/Ram boxes, and threw in extra length on the back for people who want more cargo space.

This is a game in which mere inches matter, so the Tundra would presumably require setting the pin behind the axle, even if a typical 6.5' box truck gets away with the standard pin position.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #20

Brian,
ETI sent me this,
The distance from the cab to the hitch should be minimum 30” if the box is 5’ 5” in length.
If the box is 6’ or 6’6” mount it centered over the axle.
I measured approximately 32" from cab to center axle on my Tundra.

Dave