Pulling 5.0 in windy conditions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Going that slow on an interstate would be extremely dangerous. I wonder why it would be so low.
I spent 5 years in the Inland Empire, where this is was a yearly occurrence.

I remember riding my motorcycle into work and passing several flipped big rigs during the Santa Ana Winds one year.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
LuGreen - Having had bumper pulls from a 17' Casita and a 28' Forest River, windy conditions with them could become a scary issue. Now with our 5.0TA, it's a dream in windy Texas. We pulled from Denton TX, south to our TX coastal home during a strong cold front blowing 45+ from the west. Initially, I was concerned remembering our prior experiences with a strong side wind, but with our half ton PU and the 5.0, it was barely noticeable. In the Texas flat lands, there's nothing to stop the wind except a barbed wire fence. . .HaHa
Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
No need to skip those passes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd not avoid mountain passes. That's where the scenery is. Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas? You'll die of boredom.
I'm in full agreement with gbaglo. Picked up my 5.0 last June when Escape brought it through the border and handed it off to me in Sumas WA. We came back to Minnesota through every high pass we could find in the Cascades of WA, northern Idaho and Montana, down to and through the skinny no-shoulder roads of Yellowstone, over Colter Pass on the Beartooth Highway, Powder Pass in the Bighorns, etc... All the while, I marveled at how the 5.0 tracked and towed with virtually no buffeting from side winds or from passing other rigs and semis.

As stated by many others here, the wrong wind will hurt your mileage, but your Tundra should be smooth as silk in terms of stability. Go for the scenery!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200620_173039962_HDR (1).jpg   IMG_20200620_173022957_HDR.jpg  
Paul Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
The only time I felt the wind affect the 5.0TA was on the trip home from Chilliwack. On the 101 coming down the coast. The Astoria- Megler Bridge over the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon, very high bridge with significant cross winds. The 5.0 TA handled it fine, but I definitely knew it was back there.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Okay checking in after pulling my 5.0 thru most of I-70 in Colorado in windy conditions over mountain passes.

I went from Boulder, along the foothills, down to I-70.Then on to Rifle CO and up Hwy 13 to Meeker. I am presently sitting at the dinette waiting for Sunrise at a small campground. The host had a difficult time understanding how I did not need an electrical hook up. I pointed to the solar panels. $20 a night, no services.

Although much of the drive was without appreciable wind, several parts were memorable. The first blast that hit the truck caused me to move my left hand from my lap to the 10:00 position. It rocked the truck and camper.

It certainly got my attention, but the truck / trailer combo did not budge in the wind. It held it's ground nicely. I did not stray in the lane. A few more vigorous blasts and I started to grow accustomed to the disruptions. They were big!

Jim Bennett mentioned earlier in this thread, that he feels like the combo withstands wind better than a truck alone, and I do see why he says that. They seem to bolster each other. Winds of this size will buffet whatever they hit. The compression waves coming off of some big truckers as they drove opposite me were impressive. Still no budging.

There is a weak cold front sweeping over the state right now and the wind is substantial. This was a good test and I have great confidence in this rig. Anyone would grab the wheel firmly once these big winds start to hit you broadside. But the point is, the 5.0 handles wind very well. Much better than I realized, even after 10 trips. I just keep realizing it.

We are suppose to have quiet conditions and 50° temps this morning. This pic is the White River thru Meeker. I want to float a dry dropper combo over some of these pools and then dredge them with a wooly bugger later this morning, when it warms up. This is pre runoff fishing and the fish seems to up stacked up in their winter lies until this freestone stream warms. That'll be while. This is actually a really great time to get out.
Attached Thumbnails
white river.jpg   Zen at white river.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just to add another perspective, do not remember exactly where out west, but once on an elevation decline, a gust moved both my truck and camper over a complete lane. I was lucky the left lane was open and I was in the right lane initially.
Sometimes lady luck is your co-pilot........